1977 fj55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought a 1977 fj55 a couple of years ago. I put a old man emu suspension under it due to sagging spring which required new tires,etc. Also made numerous other repairs including the back window fixed and various mechanical issues rectified. Unfortunately I discovered a rusted body mount last year and when I took it in it looks like the rear fender is full of fiberglass from a prior repair. Noticing there might be several body issues that were painted/covered over. Someone referred to it as a 10 ft paint job…. I don’t think I can continue this project financially as it sounds like this body mount repair might be very expensive. Was wondering what the best avenue for selling one is. Thanks in advance for any advice/assistance.

Love to see some pics here. Tons of smart people with some serious skills (not me) willing to help you here.

Dude... take a step back.

If your main problem is one rusted out body mount, you are ahead of 99.999% of all Iron Pig owners.

This is a condition called "owning an FJ55."

Once you get over freaking out over something as inconsequential as a rusted out body mount, you'll enjoy driving your rig more. And if the area around the body mount is rusted out, and if some mechanic is telling you this is some kind of disaster, you need to fire that hack.

I used to freak out at least once a week over stuff like this. I've gotten over it, (mainly) the longer I drive this pig. You can too.

But pictures…
We like pictures.
Post pics!
Please…
I reread through this guy's 5 total posts and my desire to help pretty much bottomed out.

Obviously someone who didn't realize what an FJ55 is, and the effort involved in keeping one on the road.

I hope he sells it to someone who understands the vehicle and keeps it on the road.

Picking it up today. I think the problem is what is around it as opposed to the mount itself. Will post up some pics when I get it home
My thought/contribution is if you've recognized the 55 fit isnt for you right now, place it for sale here on Mud ( 55 classified's) .. Someone will hopefully buy it and bring it back to life.... or be comfortable driving it as it is.... my hope is it'll fall into the hands of someone keeps it on the road... Good luck either way..I'd say keep it...take your time.. A $ invested in it gets returned when you sell... IMHO.. Golf doesnt do that... grins

1649428347068.png

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to this. After picking up my pig and getting a little encouragement at the repair shop and from on here I took it to a local body shop who quoted me less than a thousand dollars to get the body mount back right. Figured I would post a couple of pics of my rig anyway. Still a relative newbie here. I think this is all part of owning a 55.

54412BAB-9DB8-43EB-84B2-2C2A9B10C408.jpeg

2ECAC98C-D944-4120-82D5-0244275C3804.jpeg

57E9E19C-61CD-4F81-BC65-8FE764521100.jpeg

Great looking rig! Love the color.

Rust is just a way of life with the piggies.

Accepting that is the first step into madness
Problem is I bought it off the internet and thought I knew more about the rig than I did and prob paid more than I should have. It took more mechanical work to get it right than I was expecting and then to discover the body issues was a little overwhelming. I have watched too many episodes of those restoration shows on television and I thought body work was just exorbitantly expensive. I bought the 55 to enjoy with my small kids and thought a body mount rusted thru rendered one unsafe. I have learned two valuable lessons. Knowing all this I am just ready to get it out and drive it. I have had a 40 and a 60 prior to this and wasn’t really satisfied until I could get my hands on one of these. I really like the style of the 55.

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to this. After picking up my pig and getting a little encouragement at the repair shop and from on here I took it to a local body shop who quoted me less than a thousand dollars to get the body mount back right. Figured I would post a couple of pics of my rig anyway. Still a relative newbie here. I think this is all part of owning a 55.

View attachment 2978362

View attachment 2978363

View attachment 2978364
Smart.

Problem is I bought it off the internet and thought I knew more about the rig than I did and prob paid more than I should have. It took more mechanical work to get it right than I was expecting and then to discover the body issues was a little overwhelming. I have watched too many episodes of those restoration shows on television and I thought body work was just exorbitantly expensive. I bought the 55 to enjoy with my small kids and thought a body mount rusted thru rendered one unsafe. I have learned two valuable lessons. Knowing all this I am just ready to get it out and drive it. I have had a 40 and a 60 prior to this and wasn’t really satisfied until I could get my hands on one of these. I really like the style of the 55.
Sounds great.

Welcome to the club.

1649718626396.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom