red beard (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

motor mounts gusseted and welded in! my engine is now in place!
158B6F58-7BB1-4D20-8593-462324044A46.jpeg
image.jpg

and there’s lots of room along the fire wall and my fan fits without hitting the rad and my shifter doesn’t hit the heater! this just might work out!!

i did have to cut off the battery tray that was welded to the frame to get in there 🙄. there are so many things done poorly on this truck. little by little i’ll get them sorted

Last edited:
got a few more parts on finally. my points distributor had a broken part so i put in an electronic one.
B7516CA4-8A0E-445D-89CB-E6D985CD2597.jpeg

then as i can as cleaning up my valve cover this happened….
2EEB552A-DAA5-4C09-B5EE-D9329CCC121A.jpeg

somehow the edge caught me funny when my hand slipped. afternoon gone to go to emerg🙄

Thankfully it wasn’t worse than just a few stitches.

on a different note for those who use cork gaskets for valve covers do you put them on dry or do you use some form of gasket goo?

new 350 set in place. used the bread technique to get the pilot bearing out and put in in the new engine. fly wheel clutch and pressure plate on. next this afternoon is transmission. hope it all fits!! i may need to make some adjustments to the fit of motor but once the tranny is in i’ll do that.
View attachment 2440183View attachment 2440184View attachment 2440185View attachment 2440186
I've never seen "bread" used to remove a First Motion Shaft Bushing.. Neat! I have used a pile of wet Kleenexes.. It's pretty "soupy", but gets the job done (same with plain ol grease!)
Charles 1974 FJ40.

Thankfully it wasn’t worse than just a few stitches.

on a different note for those who use cork gaskets for valve covers do you put them on dry or do you use some form of gasket goo?
Franklin40;
When I install Cork Gaskets, I use "Copper-Coat" on both sides.. A bitch to take-off a few years later, BUT it doesn't leak oil!!
Charles 1974 FJ40

not really related to my build at all but didn’t want to start a new thread just to share these photos.
A45B5976-6F07-46D1-A4AC-799F1DE9707A.jpeg
A0729A68-EAFF-488F-8851-156B224ED01E.jpeg

they are of a beautifully restored 82 by the owner of ens toyota. they started selling these to the underground mines here in saskatchewan in 1976. they still run ens industrial which has been a huge supplier of landcruiser parts over many years. unfortunately the mines are going to electric so my local parts options are dwindling! they still have some stuff though!

it’s been a slow landcruiser year as i’ve been building a new house. i do have a son turning 13 this june though and his dream is a road trip in red beard for his turning a teenager. i have some work to do so i’ve given the middle bay of the new heated garage to getting to work! i have a snowmobile suspension to finish first then we’re back in businesses!!
DA704796-0AB4-4E4C-B0D8-7F17388C37ED.jpeg

Last edited:
started looking through city racers website (@Racer65 ) for the weatherstripping i’ll need. i’ve found most of it but will need the top and sides for the tail gate. racer do you sell that and i just missed it or is there another source i should be looking. again jan 1972 is my year

Last edited:
started looking through city racers website (@Racer65 ) for the weatherstripping i’ll need. i’ve found most of it but will need the top and sides for the tail gate. racer do you sell that and i just missed it or is there another source i should be looking. again jan 1972 is my year
Click on "Guides" near the top of the site. It'll take you to a page with links to all of the pieces for any year.

finally i got around to placing an order from @Racer65. lots of weather stripping stuff to seal the doors, hatch and firewall up! looking forward to getting that going.

i still have to get the clutch slave sorted but then the rest is pretty easy wiring to get ignition etc hooked up. still hoping by mid june to have it on the road!! fingers crossed 🤞life doesn’t have other plans for me!!

not really related to my build at all but didn’t want to start a new thread just to share these photos. View attachment 2835587View attachment 2835588

they are of a beautifully restored 82 by the owner of ens toyota. they started selling these to the underground mines here in saskatchewan in 1976. they still run ens industrial which has been a huge supplier of landcruiser parts over many years. unfortunately the mines are going to electric so my local parts options are dwindling! they still have some stuff
Awesome pics and info!
Thank you for sharing!

I have a qustion though: did the ENS Toyota dealership sell these trucks to the general public too?
If it was strictly related to the mines, is it correct that the general public (like you?) had, at least, access to the parts?

i’m not sure about sales to the general population back in the 70/80s but they absolutely had them for the mines. i actually got to go on a potash mine tour for an OH and S course in school. we drove about 40km underground in an old troopy to the mine face. i don’t think i learned anything that day. i was too in love with the truck!!

ens toyota is the dealer and ens industrial is the mine side of things. i was able to access parts from them until about a year ago when they stopped selling to the general public unfortunately. i have a cruiser friend though that works in the mine and has some access to them on my behalf!

the dealer is becoming just like every other dealer though. they don’t know landcruisers at all. i asked about some basic oil questions for an h55 tranny and they said i’d have to give them a vin or at least a vehicle year and model so they could look it up. they couldn’t just look up h55 transmission even though they can sell them new. 🙄

Last edited:
I can imagine what a experience for you as a teenager this ride on a troopie in the mine should be...
And yes, you're right, few people at today's dealerships have a clue and can help us in respekt to the Heavy Duty Series of Cruisers. 🙄
At least in our Western World...

Thanks for your input mate!

May I suppose we are about the same age?
At the time 40-Series were built we were students and most of us could not buy one.
Thanks God, at a later stage the dream came true!

Yes ens used to supply 45s for the mines. They would sell off the beds and heache rack for 2k or less cause the mines wanted flat decks. I know a guy who got 2 complete beds off them back in the early 90s or mid 80's. The 45 in the showroom was purchased at BJ auction a couple years ago for north of 100k

yep prices are crazy!! but it’s an awesome truck. i’m 42 years old now. i got the cruiser bug when i was about 24. i saw a nice 40 outside my old high school and figured i need to know what that is!! i was a chevelle guy at the time so knew enough that it wasn’t just another jeep. when i saw it was a toyota i knew i needed to own one. two years later i got ripped off on my first one and have loved them ever since. my blue one in my other threads is that first one. it’s undergone major surgery since and i’m hoping now that my house is built i can invest in it again and finish it.

got the clutch line built installed and bled! my clutch works!! so pumped about that i i wasn’t sure when i went to i stall it. i can have my son press the pedal and when i turn the output flange i can see the clutch plate spinning. clit h out and it all locks up! that’s a relief as i didn’t really want to drop the tranny again to put a new clutch in.

we also got all the engine plumbing done and some new fire wall grommets thanks to @Racer65 . exhaust was lengthened 4 inches for the new engine location. radiator installed. now i think i just have to sort out the rats nest of wiring and we’re in business! (oh and i have to adapt my 77 ebrake cable to the 72 pull handle)

sorry garage is a mess from another shelving project i’ve been working on. just overlook it!! 🤪

6AC3988A-D023-40FE-802D-CA675074BF6E.jpeg
3DEE9BA9-7C7C-40C9-865A-4C1414C26104.jpeg

on another note can anyone tell me what it would take to swap my 77 instrument cluster into the 72? would there be just wire connectors that would need to change? i haven’t taken any time to research it so sorry if it’s answered elsewhere. it was just a thought as i don’t think all my 72 gauges work. my 77 all did however and i’m going to go dakota digital for that truck build

Last edited:
alright! after waiting 4 months for the drive shafts to get built they are finally done. i’ll pick them up after work today. the guy does great work but forgot they were laying on his floor until i called him two weeks ago!

once i get my 1hdt back together i’ll be pulling red beard back into the garage to see if i can finish up wiring and door seals before winter!!

so slow progress is still being made on redbeard. i’ve been struggling to figure out the chevy wiring amongst a mess of wires. i think i have a direction now so hopefully that’ll get done soon.

went to toyota fest at ens in saskatoon and found inspiration to get going again.
IMG_6924.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom