New Michelin AT tire? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Madtiger

Mini-Doug
Threads
Michelin LTX TRAIL. There is only one size on TireRack…and i cannot find any info on it on Michelin USA site. BUT, on other country sites, you have this: MICHELIN LTX Trail | Summer On and Off-road Tire - https://www.michelin.com.au/auto/tyres/michelin-ltx-trail?tyreSize=18

And yes, it does come in stock size for LC200. Is it a regional tire? Or is Michelin rolling out this tire over next few months? To replace the ancient LTX A/T-2?

“Take on paved roads and trails with the MICHELIN LTX Trail tyre, offering long-lasting on and off-road safety. Optimum braking performance when worn and safety in wet conditions[2].
  • MICHELIN's on and off-road tyre, offering long-lasting safety
  • Long-lasting treadlife[1], even in off-road conditions[1]
  • Excellent wet braking performance even when worn[2] and precise dry handling
  • Lower noise levels for a comfortable ride[3]
  • Durability for light off-road trips”

Last edited:

Travel for longer(1)​

Whether you are managing your daily urban activities or finding new weekend trails, the MICHELIN LTX Trail tyre keeps you going. Lasting 41% longer compared to leading competitive tyres[1], this versatile tyre features RallyForce2 Tread Compound, which provides remarkable treadlife on both paved and unpaved roads. Specially designed treadblocks resist cutting and chipping on rougher terrains.

Safety and control, made to last​

Enjoy peace of mind on every journey with a tyre built for safety. The MICHELIN LTX Trail tyre boasts excellent grip on wet roads, stopping up to 3.1 meters shorter when new and up to 4.6 meters shorter when worn compared to leading competitive tyres[2]. Featuring Variable Thickness Sipes with hundreds of biting edges to maintain wet grip, which lock together in dry conditions for controlled handling.

Lower noise levels for a comfortable ride(3)​

Experience reduced noise levels when navigating city streets and country lanes with the MICHELIN LTX Trail tyre. Featuring MICHELIN Duo-Harmony Blocks, this tyre reduces interior noise by 19.8%[3]. Two different block shapes in the centre of the tread spread the pattern noise energy across a wider spectrum for a calmer SUV drive.

Built tough to keep you moving​

Whatever your next destination, stay mobile with the MICHELIN LTX Trail tyre. This tyre features a durable sidewall construction developed to resist splitting and punctures. A Biting Shoulder design wraps from the tread down the sidewall to protect against sidewall aggression. Tackle both asphalt roads and gravel tracks with a durable on and off-road tyre.

Note the DURABLE SIDEWALL CONSTRUCTION!! It seems like a perfect tire that some of us have been asking for!! A Michelin Defender combined with AT tire…….wow!! I hope that this new tire will make it over to USA!

I don’t see this tire on Discount Tire site.

On TireRack: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=LTX+Trail

1649348256146.jpeg

1649348271380.jpeg

Last edited:
Hmmm, it seems like 2022 Toyota Tundra comes with this tire in 265/70/18??

From: Michelin LTX Trail tyre launched in Malaysia - for pick-up trucks and SUVs; nine sizes from 15 to 18 inches - paultan.org - https://paultan.org/2021/10/06/michelin-ltx-trail-tyre-launched-in-malaysia/

“The LTX Trail is a multi-purpose use tyre recommended for 80% on-road and 20% off-road driving, says Michelin.

….the LTX Trail demonstrated 41% greater mileage wear mileage thanks to the RallyForce 2 tread compound for better durability and service life in both on-road and off-road use, while a new tread design with the “biting shoulder” protects from the tread to the sidewall from sidewall aggression, while ensuring better off-road performance and traction.”

Last edited:
Hmmm, it seems like 2022 Toyota Tundra comes with this tire in 265/70/18??
I was wondering and thinking that it must be coming stock on something to have only the one available - makes sense!

I saw a new Sequoia TRD with temporary license plates, with tires similar to those. It may come from factory with them.

Michelin LTX TRAIL. There is only one size on TireRack…and i cannot find any info on it on Michelin USA site. BUT, on other country sites, you have this: MICHELIN LTX Trail | Summer On and Off-road Tire - https://www.michelin.com.au/auto/tyres/michelin-ltx-trail?tyreSize=18

And yes, it does come in stock size for LC200. Is it a regional tire? Or is Michelin rolling out this tire over next few months? To replace the ancient LTX A/T-2?

“Take on paved roads and trails with the MICHELIN LTX Trail tyre, offering long-lasting on and off-road safety. Optimum braking performance when worn and safety in wet conditions[2].
  • MICHELIN's on and off-road tyre, offering long-lasting safety
  • Long-lasting treadlife[1], even in off-road conditions[1]
  • Excellent wet braking performance even when worn[2] and precise dry handling
  • Lower noise levels for a comfortable ride[3]
  • Durability for light off-road trips”
This was asked in the tire and wheel tech thread (Michelin LTX Trail - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/michelin-ltx-trail.1280897/) also. I would like to know about these too.

The Tire Rack’s site makes it look like a completely different tire than Michelin’s site.

If this tire comes to USA then this will likely be my next tire. Little more aggressive than Defender yet should be amazing on the highway.

If this tire comes to USA then this will likely be my next tire. Little more aggressive than Defender yet should be amazing on the highway.
I'm outspokenly positive about the current Defender LTX. One of the reasons is the number of sipes. The entire tread is siped everywhere, which makes it (oddly) great on slickrock, and wet rocks, and mountain roads alike.

I'd love a slightly more aggressively voided tread but the sipe count and distribution seems to be much less.

Way smarter people making way more money than I do this for a living so I guess we'll wait and see. Admittedly I'm a hair bit skeptical.

I'm outspokenly positive about the current Defender LTX. One of the reasons is the number of sipes. The entire tread is siped everywhere, which makes it (oddly) great on slickrock, and wet rocks, and mountain roads alike.

I'd love a slightly more aggressively voided tread but the sipe count and distribution seems to be much less.

Way smarter people making way more money than I do this for a living so I guess we'll wait and see. Admittedly I'm a hair bit skeptical.
Would you characterize the defender ltx as the best wet road/weather tire for the 200?

If so, would you think a 275, 285, 295, etc be the best choice?

Would you characterize the defender ltx as the best wet road/weather tire for the 200?

FWIW, I just bought set of 5 Defender LTX M/S in 275/65-18 SL I have no idea if it’s the best on wet roads, but it’s really good. It’s a fine choice for Michigan weather. I’ll be interested to see how well the LTX Trail does in real world use for other folks.

Videos:

I don’t understand anything in the video but it does provide close-ups of the time. Anyone understand? Around 4:50 mark, he talks about road noise??? Is this tire loud?

It looks like a LTX A/T2 replacement…sipes are much less than Defender, more on par with the current A/T2. This has a nice sidewall design vs. the bland design of current Michelin tires. I am assuming that this is a A/T2 update with more modern rubber (probably similar to Defender rubber) for longevity and durability.

Last edited:
This pic is from another video. Michelin clearly intents for this to be AT tire.

Tread : 2 polyester + 2 steel + 1 polyamide.

Sidewall: 2 polyester.

Of note, no SNOWFLAKE symbol.

82482D55-A751-49AD-A061-2C6C25108A4B.jpeg

People laugh at me but I run the defender ltx in nearly all off road stuff, at low pressures. But soon everyone forgets about the "street" tires and the trail goes on. 😁

275/70r18 is a nice sweet spot. On a personal level, I dont believe any cruiser needs more than 275 width.

Last edited:
I've got a set of the LTX's and they are great handling on dry, quiet, and good MPG's. The only thing where they underperform is in heavy wet. They hydroplane dangerously bad in standing water on the road. Maybe the new ones have worked this problem out.

I've got a set of the LTX's and they are great handling on dry, quiet, and good MPG's. The only thing where they underperform is in heavy wet. They hydroplane dangerously bad in standing water on the road. Maybe the new ones have worked this problem out.
Michelin makes many tires with LTX in the name. Which specific model are you referring to? I’ve never had the Defender LTX M/S hydroplane, so I assume it’s not that one.

People laugh at me but I run the defender ltx in nearly all off road stuff, at low pressures. But soon everyone forgets about the "street" tires and the trail goes on. 😁

275/70r18 is a nice sweet spot. On a personal level, I dont believe any cruiser needs more than 275 width.
Do you have any pics of how the tires look on your truck?

I've got the Defender LTX M/S. I almost hit another vehicle about a month ago due to hydroplaning. Scared the poo out of me when it happened. Thankfully no accident, but those tires absolutely hydroplane in standing water every time, otherwise they're great. We get a lot of rain in my area.
Michelin makes many tires with LTX in the name. Which specific model are you referring to? I’ve never had the Defender LTX M/S hydroplane, so I assume it’s not that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom