Kaon Roof Shelf... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Given the two self tapping screws for the lower bracket I am opting to try something which I haven't seen posted here yet and I'm going to install two small 1/4-20 rivnuts to use with some button heads instead of those screws. Will report back upon completion, but after watching a YouTube video earlier of someone putting a rivnut on some cardboard I am cautiously optimistic
Rivet nuts made specifically for plastics are available. They are designed to spread the load over a greater surface area. They can be sourced from McMaster Carr.

McMaster-Carr - https://www.mcmaster.com/97217A393/

I broke down and ordered my Kaon shelf a couple days ago; I was really hoping they were going to get back in stock while they had the 10% sale a week or two ago, but they never were. I ordered the large side panels thinking I'd wait and install them down the road after I worked up the courage to do the first "permanent" modification and drill a hole in a panel, but I've been thinking I may go ahead and install them.

What I did want to do was keep it so I could remove and re-install the panels if I desired. Given the two self tapping screws for the lower bracket I am opting to try something which I haven't seen posted here yet and I'm going to install two small 1/4-20 rivnuts to use with some button heads instead of those screws. Will report back upon completion, but after watching a YouTube video earlier of someone putting a rivnut on some cardboard I am cautiously optimistic

Also stealing the E50 idea from above--thank you!
I thought I saw that the small braces and the front of the large panels go into the captive nut already in the body shell after drilling a hole in the trim plastic? I've mounted things to these in mine and they were rock solid. You must be talking about how the rear of the panel attaches to the cargo trim with some sort of screw? Seems like a janky design to me. I'd much rather that was solidly mounted to the body like the front one is. Given their main concerns about things working loose with the shelf, I can't believe they'd just put a screw into trim plastic - that seems like it would just as easily work itself loose. It seems like a huge shortcut just to avoid taking off the cargo trim and putting a properly solid mount in those rear lower positions. Even if there isn't a suitable captive nut there from the factory, putting in a rivnut, or even better a metal mount with a standoff, would be more sturdy.

More like this mount on the Milford barrier:
1649068739951.png

I thought I saw that the small braces and the front of the large panels go into the captive nut already in the body shell after drilling a hole in the trim plastic? I've mounted things to these in mine and they were rock solid. You must be talking about how the rear of the panel attaches to the cargo trim with some sort of screw? Seems like a janky design to me. I'd much rather that was solidly mounted to the body like the front one is. Given their main concerns about things working loose with the shelf, I can't believe they'd just put a screw into trim plastic - that seems like it would just as easily work itself loose. It seems like a huge shortcut just to avoid taking off the cargo trim and putting a properly solid mount in those rear lower positions. Even if there isn't a suitable captive nut there from the factory, putting in a rivnut, or even better a metal mount with a standoff, would be more sturdy.

View attachment 2971260

Correct it is the rear lower bracket that requires two standard screws. I think their assumption is that the larger bolt at the front lower section into the body will carry the load, but like you I’m not wild about simple screws in trim

Last edited:

View attachment 2971260

I agree it seems a little jinky.
On the other hand, I see it as non-structural at that corner, and more of just a means of stopping any wiggle... The forward point does massively increase stability of the shelf with that huge forward bolt. I ki da think they designed a brace…then realized they may as well offer one with molle as an afterthought.

I guess a similar argument re weakness could be made about every OEM panel in back…except its even worse. Nearly everythi g back there is “secured” with little plastic plugs & clips…with just an occasional bolt or scree.

I do like the idea of a rivnut designed for plastics…but no matter what, the panel it would secure to will never be more secure than the plastic clips the panels attach with.

I suspect if there was a captive nut or bolt thread available, they would have used it…

🤷🏻‍♂️ On the other hand… as an aside…I don’t personally find the molle window panels to be all that useful a spot. They are too far away from reach points…and if you put much on them, it subtracts from the cargo bay’s capacity anyway. At thjs point I have nothing on them, and am seeing them as basically meaning the shelf can handle more load.

Goofy aside… My “bad-ass” use for the shelf is almost always just to stuff my 3 huge, king-size bed pillows up there…as I gots ta have me pillows when I travel…even in a tent. ;)
—Guess I’d better find pillows with “tactical” in their brand name so I’m still cool. 😂

I agree it seems a little jinky.
On the other hand, I see it as non-structural at that corner, and more of just a means of stopping any wiggle... The forward point does massively increase stability of the shelf with that huge forward bolt. I ki da think they designed a brace…then realized they may as well offer one with molle as an afterthought.

I guess a similar argument re weakness could be made about every OEM panel in back…except its even worse. Nearly everythi g back there is “secured” with little plastic plugs & clips…with just an occasional bolt or scree.

I do like the idea of a rivnut designed for plastics…but no matter what, the panel it would secure to will never be more secure than the plastic clips the panels attach with.

I suspect if there was a captive nut or bolt thread available, they would have used it…

🤷🏻‍♂️ On the other hand… as an aside…I don’t personally find the molle window panels to be all that useful a spot. They are too far away from reach points…and if you put much on them, it subtracts from the cargo bay’s capacity anyway. At thjs point I have nothing on them, and am seeing them as basically meaning the shelf can handle more load.

Goofy aside… My “bad-ass” use for the shelf is almost always just to stuff my 3 huge, king-size bed pillows up there…as I gots ta have me pillows when I travel…even in a tent. ;)
—Guess I’d better find pillows with “tactical” in their brand name so I’m still cool. 😂

I'm surprised you didn't just slap a couple of Velcro strips on there instead of those (essentially) non-load bearing screws... 🤪 👍 :rofl:

I'm surprised you didn't just slap a couple of Velcro strips on there instead of those (essentially) non-load bearing screws... 🤪 👍 :rofl:

Heh… More on that later… ;)

I like the idea of the big molle panels but was wondering how useful they are from a reach point of view standing at the tailgate. Someone needs to engineer a molle panel slideout for these things. Maybe they function as break in deterrent, like bars in the window...

I like the idea of the big molle panels but was wondering how useful they are from a reach point of view standing at the tailgate. Someone needs to engineer a molle panel slideout for these things. Maybe they function as break in deterrent, like bars in the window...

Ya. Eventually I’ll post my theoretical “solution” but at this point, its only an idea. :)

Do the side panels add any weight bearing capacity to the shelf? I have two of my 3 solar panels up there now and would really like to have the option to carry my 3rd but I’m at the max of 22lbs with the 2.

I have the full molle panels but not sure if I wanna install them or not with the added complications the HE present.

Keep in mind that's Aussie dollars; still $485 US; I really wish I had jumped in before the mandatory side panels too
no, the AUD price is 590 AUD (large molle panels) plus 419 AUD shipping = 1009 AUD x .75 = $756 USD. The small molle panels must be the $641.19 USD.

no, the AUD price is 590 AUD (large molle panels) plus 419 AUD shipping = 1009 AUD x .75 = $756 USD. The small molle panels must be the $641.19 USD.

Right, I didn't say anything about that being pricing for the large panels, just that all their prices listed are in AUD. In regards to the mandatory side panels, that describes both small and large panels. These used to sell for $300 US including shipping when you could just buy the shelf alone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom