90k service. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So in 6-8 months I'll hit 90K on my 200 series and I'll be taking it in to Toyota to do an oil change. They gave me this sheet of 90k service stuff and I'd like y'alls opinion of items I should do or items that the dealership is just being the stealership. Your opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance
20220405_151858.jpg

Nb4. I know I can visually inspect air filter. Tire rotation etc. I'm more so talking about propeller shafts. Injectors. Differentials. The more labor intensive pricier jobs.

When you take it in for service, lock your glove box. If they still charge you for a cabin air filter, you can be sure you've been had. I'd be wary of other things they're charging you for and didn't do. If they ask for the key to the glove box, just tell them to skip the cabin air filter.

That aside, the pricing seems fairly steep to me. Then again, I usually do all of my own maintenance and may be out of touch on current shop pricing.

If they are using Toyota parts and gear oil, I'd say the Value package isn't the worst deal. Probably double the cost of DIY, but you wouldn't have to get your hands dirty. Just watch out for what comes back in in the "complimentary multipoint inspection".

I took mine to the dealership for the 90k service because I told myself I wanted it done right. I’m sure they did a good job, but I got robbed. It was the most expensive routine maintenance in my entire life.

If they are using Toyota parts and gear oil, I'd say the Value package isn't the worst deal. Probably double the cost of DIY, but you wouldn't have to get your hands dirty. Just watch out for what comes back in in the "complimentary multipoint inspection".
I agree. Just make sure they actually grease the fittings on the prop shafts, use the correct Toyota gear oil and Toyota parts, and do not do the cabin filter. Have them give you the new cabin filter since it’s part of the price and put it in yourself using the Recirc button per the manual.

How recently are these prices? I just had my dealer do a full fluid change - engine oil, t-case, transmission, and both diffs and it cost over $800. That is close to double what i paid when i did the exact same service at 30k. The only price difference was for the fluids. Labor was the same price.

How recently are these prices? I just had my dealer do a full fluid change - engine oil, t-case, transmission, and both diffs and it cost over $800. That is close to double what i paid when i did the exact same service at 30k. The only price difference was for the fluids. Labor was the same price.

Those are right now prices. Where are you looking? That service minus the transmission is $692.

Last edited:
Yeah - i just had it done. Last time I had the same service it was $425.
Ahhh gotcha. There's a local shop out here in gonna check out as well in Houston that does all Toyota work. Wonder what they'll charge.

Ahhh gotcha. There's a local shop out here in gonna check out as well in Houston that does all Toyota work. Wonder what they'll charge.
Duggy’s Garage; great crew. Please share when you have their quote. I’m about ready for 90k service/all fluids.

Note that the official toyota transfer case fluid is about $120 just for the fluid for your truck. Given that, if they actually use that and the toyota diff fluid, the value service isn't a bad deal.

But there are some caveats.

What @goldwater58 said about the glove box!!! Only, keep the key blade with you.
Make sure they do the front prop shaft too. These are harder to get to and often overlooked.
If you currently have OEM wipers do not let them install the Toyota-branded "sightline" wipers that most dealers stock. You want OEM parts only, part numbers 85222-42110 and 85222-53071. If you are still on OE parts you can get the rubber refills for less than $10 per wiper.

I've also heard good things about Duggy's.

Note that the official toyota transfer case fluid is about $120 just for the fluid for your truck. Given that, if they actually use that and the toyota diff fluid, the value service isn't a bad deal.

But there are some caveats.

What @goldwater58 said about the glove box!!! Only, keep the key blade with you.
Make sure they do the front prop shaft too. These are harder to get to and often overlooked.
If you currently have OEM wipers do not let them install the Toyota-branded "sightline" wipers that most dealers stock. You want OEM parts only, part numbers 85222-42110 and 85222-53071. If you are still on OE parts you can get the rubber refills for less than $10 per wiper.

I've also heard good things about Duggy's.
Here in Seattle, dealers will not open a locked glove box even if they have a key. They are afraid their eyes might be blinded by what they see. Yet I still remind them that I change my own air filters.

That's like $150-200 in parts and fluids (assuming when they say service diffs and xfer they are changing the gear oil).

What "prop shaft bolt" are they torquing? The bolts between the drive shaft and diff flanges or transfer case? I call BS; there is no way any dealer service tech is doing that.

Service battery and terminals? Huh? Sealed battery. No way they're taking the terminals off and doing anything with them other than a cursory visual inspection.

Advice - if you don't DIY, find a good small independent shop who has a trustworthy owner that does the work (him/her)self or has long time tech(s) that are conscientious.

Last edited:
They put the prop shaft bolts in there because it technically is in the manual, if I remember correctly. But I agree they aren’t actually messing with them unless the bolts are visibly falling out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom