HDJ80 turbo options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I bought my 3rd HDJ80 this time a 12 valve (manual, 3rd row seats). Whilst it works well I am doing a frame off restoration to get it back to as new condition as possible. Everything will be kept original except some performance enhancements. So this question is about turbos. Would there be any benefit of replacing the existing turbo (stock for 12 valve) with one for a HJ80 24 valve or from a HDJ100? I know there are non-Toyota turbos with more performance but I already have a spare stock HDJ80 24 valve and HJ100 turbo so if they provide any advantage it would make sense to use one of these.
I guess a first question is whether a HJ100 turbo even fit in a HDJ80 12 valve.
Thanks, Chris
Here is a photo early in the process.

20220223_090754.jpg

There's no difference in the turbo used on 12 or 24 valve hdj80.

Turbo from a hdj100 will give you a larger compressor wheel, and smaller, but more efficient turbine.
So, it will push more air, it will spool up and produce booster at lower RPM, but will run out of puff before redline.
You'd need adapter's for intake hoses, and you'd be well served changing to the hdj100 oil feed/return hard line under the turbo.

Search on Facebook groups for hdj80 turbo user groups in Australia, you might find a used hdj100 turbo for sale cheap from someone who's fitted an aftermarket turbo.

Also, go to the diesel tech forum here on mud, there's loads of info on upgrade options for hdj80

There's no difference in the turbo used on 12 or 24 valve hdj80.

Turbo from a hdj100 will give you a larger compressor wheel, and smaller, but more efficient turbine.
So, it will push more air, it will spool up and produce booster at lower RPM, but will run out of puff before redline.
You'd need adapter's for intake hoses, and you'd be well served changing to the hdj100 oil feed/return hard line under the turbo.

Search on Facebook groups for hdj80 turbo user groups in Australia, you might find a used hdj100 turbo for sale cheap from someone who's fitted an aftermarket turbo.

Also, go to the diesel tech forum here on mud, there's loads of info on upgrade options for hdj80
Thanks that is helpful. By redline you mean the red rpm spectrum? Does that mean less power at higher rpms? It wouldn't be a problem since I just using it as my daily driver and probably never reach the red rpm zone.

Yeah, boost will peak at 14-15psi (depends on your wastegate) before you reach peak power.

It'll still make boost, still make power, just the acceleration rate will taper off a bit.

The hd-fte turbo will be up to boost at around 1250-1350rpm, peak boost by 1800ish rpm.

You can for an aftermarket wastegate and increase boost to about 18psi, beyond that is not recommended.

Or, you can spend $$$, and get aftermarket turbos that will give you like end boost, and boost all the way to 4000+rpm

It's possible to pick up good used hd-fte turbos for $2-300AUD

Yeah, boost will peak at 14-15psi (depends on your wastegate) before you reach peak power.

It'll still make boost, still make power, just the acceleration rate will taper off a bit.

The hd-fte turbo will be up to boost at around 1250-1350rpm, peak boost by 1800ish rpm.

You can for an aftermarket wastegate and increase boost to about 18psi, beyond that is not recommended.

Or, you can spend $$$, and get aftermarket turbos that will give you like end boost, and boost all the way to 4000+rpm

It's possible to pick up good used hd-fte turbos for $2-300AUD
thanks, so just to be clear a hdj100 turbo would give you a bit more power overall and there is no real disadvantages compares to a hdj80 stock turbo (apart from some extra assembly to get it installed)?

thanks, so just to be clear a hdj100 turbo would give you a bit more power overall and there is no real disadvantages compares to a hdj80 stock turbo (apart from some extra assembly to get it installed)?

Correct. It's Toyota's version of a high flow, more efficient, higher performance turbo upgrade.

It's old technology now, but it's definitely a few steps ahead of the 80 series turbos

Correct. It's Toyota's version of a high flow, more efficient, higher performance turbo upgrade.

It's old technology now, but it's definitely a few steps ahead of the 80 series turbos
which turbo exactly, the early 100s had the same ct26 as the 80 series, later models had a different turbo with a electronically vsv controlled vnt

Not in Australian models.

We never had any VNT turbos.

The 80 series used a version of the CT26
HDJ100 used a CT20 or CT12B.
It uses a much smaller CHRA, smaller turbine housing, smaller turbine, and larger compressor and compressor housing.

The hdj80 has an 8cm2 turbine housing, hdj100 is a 6-6.5cm2 turbine housing.

The HDJ100 uses the same compressor as the 7MGTE SUPRA CT26.

This is all well known and documented in the diesel tech section, it's worth doing some digging if you're looking for upgrades

Ok thanks didn't know there was a difference in turbos for different hdj100 years. I have to do a bit more research to ensure I get the right one. It sounds like I need to find a CT20 or CT12B. Since I live in Spain I will buy one in Spain or France (so from a European car). I did check in the diesel section but there is quite a lot of info there to go through...

So if someone is interested I found out that the early HDJ100 1998-2002 (I think) has non-variable turbos CT26 OEM 17201-17040. This is for Europe, perhaps different elsewhere.
Not to be confused with the HDJ80 turbos which also have CT26 casing but different OEM nr 17201-17010.

Not in Australian models.

We never had any VNT turbos.

The 80 series used a version of the CT26
HDJ100 used a CT20 or CT12B.
It uses a much smaller CHRA, smaller turbine housing, smaller turbine, and larger compressor and compressor housing.

The hdj80 has an 8cm2 turbine housing, hdj100 is a 6-6.5cm2 turbine housing.

The HDJ100 uses the same compressor as the 7MGTE SUPRA CT26.

This is all well known and documented in the diesel tech section, it's worth doing some digging if you're looking for upgrades
wow, do you have a part# for the assembly or the turbo and housing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom