Builds Unicorns are real... My dream car FJ73 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

European park lights? They needed outside lights on in park I believe
In EU you must illuminate your car when parking in the dark outside city limits and outside artificial external lights such as street lights.
You also must have a light setting one step blow driving lights *on all 4 corners*, which is called 'Parking lights' although it is not only for that purpose.
Yes, there are respective additional smaller bulbs in the lights for that purpose, but only on the front. In the rear the normal driving lights are used.
For nighttime parking, you are allowed to only illuminate the street-side lights on your car. So some vehicles come with an option to switch one side of the parking lights only (usually by setting the indicator stick to set side and then shut off the car lights), in order to save on battery. But that's always an add-on only and has no effect on bulbs in the rear at all. Don't know which LC models have that option. Mine hasn't.
Cheers Ralf

Beat me to it. Looks like that is correct. There should be reverse on either side and I believe a low vis/fog light on the one side.

View attachment 2967623
No idea on what combos there are for original upper+bumper rear lights. I was referring to single upper rear combo's only.
Mine has reflectors in the bumper only to cover the holes. It used to have a trailer hitch, so all lights had to be moved up to make sure the trailer isn't blocking them. In EU the lights on both, trailer and trailing vehicle, must be visible at all times.
So, in your combo there surely is more space to accommodate two reverse and two rear foglights at same time. But,again no idea what is common in that setup...

Be carefully if you wire or rewire it differently as it really makes trailer wiring difficult.

Yes, I am wiring the trailer wires right now as I am doing this... so going to integrate it all while I extend the lines to the driver side.... Mine is a 92 from Spain so has the bumper turns and brakes/park and it sounds like one light on both sides are reverse. The only question is how to turn on the fog lights, the one extra light on the driver side... The passenger side is blacked out in that spot.

1648759948375.png

1648760192467.png

Be carefully if you wire or rewire it differently as it really makes trailer wiring difficult.
I had turn tail and brake in my bumper. I wired to that with my new bumper and lights. My reverse floodlight on the roof rack is connected to the left rear backup in the body. Toyota uses a 4 wire vs 3 wire tail light. If you use a 3 to 4 converter it will burn out if you are 24v. It may be fine with 12v. LED s cause other problems with the flasher............after all aftermarket lights and converter burned up I cut holes in the tail light housing and each housing has 3 seperated 24v led bulbs. My trailer has tail only and I drive conservatively with trailer.....fog lights use factory switch and wiring. My light bar is 24/12 v led.

Just about to get the wiring done on the rear lights. anyone know what electronic flasher to use to be able to have LED lights?

This is what I used on my 80.

Amazon product ASIN B00064LQLC

You can g
Just about to get the wiring done on the rear lights. anyone know what electronic flasher to use to be able to have LED lights?

This is what I used on my 80.

Amazon product ASIN B00064LQLC
You can get an electronic flasher relay (not thermal) that will flash your turn signals in the normal rate even with LED. ...........That being said, does it really matter if they flash slow or fast? If it doesn't matter you can probably just use the flasher you have with the LEDs.

Can u pull the relay out and give the pn? I recently put an led relay in 100 series.

Can u pull the relay out and give the pn? I recently put an led relay in 100 series.
Busy doing relic run for the next few days, but it is the generic electronic flasher from O'Reilly's auto parts. Only 2 wires . My factory flasher was replaced before by previous owner. So I had wires terminals to plug to not a factory socket.

Yes, I am wiring the trailer wires right now as I am doing this... so going to integrate it all while I extend the lines to the driver side.... Mine is a 92 from Spain so has the bumper turns and brakes/park and it sounds like one light on both sides are reverse. The only question is how to turn on the fog lights, the one extra light on the driver side... The passenger side is blacked out in that spot.

View attachment 2967868

View attachment 2967871

Man, that is a good looking Cruiser. 🥰

Cheers

The battery hold down was missing when I bought this... so just ordered another one.

Went to install it and realized that the bolt was missing as well, and it does not appear to be a standard part sold separately, and when looking at the lower tray, not a straight normal bent end piece either -- but I am not sure. Anyone have one loose that they can send me a pic of what the end of that bolt looks like and I can make one?

1650026888629.png

The end of that bolt is encapsulated buy a metal cover that is riveted to the tray. I can't feel or see what's under the cover.
20220415_120442.jpg
20220415_120536.jpg

The end of that bolt is encapsulated buy a metal cover that is riveted to the tray. I can't feel or see what's under the cover.View attachment 2982420View attachment 2982421
Thanks for those pics.... Only idea I have short of buying a new tray is I can drill through that metal cap that is riveted and make some sort of curved washer to follow that profile....

Thanks for those pics.... Only idea I have short of buying a new tray is I can drill through that metal cap that is riveted and make some sort of curved washer to follow that profile....

I can tell you that the trays in my BJ74 have been into at some point because mine has little bolts and nuts instead of rivets. The tray I photographed is a vehicle in the museum.

Weld a tab on and use a j hook from just about any other toyota

Paging @Loober I think he came up with a better solution than those OEM composite trays.

I ended up using aftermarket steel battery trays all together, the rear stock tray cracked and allowed the battery to shift jamming the pos terminal under the firewall pinch weld while off roading. It nearly burned my truck down, so given that experience I have a very conservative viewpoint on anything having to do with battery hold downs.

Here is the thread describing the incident, I urge every 24v 70 series owner to keep a close eye on those trays, and make sure the positive terminal on the rear battery is very well insulated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom