Builds A 13 Year Old and His Future '76 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's been a LONG time since I've posted, but a buddy of mine reminded me that I should post the finished product of our build. This experience of rebuilding this FJ with my son has been incredible, to say the least. We learned more than I could have imagined. A lot off what we learned came right from this forum so thanks mudders!

A034359D-5B1D-450A-8F67-34AD3456671D.jpeg

AEA00FD2-F2E0-40E0-97E8-45A43108BE9A.jpeg

A993509C-E8B1-4ABD-BB2C-346868571D0B.jpeg

4B93689C-81A1-4D32-8FC9-D2B651D70445.jpeg

FCA3C45B-2E20-48F6-A40F-B4B17977AB3B.jpeg

Beautiful work!

Nice! Just starting the process now with my 15 year old and our recently-acquired 78. We are just down the road from you. I may have to message you for some advice/pointers. Thanks for posting the pics!

It's been a LONG time since I've posted, but a buddy of mine reminded me that I should post the finished product of our build. This experience of rebuilding this FJ with my son has been incredible, to say the least. We learned more than I could have imagined. A lot off what we learned came right from this forum so thanks mudders!

View attachment 2980957

Excellent job guys! I love that 416 beige. My Feb. '76 was originally that color, but it's a P.O.S. ( Previous Owner Silver) currently.
Our v.i.n.'s are sorta close 212050 & 218787.

Definitely something to be proud of. Did notice the piece your spare mounts on is upside-down. Not sure if the spare will clear the bumperette or block the tail light? The stud for the lock goes in the four o'clock position.

Last edited:
Nice! Just starting the process now with my 15 year old and our recently-acquired 78. We are just down the road from you. I may have to message you for some advice/pointers. Thanks for posting the pics!
That's awesome! It was definitely a long journey for my son and me, and we made more mistakes than we had successes it felt like sometimes! But we have hours and hours invested into this truck. I do kinda wish I would have kept a better journal of it all on this forum as I know there are so many enthusiasts on here. We came into this not knowing how to weld, having a pretty basic knowledge of mechanics, having no knowledge of bodywork, and had to learn it all through forums like this and LOTS of YouTube videos. So for anyone reading this that just bought an old FJ and is thinking they just got in way over their head, take it from me, you can do it:)

You did all that in a couple of years??? Amazing! Inspired to get my build finished... er, at least ready to run for the summer!
We trailered this home from Colorado to Utah winter of 2018-2019. Most of the work was at night, and we had really slow-moving projects along the way (for us that was mostly the metalwork....this took us almost a year to get to where we wanted it.). But yeah, in a few years it went from what you see on the first posts to what it is now. Most of the time the truck was completely unrecognizable! But it came together nicely in the end.

Definitely something to be proud of. Did notice the piece your spare mounts on is upside-down. Not sure if the spare will clear the bumperette or block the tail light? The stud for the lock goes in the four o'clock position. This is where it is on my 76. Sorry do not have a picture handy without the other cruiser.
View attachment 2981134
That's good to know! Good find! We'll have to change that up.

That's awesome!! Are you in Heber?? Treasure the time with your boy. I would miss the truck if I ever had to get rid of it, but not near as much as I would miss the memories I made with my son over these past few years if I had never done this project. Take lots of pics, dream about the end result with your son often, and don't ever give up on it, because there will be a LOT of discouraging times if you're anything like me;). My son and I were true rookies when it came to this project, and the only thing we had going for us was getting in the garage, turning on some good music, and tackling each project one step at a time. (Then usually redoing that step 3 or 4 times....uggg)

Wow, usually threads like these go in the complete opposite direction, congrats.
just in time for him to take it to HS, right? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom