HZJ75 front left wheel bearing working loose? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone had this issue and what was the cause?

The problem initially started after getting water in the swivel housing which intern ended up in the hub ceasing the outer bearing. The bearing spun on the stub axl, thust washer broke the tab off and in-turn loosened the bearing.
I replaced the bearing out in the middle of no where whith a new one. At the time I didn’t have a replacement thust washer and for the next 1000 klm to get home I had to retighten it 4-5 times on the side of the road.

After getting home I pulled it all down replaced all the seals in the swivel housing, re greased all the bearings.

Just been away again on a little bit of corrugated road and again it has come loose.

I have my suspicions of what may be causing it but want to hear from other experience.

Thanks in advance

CEC01716-B6B7-48C4-9353-D086580BA7D6.jpeg

CA9B64E1-D4DB-483C-9B2A-ABFA4C5F6A3E.jpeg

24CAC8CA-F504-4ADE-8E5F-36A8B9831579.jpeg

I'm (mostly) guessing here but if the tab was broken off the thrust washer there's nothing stable for the adjusting nut to lock against. Improper preload could also cause the bearings to loosen up after a few hundred k's.

I'm (mostly) guessing here but if the tab was broken off the thrust washer there's nothing stable for the adjusting nut to lock against. Improper preload could also cause the bearings to loosen up after a few hundred k's.
That was my initial thought. But when I got home and did the overhaul I replaced the thust washer and it has come loose again.

That was my initial thought. But when I got home and did the overhaul I replaced the thust washer and it has come loose again.

You going to the 48inlbs?

Cheers

Interesting that one of my manuals tells us to pre-load to 65ft/lbs vs 48, I then loosen and torque inner nut to 20ftlbs rather than factory spec... especially with bigger tires. Make certain your thrust washer is in decent shape and bend the serated washer tabs in and out over your second lock nut.

The 48ft/Lbs is about 68Nm.Yes preload the bearing to spec and then back it off. Haven’t seen the 20ft/Lbs before but that is about it. We would always preload and give the wheel a good spin. Then back it off to just tighter than had tight which would be around the 20 mark.

my book says 59Nm. Then talks about using a spring gauge to measure the effort to turn the hub

Last edited:
Do the pre-load as per FSM then tighten inner nut to 20ft/lbs. Outer nut to 48ft/lbs.
Then go for a drive!
I currently have 3 land cruisers on the road and all get the same treatment.
All three have driven across Canada with no bearing issues.

Do the pre-load as per FSM then tighten inner nut to 20ft/lbs. Outer nut to 48ft/lbs.
Then go for a drive!
I currently have 3 land cruisers on the road and all get the same treatment.
All three have driven across Canada with no bearing issues.
^^^ this.
If you spun a bearing you may have damaged the spindle ?

Do you have any closeup photos of the spindle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom