Nothing of interest here (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was thinking of buying a piece of pipe with the correct outside diameter and then machining it to fit the existing hole in the top side. It would be one complete piece vs. an insert with a piece of pipe over it.
The tops are relatively clean. I just purchased them and still have to take them for sandblasting to determine the extent of the rust. I bought them because the existing top sides I have need significant metal repairs.

That sounds like a excellent game plan, if there's nothing causing you to have to open the pocket these attach into in the top(which would give you access to plug weld them internally) you could use a small ball hone to thoroughly clean up the inside of what's left of your hardtop posts and use panel bonding adhesive to attach your sweet new replacements and there'd be no external weld in your critical hardtop/tub mating surface.

Laid out some lines and did some cutting on the last of the patches in the driver's floorpan. Working in this area BLOWS. You can't get a decent angle with any cutting implements it's all very awkward. Was very happy yet again to have the mini reciprocating saw, without which I'd still be staring at it. I was also pretty happy to see the condition of the inside of the body mount.

KIMG1479.JPG

KIMG1486.JPG

KIMG1484.JPG

Last edited:
Started working on the replacement panel, I'm going to deviate a little bit from factory construction here and overlap (underlap?) my patch under the inner rocker pinch weld and attach with plug welds. From the top it should look basically factory and from the bottom you'll only notice the change if you know what you're looking for.

KIMG1495.JPG

KIMG1493.JPG

KIMG1489.JPG

KIMG1491.JPG

Slight change of pace from my usual pics of rust holes- I picked up this little gem today and since I bought it with the idea of pulling behind the 40 I'm gonna post it here. Best I can tell it's a 68-72 Hilux.

KIMG1498.JPG

KIMG1499.JPG

KIMG1497.JPG

KIMG1500.JPG

Nice score...
x2 Those Hilux beds love to rust out like its their job!
@Homey15 Nice job on the long curved metal replacement floor piece. When I did my floors I replaced that section as well............it took 2 times of patching in to get it close to the factory shape.:bang:

x2 Those Hilux beds love to rust out like its their job!
@Homey15 Nice job on the long curved metal replacement floor piece. When I did my floors I replaced that section as well............it took 2 times of patching in to get it close to the factory shape.:bang:
...It looks like a very simple panel but there's just enough compound curves taking place to make you have to think about it a little. The confined space doesn't help matters. On the upside, after I get done here I get to do the exact same thing to the passenger side. Hooray! I Did some searching but came up with nothing
...do you have a build thread for your 40?

...It looks like a very simple panel but there's just enough compound curves taking place to make you have to think about it a little. The confined space doesn't help matters. On the upside, after I get done here I get to do the exact same thing to the passenger side. Hooray! I Did some searching but came up with nothing
...do you have a build thread for your 40?
No build thread on the 40.
I accomplished what I wanted to in the end. Replace passenger floor pan(real steel), which led to inner and outer rocker replacement due to the way the panels connect.
Taught myself to weld...very good(frustrating) learning experience. In every aspect.

Last edited:
nm

Got myself a new welding helmet. Bought basically the same model in 19' for 25.00 expecting it to be a giant pile of crap. I proceeded to use it to build my entire house and it's now at work and still in use. They're now 35.00(Amazon) but still a screaming deal as far as cheapo auto dark helmets go. Now that I could see what I was doing I did some more overhead welding on pinholes and welded up the last tiny rust hole I had found so I believe that is a wrap on the metalwork on the driver's floorpan. Also got all the running board bolts broken loose and ran completely out and back in, in preparation for swapping out with the good ones I got from @GreggL

KIMG1547.JPG

KIMG1551.JPG

Did some work on the running board I got, it appears to be new but didn't have any nuts on it for mounting like the originals. I didn't just want to bolt and nut it back so set to grinding down the roached running board to release the weldnuts. Figured out you could skip that and just crank on em with a 15mm and they'll twist loose. Tacked them onto new board. Having these off gave me excellent access to do some hammer and dolly work on the rockers, no pics of this.

KIMG1588.JPG

KIMG1587.JPG

KIMG1585.JPG

KIMG1591.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom