OEM front window sprayer upgrade (3 nozzle) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

asutherland

VA7 HDT
Threads
Website
www.forgottenbc.ca
Hopefully this isn't a repeat :) I did a very typical 80 series owner thing and made a short video on an easy oem windshield sprayer upgrade.

Part numbers:
NOZZLE, FR WASHER, 85381-42070 (need two)
TUBE, RUBBER, 90099-33080 (optional)
CLIP, 90467-09014 (optional)

Is it actually more volume of fluid coming out of the new nozzles (same pump and hose diameter), or just three thinner streams spread out more than the original nozzles??

A better test (IMHO) of the spray pattern would be while driving especially at highway speed.

Example: I recall driving a rented Ford Escape a couple years ago. When I used the washers at 70mph the fluid would hit the very bottom of the windshield IMO due to multiple weak streams being pushed downward by airflow over the hood.

So we need two more videos to complete this experiment::)

First, collect the volume of fluid sprayed out of the original nozzles and then the replacement nozzles for a set period of time (same hoses and pump for both), say 5 or 10 seconds for each nozzle type (higher the time/volume, less effect of any errors).

Then compare results.

For the next video compare spray patterns (properly adjusted nozzles) at highway speed.

PS to the OP: do you still have the hood insulation pad in place?

Last edited:
I like this idea @asutherland . I will still have the two nozzles for my windshield and then one for the car behind me riding my bumper on my way to the grocery store (I hate the mall). I didn’t watch the video but I am sure it’s good. Let us know with a follow up on volume of flow as @Kernal suggested. In video form please. Dang, now I have to watch the video so I can critique the follow up one. Cheers.

Edit: “Dad Noises”. Love that statement. I do not see the need for a follow up as the second set of nozzles clearly covers the majority of the window. Thanks for sharing.

The volume of fluid coming out has been described as a deluge.
It woks well.

Thanks guys! Lol yes, Dad noises. Definitely a thing.

@Kernal there is definitely more fluid coming out, and more importantly covering more of the window space. I'd recommend spending the $40. I do still have my under hood insulation.

I agree, it appears that the new washers may be putting more water on the windshield, a video of how the water hits the windshield at highway speed
would be instructive.

So this mod is likely an improvement, but then in over 20+ years and 300,000 miles I've never had a problem with my stock washer nozzles using clean wiper blades in good shape.

I'm more interested in how the OP did the swap in two minutes with the hood insulation in place?? That could be video #4. ;)

I've already spent enough time making videos, but feel free ;)

Had I not had a dead sprayer I probably wouldn't have bothered doing this. But figured I might as well, if I'm replacing one anyway :)

I have a top mount intercooler which the hood scoop is directly in front of the sprayers. So it was easy to pull it back enough to pop them out/in.

just replaced new pump, new diverter, 2 new nozzles and piss-poor spray coming out. Any ideas?

just replaced new pump, new diverter, 2 new nozzles and piss-poor spray coming out. Any ideas?
Did you adjust the nozzle spray? My new ones were way too low until I adjusted them.

Interesting; just yesterday I noticed that one of the right side (original) nozzles started to spray better than it had been doing, so a plug of something blew out??

Maybe time for all of us to do a PM on that system??

Interesting; just yesterday I noticed that one of the right side (original) nozzles started to spray better than it had been doing, so a plug of something blew out??

Maybe time for all of us to do a PM on that system??
washer nozzle PM......god help us all.

FYI to those looking to go even more "modern". Hate the 2/3 stream ones. On my SC300 I replaced the 2 stream with misting ones found on the 04+ LS430/ES330s. Bought some ES330 ones for my 80 and it shoots directly at the wipers. No bueno.
Actually just typing this out I think I found a solution. Seems like they kept using the 3 nozzles through the entire 100 series/GX470 run. The nozzles for the 06 Tundras appear to be the misting type, and shouldn't shoot too low. Gonna give those a try. ***EDIT: Looks like someone beat me several years ago Fan spray washer nozzles? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fan-spray-washer-nozzles.680192/page-4#post-12615918

Last edited:
Aside from rain, the only reason I use wipers is for mud. I found drilling them out produces a ton of water and removes mud much more effectively. Much more water than any stock Toyota nozzle and its free.
What's your technique there, @LandCruiserPhil ? What size do you drill them out to? Thanks for posting.

Honda spray nozzles worked for me…nice misty. Fan spray.

Honda spray nozzles worked for me…nice misty. Fan spray.
I do like the misty sprayers. Which Honda ones did you use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom