Wisdom Turns Folly (WTF). 1973/75/76/78 Mashup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a FJ60 in lots of pieces right now. I chose electrolysis of the frame and other parts, followed by phosporic acid spray, then epoxy primer then paint. I used a brake line with a custom 6-way nozzle on the end to run inside the chassis for coating. Your results look good, though. Be interested to see what happens in time. I hate rust!

I have another project that I need fine spline rear axles and a axle tube from a FJ40 if you are interested in selling. If are interested I can send pics of the electrolysis. It does amazing things to rusted metal and it's cheap to do.

Sucks moving! I do not envy you.

@rickyrockrat I do have a ’75 rear axle ready to go. Name a price and I will plasma it off the truck. I am using a 60 axle in the rear and spacers up front to track properly.

@rickyrockrat I do have a ’75 rear axle ready to go. Name a price and I will plasma it off the truck. I am using a 60 axle in the rear and spacers up front to track properly.
I suck at pricing. $400?? I don't need the diff. Shipping makes me cringe.

@onemanarmy I won’t disagree with your thoughts (axle width looks out of place) but I have ridden in a stock width rig and another one with 60 axles. I’m going for race car handling (haha). I will modify the 60 axle to mount up to the existing suspension of the 40. I’m keeping the 40 rear axle to use later in life after I am done wheeling off road. That and a better looking body that’s not rusted like mine.

Rear axle (temporary ‘78 axle) in.

BA53A33E-486A-4CD0-AF9E-53561C810DC6.jpeg

07E4B460-DBAC-4BC2-A0CD-248A1BF4C5EF.jpeg

C26624B2-9FF0-403F-ACD5-E6A76C825507.jpeg

159553AF-1102-4BD7-8B66-C6E8F08D83F5.jpeg

Front axle in. Note to self: put the pin side in first, shackle in second. Rear took six hours to chase threads, ream holes, and basically send it with a little force. Front was much simpler.

854D1D96-3265-4529-9C17-C60B87D48360.jpeg

E8AF77EC-846C-401B-BB6A-2F83611CF477.jpeg

FF04E074-9A67-40A5-8DAA-946E9A9E686B.jpeg

377AA89B-B3D1-491A-8911-1D8DD257753F.jpeg

Liquid courage meet brute force. Front brake calipers were seized. Removed and rolled this fat b@sr@rd down the hill and back up the hill. Used the hi-lift to shift the rolling frame into position. Camo burrito is the engine, transmission, and transfer case combo out of a newer 55 series. So many different years, hope it all comes out correct in the end.

DB074B6C-14ED-4AB7-8695-6520EA190B96.jpeg

061F4726-BD06-41C5-8B2D-318F1369D122.jpeg

002041DA-8A04-48DC-81A3-B0E677F53D51.jpeg

445DDA6C-C1BA-4ACC-A4C8-9C09D276C2E5.jpeg

This has been a one man band for most of the tear down so a lot of the progress involves a lot of thinking before doing. The frame was on saw horses, lifted by the hi-lift, and massaged into place to house the suspension. The body of the rig was dropped three times today before I figured out how to flip it on its side. Hilarious if you ask me, not going to worry about those first few scratches…. Rolling frame was moved inch by inch using the “I hope I don’t get an aneurysm“ method of grunting, pushing, and flexing my calf muscles. better experience than a gym.

That sums up my wrenching experience... do a 2-man job all by myself. Very rewarding in the end though! Keep up the good work and thanks for bringing us along (virtually) with you!

This has been a one man band for most of the tear down so a lot of the progress involves a lot of thinking before doing. The frame was on saw horses, lifted by the hi-lift, and massaged into place to house the suspension. The body of the rig was dropped three times today before I figured out how to flip it on its side. Hilarious if you ask me, not going to worry about those first few scratches…. Rolling frame was moved inch by inch using the “I hope I don’t get an aneurysm“ method of grunting, pushing, and flexing my calf muscles. better experience than a gym.
all you have to do is call me. :bang:

@mwalls54 you are a true gentleman. Sunday is a day of rest for most. I will be calling soon enough. Stabbing the engine in tonight……..ring ring-can Matt come out and play?

Here is where I started and with a little help from friends, she has a power plant loosely attached. Still planning on starting this project in a year but I have to consolidate all the chaos so the home improvement projects can move forward first. Next up, setting the body on the frame and piling crap/treasure on top of it.

B221E41C-C80A-413D-B665-C6F32B86C90C.jpeg

18A937E7-49B2-40A2-904B-B82F81FCB6DD.jpeg

EC92B421-A0BA-487D-87FE-CF9032EA6FEF.jpeg

6859C21B-0711-4659-9DF6-4CCC7C8D7EB0.jpeg

273CD165-4CC4-42F2-BCB8-A296B2C1D4DF.jpeg

Just found this thread and finished reading though. Curious as to how the Corrseal rust treatment has stood up? I am getting ready to use it on the sliders on my Tacoma.

Corraseal did its job. I would strongly recommend something a little better than the rustoleum primer and John Deere Blitz Black combination. Granted, I only put a light coat of Blitz Black on but small scratches reveal my Folly.

Old picture to start with to give perspective. How does a one man band move a body from sideways to right side up and then gently place it on top of a pristine frame? I don’t know but I did manage to man handle the body and not drop it on my toes.

The last picture made me smile. I will look back on this achievement as completely insignificant just because everything will come back off in a year to only be met with the realization I have to start from scratch yet again. For now, I will just bask in the thought of how nice the body looks on the frame. This thing is a little taller than I had imagined. It will grow on me but there will be grunting and wheezing sounds emanating from my body each time I get into WTF.

Not sure about the axle placement yet but smarter people than me said it’s ok. Front and rear springs on backwards to stretch out the ride.

C5D9B885-74AC-45D6-9084-13B274F41571.jpeg

8E5CE672-0515-44D6-8601-B9B54F161D1A.jpeg

EF5A9F6E-F8D2-4218-9680-121F5C6AD7CB.jpeg

C48A2D4F-3D04-45F5-83D2-4FF3A62B116E.jpeg

742DFDB5-429C-4AB0-8618-918B7508FDCD.jpeg

Old picture to start with to give perspective. How does a one man band move a body from sideways to right side up and then gently place it on top of a pristine frame? I don’t know but I did manage to man handle the body and not drop it on my toes.

The last picture made me smile. I will look back on this achievement as completely insignificant just because everything will come back off in a year to only be met with the realization I have to start from scratch yet again. For now, I will just bask in the thought of how nice the body looks on the frame. This thing is a little taller than I had imagined. It will grow on me but there will be grunting and wheezing sounds emanating from my body each time I get into WTF.

Not sure about the axle placement yet but smarter people than me said it’s ok. Front and rear springs on backwards to stretch out the ride.

View attachment 2985281

View attachment 2985282

View attachment 2985283

View attachment 2985284

View attachment 2985285
Having pushed (questionably overloaded) cherry pickers on many surfaces, I commend you in your ability to motivate this load- over GRASS no less...hats off to you sir.

Tis but an illusion. That busted @ss bent to $h1t picker is one scary mamma jamma. It lists hard right so it lifts light loads like engines/transmissions/transfer case and bodies separately nowadays. No overloaded pickers were harmed in the making of this journey 😉.

@Homey15 I gently lowered the paper thin body from its side gently placing it on the ground using the cherry picker. I then strapped the body on all four corners, lovingly placing it three inches above the frame height. At that point, I rolled one previously mentioned heavy sob of a rolling frame back down the gentle incline until it briefly touched the hoist. Using a hydraulic cart and 4x4 cribbing the body precariously teetered in mid air supported by an old pressure treated 2x4 and said cart. I moved the hoist to a better angle so the body could be raised and the frame rolled further down the hill. This repeated three times until I began the arduous journey of weaving the shifter and transfer case knob effortlessly through the hump (rusted bolts) holes. The best part was right at the end when I used the hydraulic release with too much zeal. The body plopped down on the frame with perfect alignment. I was amazed. I will be purchasing a red wrench before beginning the actual restoration. Plasma just blows holes through everything and MAPP gas isnt strong enough.

Tis but an illusion. That busted @ss bent to $h1t picker is one scary mamma jamma. It lists hard right so it lifts light loads like engines/transmissions/transfer case and bodies separately nowadays. No overloaded pickers were harmed in the making of this journey 😉.

@Homey15 I gently lowered the paper thin body from its side gently placing it on the ground using the cherry picker. I then strapped the body on all four corners, lovingly placing it three inches above the frame height. At that point, I rolled one previously mentioned heavy sob of a rolling frame back down the gentle incline until it briefly touched the hoist. Using a hydraulic cart and 4x4 cribbing the body precariously teetered in mid air supported by an old pressure treated 2x4 and said cart. I moved the hoist to a better angle so the body could be raised and the frame rolled further down the hill. This repeated three times until I began the arduous journey of weaving the shifter and transfer case knob effortlessly through the hump (rusted bolts) holes. The best part was right at the end when I used the hydraulic release with too much zeal. The body plopped down on the frame with perfect alignment. I was amazed. I will be purchasing a red wrench before beginning the actual restoration. Plasma just blows holes through everything and MAPP gas isnt strong enough.
Impressive creativity and determination at work here. Nice seeing it resemble a cruiser again, keep up the good work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom