D.I.Y Pusher Fan on 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi @LCnAZ , Been watching your progress. I've had multiple many many hours of driving this summer where I was probably watching my temperature gauge more than I was watching the road.

The thought of installing an electric fan seems like a great move.

Can you remind me if you used a different alternator? Wanted to make sure that a stock FJ62 alternator could handle the electric fan. I think a 12" with your modification ideas sounds awesome.

Will be great to see your rig all pretty and painted!

Hi there...I can answer your concerns about the load, but I can't offer any first hand experience with the practical benefit yet...because it's still in the paint shop, dang it!!! The tech can only work on it on the weekends, and I think the lingering heat has constrained progress a bit. So, I know he's spent a lot of time prepping...which is good. I have a mountain of tasks and parts standing by to execute as soon as I get it back. That includes swapping out the seats that @86aggie bought.

The alternator is OEM Denso. We specifically checked in real time the loaded alternator with the fan off then on. There was no drop in output from the alternator with the fan on.

Although I think there will be some benefit to providing active thermal ventilation for the engine compartment with the fan, I'm sure there will be a noticeable improvement in lowering the load on the air conditioning condenser and system...and be more comfortable.

Hi there...I can answer your concerns about the load, but I can't offer any first hand experience with the practical benefit yet...because it's still in the paint shop, dang it!!! The tech can only work on it on the weekends, and I think the lingering heat has constrained progress a bit. So, I know he's spent a lot of time prepping...which is good. I have a mountain of tasks and parts standing by to execute as soon as I get it back. That includes swapping out the seats that @86aggie bought.

The alternator is OEM Denso. We specifically checked in real time the loaded alternator with the fan off then on. There was no drop in output from the alternator with the fan on.

Although I think there will be some benefit to providing active thermal ventilation for the engine compartment with the fan, I'm sure there will be a noticeable improvement in lowering the load on the air conditioning condenser and system...and be more comfortable.
Thanks for the feedback and commentary. This summer I've had a few close calls with overhearing . It's taken a steady eye for me to make sure I am not over doing it on the freeway - which is no fun on long trips with my wife and 1 year old . Since they love AC and going fast in an old cruiser - which is basically a paradox to me .

Looking forward to doing my own fan mod at some point. Right now replacing the radiator with a CSF 2708, new Aisin water pump, OEM 180 thermostat and just replaced the fan clutch two weeks ago.

15381134445071740807460.jpg

Thanks for the feedback and commentary. This summer I've had a few close calls with overhearing . It's taken a steady eye for me to make sure I am not over doing it on the freeway - which is no fun on long trips with my wife and 1 year old . Since they love AC and going fast in an old cruiser - which is basically a paradox to me .

Looking forward to doing my own fan mod at some point. Right now replacing the radiator with a CSF 2708, new Aisin water pump, OEM 180 thermostat and just replaced the fan clutch two weeks ago.

View attachment 1799148

That should put you in fine shape on heat. I bet you'll see a big improvement. The fan will be gravy somewhere down the road. I'm not quite where you are on heat, but I'm seeing it creep up. I'm just hoping the fan buys me some more time.

@LCnAZ You might stay with a 10" or smaller.
A 12" Spal draws 25~30 amps. Ron Davis uses them on their custom radiators. The last one I installed had twin 12".
One side worked OK with a 25amp fuse, the other would randomly blow the 25 amp so I settled with 30's on both fans.
At 2500 rpm the stock alternator should keep up with a single assuming you aren't running the headlights and a big stereo.
However the potential is there to draw more than the alternator will handle.
Figure 10~15 amps to run the engine, 10 more if the lights are on. Add 2~5 amps for the AC clutch and another 10+ for the blower.
Thirty for the fan and you're past the alternator's ability to keep up. Wipers, radio and any other accessories would add to that .
If you're aware of that you could stay on top. After a hot day and a lot of AC you could plug into a battery maintainer. I have one
permanently mounted to all my trucks. I keep an ARB ice chest onboard one of them all the time.
I was running a NOCO until I realized they shut down around 104 degrees. That's not good in AZ. I switched to Minkota which handle heat up to
the mid 120s

I recently installed a pusher fan on the front of my cruiser to help my A/C during in town driving since I daily my 60 in 100+ Central Florida heat.

it is a pretty simple and easy install but I figured I'd put it all in one thread in case someone else wants to do it.

I used a 10in SPL fan and just a 4 Pin universal relay.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003PB9M1Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The wiring for the relay goes like this.
- from fan goes straight to the battery
87 + from fan wiring
30 goes into an inline fuse and then to the + on the battery
86 gets jumped to 30 with a small piece of wire
85 runs to one of the two spots on the back of the switch.
Other wire on switch gets grounded inside the cab.

I used a factory switch so it looks fairly stock in the cab. The switch works by breaking and reconnecting the ground for the fan.

Hopefully, this helps someone else out if they are thinking of doing this.

View attachment 1748553

View attachment 1748554

View attachment 1748556

View attachment 1748558

Nice grille! Is it original or aftermarket?

@LCnAZ You might stay with a 10" or smaller.
A 12" Spal draws 25~30 amps. Ron Davis uses them on their custom radiators. The last one I installed had twin 12".
One side worked OK with a 25amp fuse, the other would randomly blow the 25 amp so I settled with 30's on both fans.
At 2500 rpm the stock alternator should keep up with a single assuming you aren't running the headlights and a big stereo.
However the potential is there to draw more than the alternator will handle.
Figure 10~15 amps to run the engine, 10 more if the lights are on. Add 2~5 amps for the AC clutch and another 10+ for the blower.
Thirty for the fan and you're past the alternator's ability to keep up. Wipers, radio and any other accessories would add to that .
If you're aware of that you could stay on top. After a hot day and a lot of AC you could plug into a battery maintainer. I have one
permanently mounted to all my trucks. I keep an ARB ice chest onboard one of them all the time.
I was running a NOCO until I realized they shut down around 104 degrees. That's not good in AZ. I switched to Minkota which handle heat up to
the mid 120s

All helpful input. The way the alternator was tested was under a "full load" as your describe; everything roaring and lights on bright, etc.. The inverter was hanging in there nicely. I'm not familiar with teh Spal brand, but the one I'm using only pulls 10 amps at 12VDC.

All helpful input. The way the alternator was tested was under a "full load" as your describe; everything roaring and lights on bright, etc.. The inverter was hanging in there nicely. I'm not familiar with teh Spal brand, but the one I'm using only pulls 10 amps at 12VDC.

Spal builds many of the OEM fans for GM, most European and many Japanese mfg

Thanks for posting this thread, I will be doing this soon to my cruiser.

@brutledge just saw your cruiser featured on Wagon Life’s Instagram story, nice pictures!

One of my guys does the Instagram. I haven't figured that out yet. I can build a wire harness for a 3rd gen motor, swap motors, design parts but social media loses me.
I don't know the difference between a tweet a twitter a hashtag or whatever else is out there. Spacebook, Faceplant...all to much for me

@LCnAZ how did this turn out?

Also what temp thermostat are up you using?
It turned out fine. The thermostat did not. I couldn't seem to come up with a reliable one, so I abandoned a thermostat and went to a dash switch that is a Toyota switch for lights that fits the punch out hole below the HVAC controls next to the cig lighter. This is the same switch I use mounted to the driver side BMW seat for master power.

The fan serves two purposes. The obvious one is that of condenser fan, but it is also the active fan for the external transcooler I have mounted directly in front of the fan. See below. So, I essentially have the fan on at all times. I can't detect an engine compartment benefit, but every little bit helps, I'm sure. The transcooler, new radiator, and thermal shielding of the exhaust adjacent to the A440 tranny made enormous lowering of tranny operating temps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom