Looking for hitch that doesn't block spare tire well access (100 series) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently, I bought new 275/70/18 (33 inch) and found out that I cannot get the spare into the tire well because the hitch interferes. The well, of course, is rounded but the hitch receiver is more square so the bar protrudes into the way of fitting the spare tire up in the well. I bought these tires because I read on the site that this size would fit into the well. I am wondering if there is a hitch receiver that is available that doesn't block access to the spare. Or what have people done? I can't put it on the roof and or afford a new bumper and carrier and I tow enough that I need a receiver-type hitch.
Please help me out... I'm having a hard time explaining my tire purchase to my wife. Driving without a spare is threatening my marital bliss! THANK YOU!

I have the same tire spec on 18x8 OEM wheels on 32PSI on the spare and it fits. It’s tight but it fits. It cleared the rear panhard and the oem hitch receiver, I just had to wiggle my way to fit it while slowly raising it.

IMG_1456.jpeg

Can you just air the spare down to fit?
Thanks, but I tired completely deflating it, and the width of the sidewalls wont fit between the hitch and the trunk floor

What brand receiver is on your truck? Got pics of the clearance? Maybe some trimming of the tube?
Thank you. I cannot find a brand on it, but have posted a pic.

I have the same tire spec on 18x8 OEM wheels on 32PSI on the spare and it fits. It’s tight but it fits. It cleared the rear panhard and the oem hitch receiver, I just had to wiggle my way to fit it while slowly raising it.
Thanks. I must have a different hitch than you as I have tried much force, maneuvering, and tire deflation with no luck.

If your towing is just light-medium duty, you would be fine with a crossmember mounted hitch.

If your towing is just light-medium duty, you would be fine with a crossmember mounted hitch.
Doesn't the crossmember hitch protrude into wheel well area?

IIRCC the stock hitch doesn't extend into that area
what ever you figure out, you may need to trim the insert tube to clear the tire when inserted into the receiver.
I needed to do this on mine.

I am watching this as well. I have been trying to identify the 'stock' hitch that doesn't interfere off and on for several years. I am also on 33" 275/70/R18 K02s. I believe for North America, the hitch was typically a port or dealer install, so 'stock' may have varied from region and year. I have a few that I can verify will not work.

I currently run without the hitch and if needed, I will install hitch and place spare in trunk with straps.

Doesn't the crossmember hitch protrude into wheel well area?
This is different than the '03+ in/through LX bumper hitch. The rest of the world uses it.... I think even rated to 3500kg... though to me it doesn't look as robust as the other options.

This is different than the '03+ in/through LX bumper hitch. The rest of the world uses it.... I think even rated to 3500kg... though to me it doesn't look as robust as the other options.

Looks like an interesting alternative. It's hard to believe that a bumper mount can have that towing capacity. But its rated, so I guess have faith in that. Im still hoping that a frame mounted option surfaces...

I have a 2000 LX. Used the cool cruisers hitch made for a 40 series I believe. You will need to look at their specs but I only need it for a bike rack. Had to notch the bumper as well.

Plan to make a kydex bezel to clean it up.

20220224_165929.jpg

Looks like an interesting alternative. It's hard to believe that a bumper mount can have that towing capacity. But its rated, so I guess have faith in that. Im still hoping that a frame mounted option surfaces...
Just to be clear, it's rated in other countries, not the US.

I have a 2000 LX. Used the cool cruisers hitch made for a 40 series I believe. You will need to look at their specs but I only need it for a bike rack. Had to notch the bumper as well.

Plan to make a kydex bezel to clean it up.

View attachment 2975350
I did the same with the same hitch.
1649466183844.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom