Making the jump to 100 series. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.burnmachinefilms.com
Hi all. I’m and 80’s guy usually on the 80’s page. I’m about to do a ton of work on the old girl I currently drive and was looking at getting a 100 series to build up for some over land jobs I have coming up. After weeks of research, articles and videos I’m more confused then when I started. Which models should I be looking at? Some say 97-99 , others say 2006? Should I just buy a Hyundai and join a book club? Just looking for advice on which models to look for and what you are all driving?
J 🤘🤘

There are minor differences and trade offs between the different model years, but the only consensus that I’ve really seen on this forum is, “Buy the same model year that I have, or am selling”. 😁

This write up does a good job of explaining the differences between model years:

Search "buying advice", limit to titles only, 100 section only. Dozens of threads to browse. Budget will tell more about what year you can afford, unless money's no object, then buy the newest, lowest mile LC you can.

All years are good, just depends on what you want. 98-02 have the simpler, less integrated HVAC and head units (some have old school navs), 4 speed trans and 16” wheels, 98-99s can be had with factory locker (ATRAC added in later models). Interior updated in 03, 5 speed trans added, touchscreen head unit with integrated HVAC and 18” wheels. Some like the 06/07s best as they have more horsepower with the secondary air system (VVTi) but it’s also slightly more complicated. My personal preference are the 03-05 models. Best of luck.

Think of it this way: 98-99 is sort of an 80 series with a V8, and excellent, long lived, repairable V8 it is. On the other hand the 06-07 is more like a 200 series - with lots of evolutionary sophistication and requisite complexity. There was a lot of evolutionary change over the 10 year run of the 100 series. But my belief is this - those evolutionary changes during the 100 series run were made by the Engineering B Team plus the summer interns. The Engineering A Team was doing the 200 series. But sometimes the Engineering B Team went on summer vacation and left the summer interns in charge. This is the only logical explanation for the number of problems on the 06-07s.

So my rankings are as follows:
1. 98-99 100 series, any miles.
2. tie 2000 to 2005 100 series (do your research on VSC)
2. tie Hyundai / book club
4. 06-07 100 series. (do your research on lots of things)

Think of it this way: 98-99 is sort of an 80 series with a V8, and excellent, long lived, repairable V8 it is. On the other hand the 06-07 is more like a 200 series - with lots of evolutionary sophistication and requisite complexity. There was a lot of evolutionary change over the 10 year run of the 100 series. But my belief is this - those evolutionary changes during the 100 series run were made by the Engineering B Team plus the summer interns. The Engineering A Team was doing the 200 series. But sometimes the Engineering B Team went on summer vacation and left the summer interns in charge. This is the only logical explanation for the number of problems on the 06-07s.
So my rankings are as follows:
1. 98-99 100 series, any miles.
2. tie 2000 to 2005 100 series (do your research on VSC)
2. tie Hyundai / book club
4. 06-07 100 series. (do your research on lots of things)
One could argue that the “B-team” and “summer interns” also had something to do with the front suspension (torsion bars), starter location, heater T’s, exhaust manifolds, electronic brake booster, and windshield mounting, across all model years of the IFS 100 series.

I didn't even know I have joined a book club.
No kiddin. I've got several subscriptions with books coming faster than I can readem.

I owned a 99LC and now have an 06LX.

The 99LC was great, but simple. Better than a truck, but no luxury vehicle. The optional locking rear diffs are worth something, but ATRAC replaced them and by my measure is only slightly less capable.

The 06-07 vehicles give you more power and economy. They also often come with AHC. AHC is [barring any rust] generally very reliable and it's an on-demand lift. I'm a big fan, but if you're opposed to complexity on principle and afraid of the simple, yet computer based, upkeep and diagnostics then you might want to aim for a non-AHC vehicle. The VVTI engine is also inherently more complex and the person that wants to avoid complexity might appreciate the early years better for that as well.

IMO, there's no "bad" year range for the 100. The early years are simple and less refined. The later years got a little more sleek in the cabin and improved performance measures on most common metrics. Choose what's important to you and go get it.

Get a 98-02, it will feel like a nice upgrade from the 80. Then later, if you want a little more refinement trade it for a 03-05. finally, if you need a little more power the 06-07 will be waiting for you.

Get a 98-02, it will feel like a nice upgrade from the 80. Then later, if you want a little more refinement trade it for a 03-05. finally, if you need a little more power the 06-07 will be waiting for you.

As an '07 owner, just swap the variable intake from a late 100 and throw a set of headers on an 03-05. VVTi isn't worth it.

98/99 have a weak front diff. Speaking as a biased ‘00 owner I like the simplicity of that version of the 4.7

The 98-99 “weak” two pinion front differential can be swapped out with “stronger” 4 pinion of later years if it ever breaks. Yes, I broke mine and replaced it with another two pinion (rebuilt mine). I now have a 4 pinion waiting patiently in a 5 gallon bucket. My 1997 80 Series straight six is a dog compared to my 1999 100 Series V8 4.7.

Do it, you won’t regret it. What I meant to say is keep both, I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom