New Michelin AT tire? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've got the Defender LTX M/S. I almost hit another vehicle about a month ago due to hydroplaning. Scared the poo out of me when it happened. Thankfully no accident, but those tires absolutely hydroplane in standing water every time, otherwise they're great. We get a lot of rain in my area.
What size tires. How many miles do you in the tires? Thank you

I've got the Defender LTX M/S. I almost hit another vehicle about a month ago due to hydroplaning. Scared the poo out of me when it happened. Thankfully no accident, but those tires absolutely hydroplane in standing water every time, otherwise they're great. We get a lot of rain in my area.
Of all the tire reports on here, I have never read of hydroplaning with the Defender LTX M/S. In fact, others, like me, have praised its ability to not hydroplane. Before I bought my present set, I read reviews and ratings of the Defender on the Tire Rack and never saw anything negative about hydroplaning. With 16.5 million miles reported by users of the Defender via the Tire Rack reviews, hydroplaning resistance rates an excellent 9.2 out 10.

Of all the tire reports on here, I have never read of hydroplaning with the Defender LTX M/S. In fact, others, like me, have praised its ability to not hydroplane. Before I bought my present set, I read reviews and ratings of the Defender on the Tire Rack and never saw anything negative about hydroplaning. With 16.5 million miles reported by users of the Defender via the Tire Rack reviews, hydroplaning resistance rates an excellent 9.2 out 10.
I compared the defender (via tire rack’s metrics) with various competitor tires I was considering and the defender ltx m/s was better than all of them.

I actually use the defender as what to compare them all to because it supposedly does everything so well.

Other than looking super bland and having slightly less Offroad performance, it’s the ideal tire.

It does. MY22 Tundra uses this exact tire for the "ORP" off road package only in the size mentioned above. Same for MY23 Sequoia.
Pics please. Lots of pics.

And initial thoughts on ride, noise, performance, etc…

Last edited:
I need this tire in 285/60/18 XL please…..

Just got this from Michelin:

“Unfortunately, the Michelin LTX Trail tire is only offered in 1 size for Toyota OE (265/70R18). We do not show any plans to introduce this tire model in additional sizes to the US profile!”

:(

So, how viable is this tire size on LC200? Can stock LC200 wear these tires without rubbing? 265/70/18 with these specs? Tread rating kinda suck (480 BB). Max Load seems decent. Tire weight is great at 37 lbs (Defender at 285/60/18 weighs 39 lbs). Diameter is a 33” tire. Skinny though at 7.9” tread width.

EF1D1452-9551-4072-BC85-F09ABAB9C0FA.jpeg

None of the MY22 Tundra tires have the 3PMSF. Some have M+S but not all. My guess it is up to regional packages to add the 3PMSF tires or not.

I have found the Defender LTX to be better in heavy rain at speed than any tire I have used, ever. This is in Florida with sudden massive thunderstorm downpours. The Defenders have tested as good or better than pretty much anything on not hydroplaning. There must be something wrong with sogafarm’s vehicle or the tires if hydroplaning is a problem with Michelin Defenders. Or the vehicle is being driven way too fast for conditions. Or perhaps they are way over inflated?

As to the LTX Trail, they look just as tame as the Defenders do…they don’t look much like an AT tire to me. I’m skeptical that they’re any better on or off road than the Defenders. I don’t really see much in the way of voids for off road traction.

There are other mild AT tires like the Continental TerrainContact that are road focused but still have some shoulder voids, for looks if nothing else.

I’ll be interested to hear how these new tires perform vs the Defenders or the AT2’s. Plenty of people run Michelin Defenders off road in anything other than mud, I’m skeptical these will be any better off road. I suppose if the sidewalls are more puncture resistant it would be a good thing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom