Advice on possible purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

First thing, just found this, haven’t seen it in person and don’t really have time to go check it out before the auction ends. I’ve never owned an 80 so I’ve got nothing to go on, whether I should even bid or if this thing is too much of a disaster (see interior pics).

I guess I’m just trying to get a feel if anybody could advise me on why I shouldn’t bid? Not knowing anything about the vehicle other than what you see in pics and the 240k on the odometer. This would just be a project for me.

$60,000

Man, that interior is sketchy. The only issue for me would be rust. No frame pictures and the rear quarters that are rust-prone are hidden by the bumper wings. No engine pictures. I would guess it will go for about $8000. Just depends on how comfortable you are with that. I would assume it needs every possible mechanic check box done.

First thing to do is remove the link in your original message as there are a lot of flippers out there who will out-bid you.

But to answer your question: the cost to get one of these back into service
can be between (WAG) $3000-15,000 depending on what you can fix yourself
and what service has already been done, what needs to be done, whether the head gasket has been leaking or is about to blow. And then the condition of the paint (peeling, fading) if that is a concern, then the condition of the interior, torn/ripped seats, carpet stains, dash cracked, etc,etc.

IMHO assuming no current major issues maybe $3500-4500 sight unseen without a pre-buy inspection. If it's rusting out, pass.

FWIW

Last edited:
@Kernal it crossed my mind posting a link could lead to someone out bidding me. If someone wants it more than me, have at it.

Like you and @zapatius both mentioned I don’t know the condition of the undercarriage/rust, so I’m probably not going to bid.

IMHO, you may have a hard time finding/buying an 80 as you have to be a bit aggressive (and secretive if you find a good one) but also do your homework as these often sell very fast, if they don't there's usually something major wrong with them.

But then you might get lucky, find a seller who doesn't use the internet much, it does happen now and then.

@Kernal it crossed my mind posting a link could lead to someone out bidding me. If someone wants it more than me, have at it.

Like you and @zapatius both mentioned I don’t know the condition of the undercarriage/rust, so I’m probably not going to bid.
Bidding ends in 3 hours?

Honestly, I'd bid on that if I wasn't in the middle of the country and have to pick it up in two days.

My interior looked like that except add 40 gal of water to the floorboards, and a little more dog food.

Body is in OK shape.

Judging the undercarriage rust by the rear hitch, the undercarriage will have surface rust, but no "holes". It may be bad for you Westerners, but that's a rust-free truck for MidWest and East Coasters.....

I'll bet I could fly there, pick it up, run a vacuum through it, do some oil changes, and drive it 29 hours home. Be a nice vacation. By myself.

At least they left some dental flossers in the truck so you can save there. :vomit:🤮:vomit:🤮

That and the air fresheners are a good sign.

Looks like possible mold stains on the steering wheel (air bag); if that'swhat those stains are it could indicate there's been water leaking into the cabin (windshield, sunroof, rear quarter windows).

At least they left some dental flossers in the truck so you can save there. :vomit:🤮:vomit:🤮

That and the air fresheners are a good sign.
:hmm::hmm::hmm: I wonder why the interior of this truck smells bad?

Oh well, go get some more air fresheners!

Looks like possible mold stains on the steering wheel (air bag); if that'swhat those stains are it could indicate there's been water leaking into the cabin (windshield, sunroof, rear quarter windows).
Exactly what I thought.

Drive it home with the heat on high, a particle mask on, and the windows down!

It would cost me about $2K to go get it and drive it home.

Too bad it's a LX450.

Easy there on the LX’s. You get all the original quality of the LC, with a bazillion additional holes in the body for drainage/ventilation :)

Ew, what is that build-up around the shifter? Between that and the dual air fresheners, I bet that thing smells like an old gym sock.

That's not necessarily bad. It just depends on how much work you're willing to do. Since it appears to be a Washington truck, it's *probably* relatively rust-free.

The rest of the interior pretty much looks like average for the current market. Expect to spend money on quality replacement seat covers, or lots of duct tape.

Yikes, I wouldn't even know where to start with that interior. Maybe ozone and a deep cleaning would do the trick, but mold like that can total a car. Looks like somebody spilled their Chili all over the front seats then gave up on it.

Also seems like it's been sitting for a while too so there could be rust in the cylinders. Whoever buys it better be ready for a massive project.

The first thing I'd do is pay for a VIN check. They're nowhere near comprehensive, but it will at least tell you where the vehicle has lived and some basic info on some maintenance.

If it's ever been registered in the Midwest or New England, run!

If this is your first 80 series, personally I would wait, do some research, look at a few trucks and be prepared to execute with full knowledge and preparation.

It is a 240k mile unlocked LX, maybe not bad, but could be, so if you miss out on this one there will be another!

Enjoy the 80 series journey, it is plenty of fun and a few heartaches along the way, but fortunately there are plenty of us folks on here that have already been there and done that to learn from!

Man, that interior is sketchy. The only issue for me would be rust. No frame pictures and the rear quarters that are rust-prone are hidden by the bumper wings. No engine pictures. I would guess it will go for about $8000. Just depends on how comfortable you are with that. I would assume it needs every possible mechanic check box done.
I'd say you nailed it.

$7100.

The first thing I'd do is pay for a VIN check. They're nowhere near comprehensive, but it will at least tell you where the vehicle has lived and some basic info on some maintenance.

If it's ever been registered in the Midwest or New England, run!
Who Whoa... Some of use up here treat their vehicle's with respect.. I'll let you know when I meet one of those people

Times they are a changin'. 5 years ago that would have been a $1,500.00 truck. :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom