Pet barrier with ARB Drawers and no 2nd row seats (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KLF

Frame waxer
SILVER Star
Threads
Tried searching, nothing is coming up for a solution.

GF and I just took on a Saint Bernard, and I'm looking to make a spot for him to travel with us. I have my 2nd row seats out and a full platform, but I made it so I can take out half of it in case I need to re-install the 40% seat. I don't think he's gonna fit well on the seat, he's a big fella. My idea is to put down a plywood platform in that spot and get a big cushy dog bed for him to ride on. I'd like to install a barrier at the front of the ARB drawers so he can't climb in the back and get into mischief, and also prevent cargo from flying forward. He will be harnessed in.

PXL_20220330_222331180.jpg

I know ARB makes a barrier for this, but it's prohibitively expensive (~$900). Wondering if anybody has come up with something using a less expensive "universal" fit mesh unit. The bottom mount is easy, but I'll need to come up with something to secure the top.

I think Travall makes a LC specific pet barrier.
Thanks! They have a shorter one, but all the photos are based on a Prado. Notes say "will not fit 8-seat models".

tdg1559_1.jpg

I ordered that Travall one, and it didn't fit. It is at least 6" too narrow. I went back and forth with them, and they refunded my purchase price. My suspicion is that it is really for a Prado.

There are tons of metal cargo barriers available in Austraila, both for behind the second row and behind the first row, but good luck getting one shipped here. I've tried so many vendors.

ARB has them available here, but as you say, they're pretty expensive. Nai at Roko in Mass can get them for you.

The only one that seems willing to ship is Kaon, and I don't like their barrier. Go figure.

I've been looking for a good solution for a long time. I think it is the side airbags and liability that put people off from offering these in the US.

I have a cheap barrier from Russia that I got on eBay a couple of years ago for like $60 that works if I really need a barrier. I don't like the mounting setup (attaches to headrest posts) at all.

Raingler makes nice nets for behind the front seats as well as for behind the second row. I had a second row barrier on my '13 and liked it (got during a group buy here on 'mud). I'll probably go with a custom net from him, once my new drawers arrive and I can take good measurements. Definitely works well for keeping the dogs in back and stopping projectiles.

Check this out if you want to drool over something we can't get: RV-020402-HCB Rear Cargo Barrier - Half height for fitment to RV drawer system, ADR Compliant

Last edited:
Tried searching, nothing is coming up for a solution.

GF and I just took on a Saint Bernard, and I'm looking to make a spot for him to travel with us. I have my 2nd row seats out and a full platform, but I made it so I can take out half of it in case I need to re-install the 40% seat. I don't think he's gonna fit well on the seat, he's a big fella. My idea is to put down a plywood platform in that spot and get a big cushy dog bed for him to ride on. I'd like to install a barrier at the front of the ARB drawers so he can't climb in the back and get into mischief, and also prevent cargo from flying forward. He will be harnessed in.

View attachment 2967000

I know ARB makes a barrier for this, but it's prohibitively expensive (~$900). Wondering if anybody has come up with something using a less expensive "universal" fit mesh unit. The bottom mount is easy, but I'll need to come up with something to secure the top.

Are you wanting A, B and C?
Or just A…all the way across?
1649020100577.jpeg

If you just want A all the way across, I might have a solution to suggest.

Are you wanting A, B and C?
Or just A…all the way across?
View attachment 2970655

If you just want A all the way across, I might have a solution to suggest.
I only want A, all the way across. I think I have something figured out, but would like to hear your ideas. Haven't started building it yet.

As of today I have the Victory Molle panels in the rear quarter windows, truck is still all apart though, had to pull out the drawers. Part of my design is to support the top rail with the Molle panels.

Thought I'd post an update, show my solution.

This is what I came up with. All of this was made with wood and other supplies that I already had in my stash. Used a piece of 3/4" plywood to make a platform for a travel bed, then added an edge with some poplar to keep the bed from moving around. Bolts go down into the existing threaded holes for the seats. Very easy to remove.

PXL_20220506_200153883.jpg

Found him a cushy bed on Amazon.

PXL_20220506_200305287.jpg

But I still needed some sort of barrier to keep him from crawling into the back, and to keep cargo from sliding forward. Found an old pet gate in the basement that I wasn't using anymore, so I harvested the plastic mesh. Used more poplar and pocket screws to build a frame. This bolts to the drawers and the Victory molle panels, where I installed some M6 threaded inserts, using some Simpson brackets I always keep on hand. (Extra credit for using OEM hardware ;)) Again, very quick and easy to remove, very strong.

PXL_20220506_200202568.jpg

PXL_20220506_200219117.jpg

PXL_20220506_200337999.jpg

The carpeting piece is held with snaps, it protects the fuse panel and collects extra fur/hair that he seems to shed in abundance.

We've taken him on several outings now and it works really well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom