What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (76 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@BillyGoatMTB what was that thermometer witchcraft involving the Fluke multimeter? Can the more budget (model 111) versions do that?

General query for the collective: Are the turn signal locations in the ARB bull bar a decent enough spot for some fog lights, or is that facet angled “wrong?” I’m thinking Baja s2 in those locations or that style light at any rate.

If you have a thermocouple some meters will read temp.

The fluke 87v will

Realized I'm about 1300 km's from an oil change with a 900km trip next Friday.

Decided to go get some oil from the Wal Mart up the street so I can change it Thursday. I've had problems finding 15-40 lately in stores. So i start looking earlier.
I lucked out. Wal Mart had the delvac 15-40 for $11 a gallon. I grabbed up 3 gallons as my upcoming oil change is also a filter change.

I was going to switch from rotella to delo this oil change. But for this price I'll run the delvac for 5000km.

Also found this at the wm and bought it. Goes well with the 80 series hot wheel i have

20220402_104320.jpg

Unloaded my camping gear. We got designated to work so I'm not going.

#theairforcecaneatmyass

Toyota did spend millions on R&D using their top engineers.

Toyota hardware is extremely high quality.

On a critical component with specialized hardware it is important. You can find threads and posts on here where people have installed the suspension hardware wrong knocking off the protrusions and their hardware fell out. Think about how the suspension works, off-roading with bigger than stock tires puts even more stress on this hardware. The bolts are not designed to move which is what the protrusions are designed to do. Bushings binding on bolts during flex can cause the bolts to move if they are not locked in place. If the bolts move they can come lose.

A vendor on here who is an engineer once told me they are a torque to yield bolt. I don’t agree with him on that. Every bolt or stud on a Cruiser that is TtY Toyota gives specs in the FSM to check for stretch. Toyota even allows reusing TtY hardware again if it is within spec. Suspension hardware is high torque but again I don’t believe they are TtY. We change the hardware out with new in our builds, not because of TtY but because they are under a lot of stress. After 20-30yrs you will often find the bolts with shoulders on them from wear. I see not issue reusing old hardware if the protrusions are not knocked off the flanges.

Cheers

The service manual states that the control arm bolts are "non-reusable".

20220402_132417.jpg

Toyota did spend millions on R&D using their top engineers.

Toyota hardware is extremely high quality.

On a critical component with specialized hardware it is important. You can find threads and posts on here where people have installed the suspension hardware wrong knocking off the protrusions and their hardware fell out. Think about how the suspension works, off-roading with bigger than stock tires puts even more stress on this hardware. The bolts are not designed to move which is what the protrusions are designed to do. Bushings binding on bolts during flex can cause the bolts to move if they are not locked in place. If the bolts move they can come lose.

A vendor on here who is an engineer once told me they are a torque to yield bolt. I don’t agree with him on that. Every bolt or stud on a Cruiser that is TtY Toyota gives specs in the FSM to check for stretch. Toyota even allows reusing TtY hardware again if it is within spec. Suspension hardware is high torque but again I don’t believe they are TtY. We change the hardware out with new in our builds, not because of TtY but because they are under a lot of stress. After 20-30yrs you will often find the bolts with shoulders on them from wear. I see not issue reusing old hardware if the protrusions are not knocked off the flanges.

Cheers

I work on airplanes day in and day out. I understand the need for correct and high quality hardware. I also have no doubt that the Toyota hardware is high quality.

But the amount of shame that people here out on others for *gasp* non OEM parts is one of the most off putting things about this forum.

It's made me stop my build thread.

The service manual states that the control arm bolts are "non-reusable".

View attachment 2969632

That doesn't mean they're tty. That just means Toyota doesn't recommend reuse. And based on the fact they have the serrations/teeth/whatever the official name is, I can see Toyota wanting them replaced at the dealer level, which is really what the fsm is for.

A lot of manufacturers will recommend replacement of hardware as a precaution to limit liability.

On my lightning the bolts that hold the intercooler to the midplate are listed as single use. They torque to 7 in/lbs and have non stress on them. Why would they need replaced?

That doesn't mean they're tty. That just means Toyota doesn't recommend reuse. And based on the fact they have the serrations/teeth/whatever the official name is, I can see Toyota wanting them replaced at the dealer level, which is really what the fsm is for.

A lot of manufacturers will recommend replacement of hardware as a precaution to limit liability.

On my lightning the bolts that hold the intercooler to the midplate are listed as single use. They torque to 7 in/lbs and have non stress on them. Why would they need replaced?

I was not suggesting they are TTY, I was simply pointing out that the manufacturer doesn't want them reused. As for your example could those be pre-coated with some type of sealing or locking compound? Toyota has some fasteners like that.

I work on airplanes day in and day out. I understand the need for correct and high quality hardware. I also have no doubt that the Toyota hardware is high quality.

But the amount of shame that people here out on others for *gasp* non OEM parts is one of the most off putting things about this forum.

Hey I hear ya, I am not busting your balls here at all. I am not questioning your skill or knowledge either. I am just typing info with my thumbs on my phone, people can do whatever they want with that info. 🤷🏼‍♂️

We don’t put Chinese parts on Cruisers because we have learned that bites us in the ass. When you stand behind your work come backs and do overs are a big nono because $$$ is on us.

Cheers

We don’t put Chinese parts on Cruisers because we have learned that bites us in the ass. When you stand behind your work come backs and do overs are a big nono because $$$ is on us.

Cheers
Better toss any of these you have in the bins. :lol:

IMG_4157.jpg

Hey I hear ya, I am not busting your balls here at all. I am not questioning your skill or knowledge either. I am just typing info with my thumbs on my phone, people can do whatever they want with that info. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Cheers

You can use quality without it being Chinese crap.

You meaning mud users. As a shop, I can see your side. Come backs are expensive wastes of time.

You can use quality without it being Chinese crap.

You meaning mud users. As a shop, I can see your side. Come backs are expensive wastes of time.

For sure, a particular brand available on Rock Auto as a replacement part is Four Seasons which is actually made in Japan. When parts become NLA from Toyota you have no choice but to use a non-OEM part.

Cheers

New PHH with Breeze clamps 🤬🤬🤬 and installed my own set of CPAcruiser HD Softshackle Recovery Points ❤️🪝

Oh and to add to the hardware/bolt conversation the sheer point of a 8.8 M12 bolt is over 62kN or roughly 14,000lbForce

IMG_20220402_123618.jpg

IMG_20220402_152639.jpg

Last edited:

You could try eating a spoonful of quikrete mix every morning. It might help you harden the F up.....

Haha, JK 😜

57603_460s.jpg

I actually agree, the whole oem parts only thing is over rated. I am using an Amazon special drivers side mirror for $44.00 and it works just as good as an oem mirror.

I actually agree, the whole oem parts only thing is over rated. I am using an Amazon special drivers side mirror for $44.00 and it works just as good as an oem mirror.
I will always be a proponent of OEM parts. IME the difference in quality when you look at them side by side is more drastic than most would guess.

That said, even I have admittedly made an exception - my truck has amazon hood and hatch struts. I did say 80 Hail-Mary's though before install. God help me.

Might be the same people that bypass the PHH with just the hose. Or maybe do the rear heater delete or change the paperclip style cooler or even lift their rig or put 35s, 37s or 40s while still using stock brakes..etc. etc. etc.....THE HORROR of not using specific Toyota hardware, especially when you already know what you are doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom