Just another barn thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jomelo

SILVER Star
Threads
This is going to be slowly developing but I needed a place to write down what I’m doing. I’ve already hired mostly everyone and paid some deposits but we know how construction goes. I did go by the site today and the guys had started cutting down trees and hope to have the site generally formed up over the next few weeks.

2E927064-3A5C-43CE-81DB-79268E74D8DF.jpeg

I’m going to build two Morton barns. The first one will be enclosed and approximately 3,432 square feet. The second is just an open structure that is 36’ x 48’.

Despite @wngrog persuasion that I should build bigger, this is really the correct size for what I need. I’ve hired an architect to spruce up the Morton design. Here are a few renderings from the initial scope.

2F5E8B8D-932A-491C-A61F-923F386B3DE4.jpeg
3F57D413-965C-4AEC-8A35-C714CBA779E4.jpeg

The architect will take things from here as the project evolves a bit to have a closer match to my house.

Last edited:
This project involves a move for me. My current farm is about 20 miles south of the new property. My hobby barn is not close to my existing home so I was generally free to design it however. The barn on the new property will be sited fairly close to the house so I would like the barn to compliment the house.

The barn will be climate controlled. I know that much. I’m just now working out the details of the overall setup. I know that I need some space for my arcade and the fiancé has requested a gym. I’ve also got a few land cruisers to park.

good luck trying to keep the temperature controlled with those sliding doors!
I have them on both ends of my pole barn and they are horrible.
Look at roll up.
If you have a good way to sea them up please let me know!
Bobmo

good luck trying to keep the temperature controlled with those sliding doors!
I have them on both ends of my pole barn and they are horrible.
Look at roll up.
If you have a good way to sea them up please let me know!
Bobmo
@Bob Morazes the sliding doors are just for appearance. I will have insulated commercial roll-up doors behind them. Thinking about maybe doing glass doors to match as that what I’m going to do on the other two doors. That would allow me to slide open the exterior doors and let in a lot of natural light without actually opening the building.

Looks nice to me. I like the steeper roof pitch. So many boring 3/12 roof pole barns out there- Where's the class in that? Costs a few bucks more to go steeper, but it looks so much better!

I'd struggle with the sliding doors+ a roll up behind them. Makes the whole thing seem "fake" to me. There are some pretty nice roll up doors that would compliment your barn theme well enough. I would look at wood roll up options.

Looks nice to me. I like the steeper roof pitch. So many boring 3/12 roof pole barns out there- Where's the class in that? Costs a few bucks more to go steeper, but it looks so much better!

I'd struggle with the sliding doors+ a roll up behind them. Makes the whole thing seem "fake" to me. There are some pretty nice roll up doors that would compliment your barn theme well enough. I would look at wood roll up options.
Not sure what you mean by fake. At least one of them will have a desired use. Specifically, I want to be able to open the door and let in sunlight but also have the glass doors behind. I do not like bugs and dirt in the building and it gets pretty hot in the summer. I honestly may never actually take cars out of that entry. But I do like having the ability to get a lot of natural sunlight through the entry via a glass door.

The other sliding door actually will just be for looks. My arcade is on that side of the building so there will be no windows or exterior entry. The architect may come up with something different on that side so it’s really just a placeholder.

Not sure what you mean by fake.
I mean it's obvious to most people with a functioning brain that the sliding doors are just for looks. They are non-functional; fake.

It's your barn- Do it how you like.

Hangar doors are neat. The bifold versions don't seal well at all and are very slow to open. Hydraulic hangar doors are nice, but they require a lot of infrastructure for such a small door and the top hinge of most commercially made ones can be ugly if you're trying to blend in. Typically hangar doors become a thing when you get an aircraft sized door.

I mean it's obvious to most people with a functioning brain that the sliding doors are just for looks. They are non-functional; fake.

Hangar doors are neat. The bifold versions don't seal well at all and are very slow to open. Hydraulic hangar doors are nice, but they require a lot of infrastructure for such a small door and the top hinge of most commercially made ones can be ugly if you're trying to blend in. Typically hangar doors become a thing when you get an aircraft sized door.
But for the sliding barn doors I would have light shining through my solid glass roll up door. So they do have some use. I really doubt that anything that makes it to the final build will be fake. These renderings are still very much early stages. I just hired the architect last week and I’m certain he will spend every bit of his allotted budget and then some.

Truth here, I have a Schweiss Bifold door on my hangar. Seems like forever to open it to the 12' height. Son of a gun is crazy heavy also but is 45'. They are built well and personally I never even considered this type door for my barn.

Truth here, I have a Schweiss Bifold door on my hangar. Seems like forever to open it to the 12' height. Son of a gun is crazy heavy also but is 45'. They are built well and personally I never even considered this type door for my barn.
I know if they want to put anything like what’s been on my last couple of leased hangars then it’s probably not going to work. It really needs to seal well because I hate having bugs and dirt in the shop.

Yeah, Schweiss sells kit to try and seal the door but I have always been too cheap and now I am selling the hangar and could care less. I have never seen a hangar door seal very well.

Yeah, Schweiss sells kit to try and seal the door but I have always been too cheap and now I am selling the hangar and could care less. I have never seen a hangar door seal very well.
We don’t have any airports nearby with privately owned hangars. I’ve flown into several spots that offered such amenities and have had some envy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom