Builds New project, 1969 fj40 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Slow progress. Manifolds are back on.
Somehow I lost the temperature sender (?) that screws into the head so I need to find another one of those.
I also need to order the oil filter bracket bolts.
The valve cover needs to come back off so I can remove and re tap one of the rocker arm bolt holes but I’d like to get this side buttoned up and the fender back on.
I have a new brake master cylinder for it as well.

7112E034-C4E5-4AA0-B375-EED9AB5096A6.jpeg

Last edited:
I think toyotamatt has the correct union nut and temp sending unit for F

Half the hardware is wrong/missing and I still haven’t fixed the rocker arm issue, but I had a moment to throw more parts back on today.
Now I need to find a throttle cable-mine is hanging on by a strand...

1A1AF1D7-3324-49D3-9661-3B9E80F02788.jpeg

I think toyotamatt has the correct union nut and temp sending unit for F

Bought and installed 👍🏻

More than a little frustrated.
Pulled the rocker arms off. Retapped the bad 8mm hole.
Didn’t work.
Wondering what the best solution for the 8mm bolt hole is, and hoping there’s not more bad ones.
To add to the fun, the oil hose nut dropped back in the side cover.
😬😬😬

3CC54261-8A39-4165-8E79-B3F2ACEDDA50.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like a geat place to start a refit. Are you planning an off frame restoration ? If you have a vehicle lift it will save you countless hours of time. I picked mine up for $500 on Craigs List minus the drivetrain. 2 calendar years of rebuild from frame up, staying all Toyota but had to have a diesel in mine.

Looks like a geat place to start a refit. Are you planning an off frame restoration ? If you have a vehicle lift it will save you countless hours of time. I picked mine up for $500 on Craigs List minus the drivetrain. 2 calendar years of rebuild from frame up, staying all Toyota but had to have a diesel in mine.
I’m just trying to get it running again.
I don’t have a garage, lift, or many tools. Even less skill.

Is it one of the holes in the head for the rocker assembly? Might need to add a helicoil.

Is it one of the holes in the head for the rocker assembly? Might need to add a helicoil.
Yes. I’ve been advised to use a tine sert. Just bugs me that I somehow screwed up a freshly rebuilt head. Exactly why I didn’t want to do this in the first place.

Popped the rocker arms off again to prep for time-serts for the stripped threads.
Cleaned the fan since that actually gets results versus my poor mechanic skills.

C2703522-5A5C-4F87-90A2-C9EBD1F59CC7.jpeg

58E5AFD8-AF86-4F5D-BE3D-28619AD3DB2C.jpeg

75C39CA8-DF2F-4910-9587-33719E6E4A81.jpeg

79E0FFB0-A8CB-4D7F-8482-8511CDCF56C1.jpeg

Going nucking futs.
I can’t get the number 9 valve to adjust before the screw falls out, and the clutch master cylinder setup from ccot has me scratching my head. Do the hoses really just hang out loose like this? The pipe to cylinder connection seems wrong as well.

3A6A635C-11D9-4B51-89C1-62911ACA2E74.jpeg

44775D01-1088-48C2-906D-6F74514F9F54.jpeg

25D3EC54-1F13-4989-AD23-BACAAEC2F769.jpeg

I think you are missing a "copper" 90 degree fitting from the clutch master. Also the lines go to the tab sticking out to the left in the pic. You can see the soft line open where they marry.

I think you are missing a "copper" 90 degree fitting from the clutch master. Also the lines go to the tab sticking out to the left in the pic. You can see the soft line open where they marry.
This was supposed to be a complete ‘upgrade’ kit that didn’t need anything else. The old T doesn’t fit in the new master.

This was supposed to be a complete ‘upgrade’ kit that didn’t need anything else. The old T doesn’t fit in the new master.
I just looked at their complete kit, and just think you will have to bend the line to fit. BTW their kit seems different from most other vendors. But I don't think hanging in the air will harm anything either.

https://www.sor.com/cat018.sor#018b1

Last edited:
I just looked at their complete kit, and just think you will have to bend the line to fit. BTW their kit is different from most other vendors. On others, the hard line only has 2 angled bends in them not curves. But I don't think hanging in the air will harm anything either.

https://www.sor.com/cat018.sor#018b1
That’s pretty stupid of them if so. Thanks for the tip though.

Also, maybe Mr. T used later 7/70 components in your build making it different/difficult to buy the right parts. Our 6/70 build has a lot of later stuff that was installed in later years (6/70 was a transition month) so I am constantly re-verifying stuff with vendors. I am constantly told "I shouldn't have that..." but I do! It's an all original 36k mileage vehicle. 🤷‍♂️

Also, maybe Mr. T used later 7/70 components in your build making it different/difficult to buy the right parts. Our 6/70 build has a lot of later stuff that was installed in later years (6/70 was a transition month) so I am constantly re-verifying stuff with vendors. I am constantly told "I shouldn't have that..." but I do! It's an all original 36k mileage vehicle. 🤷‍♂️
I know my motor has been gone through before. Mismatched bolts, etc. the truck as a whole seems to be stock 02/69 except for the wheels (and bodywork lol).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom