Differences in HF1A tcases (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My hzj80 has the H150 box. Do these have rhe same output shaft size as the H151?
The reason the transfer went was because MUD entered through the breather and I didn't realise until she went pop and kept dropping out of gear.
I bought the new transfer without knowing what it was off but it defiantly has a different input shaft. I just assumed it was off a 100/105 series because the guy I bought it off owned one, but he had no idea what it was off and thought it could be off a 75 series. I have attach a pic if someone want to ID it defiantly looks like an R151 gearbox. It is defiantly a hf1a, part time which was what I was after.
I am weighting up whether to rebuild my original now which has some damage to some of the parts on the output shaft assembly ie sychro ring ect. This may be the cheaper option as the fzj100 input is exspensive in Aus.
What do you guys think should I Frankenstein the hzj105? transfer with the fzj105 input gear and input shaft out of my 80 series transfer or rebuild the 80 series transfer and hope for the best.

Thanks

Screenshot_20180928-081747.png

Also I may have just had an epiphany. If I was to buy the part mentioned in the thread off the 100/ 105 (36212-60120) would it be cast out of one piece and include the shaft aswell as the gear?
I am a little slow guys.

Last edited:
Also I may have just had an epiphany. If I was to buy the part mentioned in the thread off the 100/ 105 (36212-60120) would it be cast out of one piece and include the shaft aswell as the gear?
I am a little slow guys.

Yes, I believe so. I think you also need a bearing to suit, and a plug for the input shaft

I'm a bit late to reply.
Yes the fzj105 gear is one piece with the shaft. You could pull the bearings off of the hzj gear and press them on the fzj gear.
To plug the shaft, somehow it's hollow, you can use a plug out of your old full time case.

Thanks a lot everyone. I've been told I need the correct STT thats in the fsm in order to press the bearings off succesfully without damage? I think I'll just risk it and give it a go without it.
I found a really cheap part time replacement that I believe I will use for now. Looks a bit haggard but it has the right input because I checked this time haha.
The system that the wreckers (junkyards) use throughout Australia to network parts only found one suitable transfer and they wanted $1150 for it. These things are as rare as hens teeth. I got lucky buying them privately.
Now I have two spares I feel that I might rebuild. Private message me if anyone is chasing down a transfer in Aus.
Thanks

I'm a bit late to reply.
Yes the fzj105 gear is one piece with the shaft. You could pull the bearings off of the hzj gear and press them on the fzj gear.
To plug the shaft, somehow it's hollow, you can use a plug out of your old full time case.

Im doing this same swap, do i need to plug the input shaft on the transfer case? if so what plug do i need to use?

Im doing this same swap, do i need to plug the input shaft on the transfer case? if so what plug do i need to use?

Not sure if you have looked at this forum here but it will probably help your swap. LCOOL.org :: Log in

I have not done this swap but on my H151 and HF1A transfer case the plug is in the input shaft.
IMG_0409.JPG

According to the link above it is the same torx plug used for the detent springs for the shift rods (p/n: 90341-12008)

Hi everyone, I know this is a old thread but I see there are some transfer case experts here.

I am having a HF1A TC on a H150F Transmission and a 1HDT engine.
My TC is in a critical condition since years and I got more aware of it how critical it is after a friend said " the output on the TC should not have 1/8 turn play" and YES I got that terrible CLONGK CLONGK.
The truck has 430k km on the clock, the rear diff is not in the best condition but will last longer than the TC.

So I am going to open it next week and wanna see the critical parts which need replacement.

A German friend said that the necessary parts are pretty expensive and he himself bought a OVEHOLED TC.

Till now I don't know exactly which parts are exactly the ones failing and giving this huge play.

Can anyone send me a marked diagram with the parts to replace?

I am living in Cambodia. So parts supply is pretty limited. I didn't intend to pay hundreds of $$$ for brand new parts. I have to look for some 2nd hand TC here and see if parts can be used before I throw the thing in the bin and by a replacement TC.

I would appreciate any advise what leads me to some better understanding of the critical parts in the TC.

Kind Regards

Reini

I fought with a poor use 1A transfer for years replacing the output shaft, the idler, all internal levers and bearings which cost far more in time and $ than I wanted.

I bought a new 36120-60351 from Amayama (HDJ79 version). $1,475 was quoted price from Japan warehouse as I just checked. Freight is for 70kg or so.

Hi,
Thanks for your answer. I hear you! My German friend said I should just replace it with HF2A and make sure my lockers in the front are always connected. I just don't wanna run my 4wd on long distance all the time. My truck is from 1992. So that puts a lot of wear on the front axle as well. 🤕
Also sending a TC to Cambodia sets me back with over $2k...thats just to much of spending on my truck.

BTW. I got a garage with a lift and can wrench on it. Bearing parts, seals and so on are way cheaper here. Its just the other hardware which might become more expensive.

It isn't cheap, but probably cheaper than a new case but you could put a part time kit spool in an HF2A and use the center diff lock actuator as 2WD/4WD (this is what I intend to use behind my 1HDFT and H152F combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom