TPMS Delete (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there a way to disable the TPMS system? I have a tire gauge and I am willing to use it.

I haven't found a way. The Tundra crowd found a wire that can be cut to disable it.

For all practical purposes mine is useless - I have five TPMS sensors in a pressurized PVC tube in the cargo box. That was the only way I could find to turn the light off.

BTW, for anyone that thinks this is foolish, I'm only doing this because Rock Auto (never ordering from them again) sent me the wrong sensors (and wouldn't take them back for the correct parts), and I'm not paying a tire shop to swap them out for no good reason. I bought new sensors from Toyota that are going in on my next tire change.

I haven't found a way. The Tundra crowd found a wire that can be cut to disable it.

For all practical purposes mine is useless - I have five TPMS sensors in a pressurized PVC tube in the cargo box. That was the only way I could find to turn the light off.

BTW, for anyone that thinks this is foolish, I'm only doing this because Rock Auto (never ordering from them again) sent me the wrong sensors (and wouldn't take them back for the correct parts), and I'm not paying a tire shop to swap them out for no good reason. I bought new sensors from Toyota that are going in on my next tire change.
Not foolish at all. That is a way to do it that you can easily service to keep the light off. Seems like a decent idea.

Thanks for responding.

Here's the Tundra fix. If you can figure it out for the 200, we could call it the "Tecnos TPMS Fix". If you figure it out, I'll be a tester.

I was also reading that thread, and another clever idea is to put all the sensors in the spare, taped to the wheel. Now they all read the pressure of the spare tire. I love the creativity.

Last edited:
Cool, I find it a little difficult to use the tire gauge cruising at 70mph though.

If you have a catastrophic blowout at 70 mph, you're in for a wild ride, TPMS or not...(which is why the 'man' even got involved in tire pressure monitoring to begin with....completely misguided.....surprise surprise)

Now, if you have a slow leak at 70 mph, you'll eventually know it, TPMS or not.

Here's the Tundra fix. If you can figure it out for the 200, we could call it the "Tecnos TPMS Fix". If you figure it out, I'll be a tester.

I was also reading that thread, and another clever idea is to put all the sensors in the spare, taped to the wheel. Now they all read the pressure of the spare tire. I love the creativity.

The spare tire idea is actually a pretty good one. I like it more than a pipe with air in it. But both work for intended.

Only down side I can see to the spare idea is if you have to use the spare and they come loose and flop around in there

I assume our instrument clusters are too advanced to just pull the bulb out? I also find TPMS useless and I'm missing 3/4 sensors to boot. Not spending good money to fix a system I don't even like.

I assume our instrument clusters are too advanced to just pull the bulb out? I also find TPMS useless and I'm missing 3/4 sensors to boot. Not spending good money to fix a system I don't even like.
Sorry, not sure. I've never had the cluster out. Could just do the old black electrical tape "repair". :)

If you did the spare tire trick, would you just use the cheapest TPMS sensors you could find?

@CharlieS - Who programmed your TPMS system in your pressure chamber?

If you did the spare tire trick, would you just use the cheapest TPMS sensors you could find?

@CharlieS - Who programmed your TPMS system in your pressure chamber?
I did. You just use techstream and enter the numbers from the sensor into a couple of fields. Easy peasy.

The Tire Pressure Warning ECU is located behind the right (US Passenger) rear quarter panel trim somewhere.

Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 11.04.17 AM.png

Here's the pinouts and wiring for L10 (TPMS Plug)

Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 11.08.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 11.09.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 11.11.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 11.13.53 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 11.14.13 AM.png

The way I read it, in the Tundra a voltage (+5v works) is output directly to the combination meter (dash) to light the light, and in the 200, the TPMS ECU reads the TPMS values on RDE, and sends a can message on to the ECU with a thumbs up or thumbs down, which deals with the MID and light. In other words, not going to work.

It is the same 12 pin connector, but not the same system.

TUNDRA PICTURE HERE

Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 11.28.01 AM.png

Depending on how Toyota programmed the logic, you might be able to just jumper out the tire pressure monitoring reset switch. It might throw a code if the signal stays high, but I have employed that tactic with success on other electrical systems to silence nuisance alarms.

Cool, I find it a little difficult to use the tire gauge cruising at 70mph though.
My man.
Now, if you have a slow leak at 70 mph, you'll eventually know it, TPMS or not.
I’d prefer to know it before the tire is trashed. And while I may be able to tell, many others won’t. Then again most of them will ignore the light anyway.

My man.

I’d prefer to know it before the tire is trashed. And while I may be able to tell, many others won’t. Then again most of them will ignore the light anyway.

Yep. It was never about safety or concern for 'you' and 'me'. Batteries go dead, warning lights are ignored, tires are rotated without reprogramming, work arounds.....we are no safer than before, but yet we have to pay for the system. This is what we want?!

Busy body morons got their dirty little fingers in yet another small little part of your everyday life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom