Mobil DTE 24 is now $65/gal. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm running Mobil DTE 24 for my power steering fluid. I now have a PS pump leak so I am going to do a rebuild, but I can only find the Mobil DTE 24 on Amazon at $65/gal. Anyone have a better source without buying 5 gal of the stuff? Or does anyone suggest a different hydraulic fluid? I would rather not use an ATF for reasons discussed on here previously. Obviously all petroleum products will be going up, but surely there is another hydraulic fluid that will do the job.

You're right. Back in 11/2021, it was $40 so $25 delta per gallon. Mobil DTE 24 is the only non-ATF fluid recommended by Tools R Us so I listened and used.

I'd give you my remaining half gallon+ if you were in LA. Gl!

Last edited:
Out of stock at McMaster Carr but it shows $38ish a gallon. If there’s one near you I think you can pick it up. Shipping will probably put it up close to amazon’s price.

Try a teaspoon or 2 of brake fluid. Within a week or so of switching to dte I had a leak, put a little brake fluid in and have had NO issues the past couple of years, leak stopped within a day or so. I had bought everything to do a rebuild and all the bits have been sitting waiting for a reason. The brake fluid swells the seals enough to stop the leaks.

cheers,
George

^^^
Brake fluid, then a cap full of fabric softener to quiet it down (or for good measure).

DTE24 is just 32 weight hydraulic fluid. No magic in there.

Most every expensive piece of machinery/equipment with a hydraulic system uses 32 weight oil and the lubrication section in the manual gives examples of what fluids you can use from each manufacturer. DTE24 crosses to 100 other brands of 32 weight hydraulic fluid.

This is a good read:

....and a bunch of other cool TOTALLY UNNECESSARY FOR US stuff on this site like a discussion of Viscosity Index:

ISO 32 ends up with a really high viscosity at lower temperatures, like 2-5x+ Dexron III depending upon the Viscosity Index of the specific hydraulic fluid used....could be problematic on pump/box components over decades if you live in cold climates. Let's compare:

Toyota = Dexron III specs:
KINEMATIC VISCOSITY CST @ 40°C 37
KINEMATIC VISCOSITY CST @ 100°C 7.3
VISCOSITY INDEX (D2270) 173
FLASH POINT (D92), °C 177
POUR POINT (D97), °C -48
......calculated viscosity at -20C=-4F: 1255

Mobile LTE 24 (ISO 32) spec:

KINEMATIC VISCOSITY CST @ 40°C 31.5
KINEMATIC VISCOSITY CST @ 100°C 5.3
VISCOSITY INDEX (D2270) 98
FLASH POINT (D92), °C 220
POUR POINT (D97), °C -27 (NOT a good pour point for cold climates!!!)
......calculated viscosity at -20C=-4F: 2316.....so twice Dexron III at cold temps

Triax makes a half-priced ISO 32 (
Triax Premium HLP Hydraulic Oil 32) with specs better than Mobile LTE:
KINEMATIC VISCOSITY CST @ 40°C 32.9
KINEMATIC VISCOSITY CST @ 100°C 5.5
VISCOSITY INDEX (D2270) >165
FLASH POINT (D92), °C 225
POUR POINT (D97), °C -45
......calculated viscosity at -20C=-4F: 2407.....so twice Dexron III at cold temps

But Triax also makes an actual PS fluid ("OEM Synthetic") at a similar price:
KINEMATIC VISCOSITY CST @ 40°C 32.6
KINEMATIC VISCOSITY CST @ 100°C 6.98
VISCOSITY INDEX (D2270) 180
FLASH POINT (D92), °C UNKNOWN (Pentosin 7.1 standard states 130C which is NOT a good flash point for big 4x4 tires!)
POUR POINT (D97), °C -54
......calculated viscosity at -20C=-4F: 868.....BETTER than Dexron III at cold temps

Due to the poor pour point of LTE 24 and the poor flash point of Pentosin 7.1 PS fluid I'm going to try out the Triax HLP 32. At -10C = 14F which is more typical weather for me, personally, it's only about 50% higher viscosity than Dexron III.

The original Tools R Us thread that got me to use Mobil DTE 24. I have no qualms running another brand/type of hydraulic oil which both Mobil DTE 24 and ATF r and would revisit my decision if I lived in a colder climate aka not LA.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses. Jellis, I have been looking for that type of info on the hydraulic fluids.

The switch to the DTE24 did correspond to the start of the pump leak. I'm going to rebuild the pump to make sure it doesn't leak.

I just hope the fluid switch doesn't affect the seals in the gear box.

Several years ago I retrofitted power steering to my 40 using an OEM box I rebuilt and an FJ62 pump, I also rebuilt. Based on tools r us knowledge, I skipped the ATF in that new system. I wasn't able to really find ISO 32 fluid, so I just used some NAPA Powersteering fluid. It is pretty clear, no dyes like ATF. System has worked perfectly, no leaking for what its worth.

I think you are over thinking it, I've got a T100 with 286000 miles, no leaks, never been flushed. Pump is starting to sound a bit louder than it did though. I really should flush someday, but it just keeps working. Oil is oil, this is not a complex system.

I notice all your rigs are stock. When you significantly modify the stock system to work FAR behind its intended capabilities, things get weird. Death Wobble is a perfectly extreme example.

In my situation, I'm spraying fluid all over my engine bay from my PS system. It started after I added Dobinson's adjustable damper, which is STRONG, to my 37s. I thought it was overheating so I added a cooler, but it's still happening. So I think it must be cavitation coming out the reservoir from the 200k mile pump? So I'm swapping in a brand new pump and going to try a different fluid at the same time, hopefully that makes all this mess go away!

That would make a difference, there are limits to any system. You hear alot of guys say the stock power steering on a 40 is not any good above a 33 inch or so tire. After tearing down the pumps and going through them on that system, which was a FJ62 pump, and an FJ60 pump, and looking at the diagrams of any other Toyota powersteering pump, they all seem to be the same. Probably a limitation there on their size and output. Hence the reason guys went to the bigger chevy pump. Problematic to adapt to an 80 for sure, but not impossible. I'm sure others can tell you designed pressure and volume outputs between the two.

Are you seeing issues all the time, or just when you are working it hard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom