Rear Swingout DIY's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Interested in seeing any DIY rear swingouts.

I've googled and found several, but most times those lead to old threads with missing pictures and whatnot.

I plan on making my own, and contemplate;

Cutting a hole in the rear most crossmember and tie in my own hitch receiver between the frame rails to start

Or

Cur the rearmost crossmember and fabricate a new one as a base for my rear swingout

The first option is most likely, but who knows.

I did one, I’m sure I have some pictures, maybe in my ultra low roof rack build thread or the Cody’s white 80 rebuild thread.

If I did it again, I’d cut out the crossmember and weld in a structure to the frame.

When I did the rear with swingouts I cut a square hole in the factory crossmember and welded in receiver hitch and did some triangle gussets.

Also changed the rear aluminum step on the bumper so it folds up, easier to get at the hitch pin ten climbing under the truck.

97342656-A5C1-40DC-A6CD-36D0B6D12521.jpeg

AF6E2FA3-1047-4272-AEB7-988F22E90C07.jpeg

Herre's what I did. Used the spindle mount from Ruffstuff.

More details in the thread linked in my signature or here Custom Rear Plate Bumper - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/custom-rear-plate-bumper.873429/

I built it one way the first time and rebuilt it a little later when I decided to center the tire. Either way worked fine and does not move at all. The best thing I did to it was to angle the clamp that holds it closed (last picture). It makes latching and unlatching effortless while still holding the bumper tight.

20160222_194513 (800x450).jpg

20160222_194522 (800x450).jpg

20160222_194545 (800x450).jpg

IMG_0017.JPEG

IMG_0018.JPEG

Last edited:
At $700 before shipping for some metal, not worth it.

But it does look good!

The 4x4Labs DIY rear bumper is still the best value on the market after all these years - and IMO the best looking. Sure you can do it cheaper by slapping on some square tube but it won't be as functional and will probably look like crap. You just can't get the bends and contours of the Labs bumper unless you have access to some serious machinery, which most DIY guys don't.

The 4x4Labs DIY rear bumper is still the best value on the market after all these years - and IMO the best looking. Sure you can do it cheaper by slapping on some square tube but it won't be as functional and will probably look like crap. You just can't get the bends and contours of the Labs bumper unless you have access to some serious machinery, which most DIY guys don't.

You're right about that, it does look good and no amount of grinding and trying to cut straight lines will come close.

But I do appreciate a very simple DIY like shown above. Glad to see some of them as they all look really good!

I've got a shop at my disposal as I'm a metal fabricator. Only thing is we're really small so I only have a plasma cutter and band saws at my disposal (as far as cutting). I'll be adding a miter saw to my garage once our house is done.

Time has value also. You could build the main 4x4labs bumper kit in a day. It's really easy to weld together. I was only slowed down by the duty cycle of my Miller 211. If I had a real machine it would have taken a fraction of the time.

I used mostly readily available flat stock to keep cutting to a minimum and help with keeping lines straight.

Also, as far as removing the cross member goes. In my opinion you don't gain much by removing it unless you aren't running a swing-out. The way the tailgate hangs over makes you have to push the swing-out further out anyway so you don't really get to shorten the bumper. I suppose it would help with the height as you could miter the ends of the frame rail and slope the bottom of the bumper down gaining you some minor benefit in departure angle.

I left mine and I deal with dragging the ass end of my truck off every ledge and rock :)

I love that "coffee situation" hahah. We should have a "lets see your cruiser coffee setup" thread on the matter!

Pick up that trash though huh?!
I am in for coffee talk..

That's all the trash we picked up at Backdoor, we were running recovery for KOH.

Having designed my own bumper and had the parts laser cut, I can say $700 is a pretty good deal. It was a little over $700 for mine and that was me driving 2 hours to the cutter to pick it up. That didn't include the swingout parts/material.

#TrashLeavesTrash

And

#s***send
https://solvefunction.com/shop/ols/products/s***s-end-sticker

When I first posted this, we didn't even have our house yet.

Fast forward a month later and we've been in it several weeks now.

Just bought a welder as well as a plasma cutter. Still need compressed air and some 75/25 (I prefer solid wire) but worst case I'll weld it up at work. Also bought over 15 sq ft of 3/16" steel (not to mention I have a lot extra from other stuff).

Been super hot outside so I spent a short bit making templates. Still got more to do!

20220627_123601.jpg

20220610_145817.jpg

20220628_141440.jpg

20220628_154858.jpg

20220628_155656.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom