ISO 1HDT Mechanic (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long story short, I’m going through a divorce and sold my house so I don’t have the space to do the work on my engine that I need to. I have an HZJ73 that I swapped a 1HDT into in 2020. If y’all have anyone to recommend, I’d appreciate it. I’m in Texas but don’t mind towing the rig out of state for a good mechanic who can get the engine straightened out and tuned. Thanks

They basically told me they wouldn't touch my rig since they can no longer get "genuine toyota parts". Pretty sad as I have my 80 and a 60 that needs a little TLC...
You can still easily get them on partsouq and McGeorge among others, so I’m not sure they they’d say that. Maybe you had an issue which involved an NLA part?

Really? I thought 80 series cruisers were their specialty. Why couldn't they get OEM parts?
The issue is lately that due to our work load it is difficult for us to perform general repair on the older vehicles. Issues arise with parts availability from Toyota on replacement parts like proportioning valves, brake backing plates etc etc. So you get stuck in a job with a truck occupying space that needs to sit for weeks to get parts sourced, if even possible.

It is certainly possible to source some internationally or some other non-oe sources, it is just that our workflow is just not set up to do that. We try to give the best service and be upfront with customers about this. We still do complete vehicle builds on 80's with associated maintenance etc that is needed to do the builds, but we do like to tell people up front what the expectations should be.

When we do not see a path open to give the best service in a timely matter we will likely decline to do the work.

The issue is lately that due to our work load it is difficult for us to perform general repair on the older vehicles. Issues arise with parts availability from Toyota on replacement parts like proportioning valves, brake backing plates etc etc. So you get stuck in a job with a truck occupying space that needs to sit for weeks to get parts sourced, if even possible.

It is certainly possible to source some internationally or some other non-oe sources, it is just that our workflow is just not set up to do that. We try to give the best service and be upfront with customers about this. We still do complete vehicle builds on 80's with associated maintenance etc that is needed to do the builds, but we do like to tell people up front what the expectations should be.

When we do not see a path open to give the best service in a timely matter we will likely decline to do the work.
Thanks for the clarification. Sorry if it came off like I was casting aspersions on your shop without knowing what's going on, really I was just curious.

For sure supply chains have been screwed lately besides it being an old truck, but maybe Toyota's heritage parts program will help.

Last edited:
It's business. Nothing more, nothing less. :meh:
Yeah I would've thought the J80 has enough of a following around the world to make it economical to keep developing parts, but then obviously I'm not the one crunching the numbers for Toyota, in fact I think I remember you saying they have an algorithm which determines when it's no longer profitable to produce a part.

Long story short, I’m going through a divorce and sold my house so I don’t have the space to do the work on my engine that I need to. I have an HZJ73 that I swapped a 1HDT into in 2020. If y’all have anyone to recommend, I’d appreciate it. I’m in Texas but don’t mind towing the rig out of state for a good mechanic who can get the engine straightened out and tuned. Thanks

working at a shop in Tucson? It would be a bit of a hike from Texas but probably worth it.

Olc4x4 south of Tucson, I see them building diesels on Instagram all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom