Builds ‘82 FJ45 build thread..... no name yet (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I spent way too much time searching for a oil pressure and fuel gauge gremlin. The oil pressure gauge just had a weak connection with the barrel fitting on the instrument cluster and the fuel gauge turned out to be a bad ground at the sending unit…… i’ve been doing this for four decades and a bad ground is still one of the last things I always check,🙄

Warning to the purest- don’t look at the tool box door I cobbled together. I could not find an original so I thought I would give this a shot. It is better than nothing and easily removable if an original one is ever found

D393CB26-3C94-4362-932D-1651D94CA9A5.jpeg
314E6E92-76D7-4DCE-B4F2-7CDB6F33416A.jpeg
DEB0CD4F-0ACC-4885-A354-CF62282B3469.jpeg

My to do list is getting quite small now while I wait for the auction to go live..gave the shop a thorough cleaning, installed some jumpseat restraining straps, and I’m waiting for a radio delete plate

So far I have taken her on three extended shakedown drives. 80-80-100 miles each. No major issues to report, just some minor tweaking. But she runs nice and cool and nice stable power.
AE221A0D-9A79-4ADB-AFAA-4CEFA6FAC1B4.jpeg
24E963BB-FE8E-445B-AF8B-CC0BCFB98FC3.jpeg
856D67CB-2343-4B2D-8864-68377A8F4B94.jpeg

Post up a link to the auction site once it's listed if you're willing... I've got a restored one on the way that I'm likely going to sell and I'm curious what these are going for.

Here is the best market intelligence I could find on US troopy sales over the last several years
It only includes auctions so no idea what private party sales are like.
19C5BE27-378F-489E-93AF-6B2F70E4E76C.png

Dang, there go all of my hopes of driving a cool troopy! Guess I'll just drive my 40 around until it dies.

Dang, there go all of my hopes of driving a cool troopy! Guess I'll just drive my 40 around until it dies.
Those previous owners would be turning over in their grave to see what these things have become - Tractor to treasure!

Interesting to see how horizontal the line is (looking at the average). I would have expected more of a Covid inflation effect than that shows.
Either way, I’m curious to see what you take on next, having followed your build all the way through. Nice project! I hope you see the $78k mark!

Interesting to see how horizontal the line is (looking at the average). I would have expected more of a Covid inflation effect than that shows.
Either way, I’m curious to see what you take on next, having followed your build all the way through. Nice project! I hope you see the $78k mark!
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed the thread ( I hope your build goes well😉).
Lord willing my next build will be in a different forum ( something in this vein )
F3D12207-5F64-4415-9034-24B0D2469FEC.jpeg

Thank you Arizona brother for sharing!
Enjoy your great work on this Middle East Troopie, as much as you can!
Hope to meet one day...:cheers:

Thank you Arizona brother for sharing!
Enjoy your great work on this Middle East Troopie, as much as you can!
Hope to meet one day...:cheers:
Thank you, I hope you enjoyed the thread. I certainly enjoyed the build and hope it was an inspiration to others to start one of their own. I m sure there is another TLC in my future, but for now I am going to try a different flavor !
If your travels ever take you to AZ or ID, let me know would love to get together.

Auction just went live tonight...

Well the auction concluded yesterday afternoon, and while there was a lot of action and bidding - reserve not met.....
Oh well, this outcome just give me a reason to keep and enjoy her for a while longer. No plans for any upgrade this summer, but next winter I will reassess. She needs to take a nap for the summer.

Well the auction concluded yesterday afternoon, and while there was a lot of action and bidding - reserve not met.....
Oh well, this outcome just give me a reason to keep and enjoy her for a while longer. No plans for any upgrade this summer, but next winter I will reassess. She needs to take a nap for the summer.
Sorry to hear this. It’s a great rig. Wish I had the scratch to step in (not that I need her). Keep the faith.

Thanks for the encouraging words, everything will work out and like you said I’ll have a chance to enjoy it some more. I know I said I was putting her down for the summer while I’m out of town but my wheels are already turning the “fer -sures”
Are some new tires I’ll probably keep the splits for now I like that look, full floor mats for cargo and passenger area, maybe a retro radio, and then think about power steering and HVAC but those are still a ?

Just in case you think I’ve been laying on the sofa eating bonbons that annoying drip from the rear oil main on my 2001 suburban with 300,000 miles has turned into a full fledge hemorrhage from everything down below. So she got new front and rear seals oil pan gasket etc. just put in the last of the heavy pieces back there now in time for my trip up north
500327D0-5755-4A8E-A45D-7BAB02651FB9.jpeg
CAF643CB-D2C0-4628-9C65-1878B710DEC9.jpeg
3E5CBC64-6C16-403C-B3F4-7359C29F1CC5.jpeg

I have her all tucked in for the Summer. For the first time in my life I own a vehicle up on cinderblocks 😜

Fluids are all fresh, battery is disconnected, and the tires are just off the concrete. The windows are cracked slightly and the plastic is loose fitting as we get several dust storms which creep into the garage.

On a different note I’ve got my old suburban all buttoned up and she’ll be making the trip to Idaho so my new 4Runner is going to spend the summer here. I’ve got stabil in the tank, a nice cover for it and will get it up off the ground but had a question about the electronics. Rather than attach a battery tender I am leaning towards just disconnecting the battery. I prefer to shut off power to the garage while I’m away, just in case. It will be about five or six months in total do you guys have any thoughts on that plan of action?

A6989347-5050-4873-B394-A49B48D4217F.jpeg
DE3B0FC8-8A6A-4B9F-9DFC-9D8E6451A857.jpeg

I have used Sea Foam instead of Stabil for the last few years. I think either will work but they work differently. For the last 4 years I have had multiple vehicles sit with the negative leg of the battery off (nothing special about the negative side; it just typically has less junk attached) for months without issue. I typically make sure the tanks are full or nearly full. Doubt you have the humidity issues that we have in the southeast though.

I have used Sea Foam instead of Stabil for the last few years. I think either will work but they work differently. For the last 4 years I have had multiple vehicles sit with the negative leg of the battery off (nothing special about the negative side; it just typically has less junk attached) for months without issue. I typically make sure the tanks are full or nearly full. Doubt you have the humidity issues that we have in the southeast though.
Cool - I was not sure if the on board electronics on the new Toyota had any problem with taking a long nap.

Cool - I was not sure if the on board electronics on the new Toyota had any problem with taking a long nap.
No more so than changing a battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom