The Bacon & Blue Cheese Express ( AKA The Camping Truck) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

By plant room, I mean the pumps, heat exchangers, filters and such, not a room full of prize winning “tomatoes”
Still sounds pricey, glad the pig stayed dry!

ITS ROAD LEGAL!

Got all the paper work sorted out on Monday, and below is when i picked up my son from kindy on Tuesday after driving it to work. Got lots of looks. Installed the Bilstein shocks Tuesday evening.
FCYZ8309.JPG

Unfortunately while driving to work on Wednesday morning it cut out and wouldn't start, so I had to roll it into a side street. After a couple of hours of roadside diagnosis I gave up and had it towed to an Auto electrician. Cranks but no starting, and its just had the dizzy serviced and new points, condensor and coil.

Who knows, but it looks good and drives much nicer with the new shocks on.

So glad to see you got this on the road finally and can start enjoying it with your family. You'll get looks, let me tell you! :p And you'll figure out the mechanical issues, just work methodically through it all and you'll get to know the inner workings of your pig more intimately... keep us posted on your troubleshooting and diagnosis though!

Turns out the points had moved and needed to be reset. Stupid points, I had problems with them on my FJ45 as well. Going to start researching options.
i have no idea what these point things are you're talking about... but glad to see you got it sorted

i have no idea what these point things are you're talking about... but glad to see you got it sorted
Thanks, my BJ42 had its share of problems too.
I did a pertronix conversion on my first FJ40, it was easy and worked well. I also did a FJ60 electronic ignition (big cap dizzy) on another 40, it’s nice if you can source the parts but you’ll also have to find the later “dented” side cover to make it fit 😉

Points do suck!

Tucker
I know the Pertronix have a good reputation in the classic BMW scene but haven't read much on them on Landcruisers. Seems like a simple option.

Turns out the points had moved and needed to be reset. Stupid points, I had problems with them on my FJ45 as well. Going to start researching options.
Lots of options for replacing points out there for older chevy engines. From what I've heard the 2F is based on a chev straight six so could be an easy drop-in. I did it on a 55 chevy six. a quick search found this (n idea if it's similar enough):

Last edited:
Monday: Pig went to Carby shop
Wednesday : it started to rain.
Friday : No word from the Carby shop, not answering phone.
Saturday : Found pig parked on road, not sure if its been under water or not. No answer from shop and they have the only set of keys.....
View attachment 2941034
Sunday: Carby shop moved pig to hight ground.
Monday : Morning
View attachment 2941035
View attachment 2941036
Afternoon: I went and checked on the car and it looks like the water went over the back tyre on Sunday Night.

We had 741mm ( just on 29 inches) of rain from 9 am Thursday to 9am Monday , which is 73% of our annual rainfall. I've spent the last two days cleaning stinky, thick silty mud out of a riverside house, and I didn't see any of the same in the Pig on Monday so I think its good!

Moral of the story: Always have a second set of keys. :bang:

And the springs finally showed up!
The water went over the TOP of the back tire? That doesn't bode well for the carb(s) on that little VW next to the Pig!

741 mm?!? That's over 74 cm!!!

(Sorry, not trying to make light of the flooding, just trying to show off my prowess with the metric system)

ITS ROAD LEGAL!

Got all the paper work sorted out on Monday, and below is when i picked up my son from kindy on Tuesday after driving it to work. Got lots of looks. Installed the Bilstein shocks Tuesday evening.
View attachment 2960729

Unfortunately while driving to work on Wednesday morning it cut out and wouldn't start, so I had to roll it into a side street. After a couple of hours of roadside diagnosis I gave up and had it towed to an Auto electrician. Cranks but no starting, and its just had the dizzy serviced and new points, condensor and coil.

Who knows, but it looks good and drives much nicer with the new shocks on.
So cool you are legal now - awesome!
Sorry if you covered this before, but what wheels are those? They look great. Are they widened Cruiser rims?
Go 60 series dizzy if you can - full electronic...

So cool you are legal now - awesome!
Sorry if you covered this before, but what wheels are those? They look great. Are they widened Cruiser rims?
Go 60 series dizzy if you can - full electronic...
The wheels are amde by a company in Australia called BCI Wheels. They offer a 16x5.5 as standard. They also have the centres for doing custom sets. These were a custom set in 16x7 which involved cutting the centre out of a second set of wheels and welding the centres in.

I think that VW had a laundry list of problems.

Took the 55 on its maiden camping trip to North Stradbroke Island / Minjerribah. The barge takes about 45 minutes and the departure point is about half an hour from home, so its nice and close. Given the amount of shakedown time its had it performed well, but I deliberately didn't take any recovery gear or get a beach permit, thought that might be tempting fate.

Got thumbs up and comments from people all weekend, heard a few stories of what people did in these cars in there youth, and got lots of smiles!

We camped just off the beach, right next to the track down to the sand. Had to contend with Kookaburra's ( a native bird) stealing food out of the frying pan as we cooked. My son got to see Kangaroo's enjoying the coast as we had a coffee and a milkshake.
GSQK1451.JPG
IMG_5736.JPG
IMG_5728.JPG
IMG_5738.JPG

Trip was deemed a 95% success. The points slipped again as we were leaving camp, so a quick fix and we got going again. Took the car in to have the points adjusted again after work yesterday. Pertronix is looking like the lead contender.

I've also determined that its going to need a five speed. I can't stand the noise over about 80km and its not conducive to long road trips. Next trip is planned for June so we'll see what happens.

Took the 55 on its maiden camping trip to North Stradbroke Island / Minjerribah. The barge takes about 45 minutes and the departure point is about half an hour from home, so its nice and close. Given the amount of shakedown time its had it performed well, but I deliberately didn't take any recovery gear or get a beach permit, thought that might be tempting fate.

Got thumbs up and comments from people all weekend, heard a few stories of what people did in these cars in there youth, and got lots of smiles!

We camped just off the beach, right next to the track down to the sand. Had to contend with Kookaburra's ( a native bird) stealing food out of the frying pan as we cooked. My son got to see Kangaroo's enjoying the coast as we had a coffee and a milkshake.
View attachment 2971829View attachment 2971830View attachment 2971833View attachment 2971836

Trip was deemed a 95% success. The points slipped again as we were leaving camp, so a quick fix and we got going again. Took the car in to have the points adjusted again after work yesterday. Pertronix is looking like the lead contender.

I've also determined that its going to need a five speed. I can't stand the noise over about 80km and its not conducive to long road trips. Next trip is planned for June so we'll see what happens.
Sounds like you have her pretty well dialed in!

So after spending two weeks in isolation as COVID went through the house, the front seal on the power steering pump started leaking on its first trip outfor pizza. Thankfully we were close to home when it was discovered.
I replaced the front seal, and no joy. Previous owner had machined up some brass bushes but they may not be a snug enough fit.

So, what are the options for a 55 power steering pump? Will a fj60 or fj80 pump work? Do I look into an electric pump? I've read about replacement bushes, but the threads are 5 years old and people seemed to replace pumps.

I'm getting fed up with $10 parts taking a dump and sidelining the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom