What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (39 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Heater control valve replacement, new OEM washable air filter, reman starter with new solenoid connector.
20220327_142318.jpg
20220327_151905.jpg
20220327_135812.jpg

I bought this 80 in Kansas and noticed on the drive back that there was a very noticeable lean in the drivers seat. After driving it for the last 5 months it became clear that a new seat was needed both for my sanity and my back. In comes the Scheel-mann
D62A9E8E-3E60-4164-9288-8959FD39A83C.jpeg

I went with the Vario F in grey with seat heater and arm rest. Color match is fantastic and install was a breeze. I know there have been plenty of reviews of these seats and they seem to have a fan-boy like following, but my ass and back have never been happier. PO had already put a switch in this location so I wanted to cover it with something. Would've preferred a Toyota seat switch in the coin slot or dash and may go that route in the future but this will do for now.
CF5EE4E1-EEEE-4E84-8C44-C52D60F37F30.jpeg

Started the weekend off early. Buddy of mine just got a new pistol so we ditched work to go shoot. Unfortunately, the spot we wanted to go to was closed. Luckily we found another spot. All in all it turned out to be a great day. View attachment 2962496View attachment 2962500View attachment 2962501
You're a brave man - Sauk River Road pit #1 can get super sketchy. I've seriously had morons set up behind me and try and shoot there.

Tweaker campfires and trash tend to ruin the experience, too. Basically had to park my truck in the middle of a camp fire to set up in the pic below.

IMG_20190203_102706.jpg

Hey, this is on my list...

Do you have P/N's easily handy? If I'm planning a respray should I just wait if it might be a year or so?
I will be getting a respray eventually but I couldn't stand the eyesore and the arm sore everytime I rested my arm on the window sill...lol I say do it now and they're super easy to remove...just have extra white clips on hand.

PARTSOUQ only has the front in stock currently...but @NLXTACY has the full set for $313 over at Wits end 👌🏻

75730-60020 Door Belt Molding, rear
75740-60020 Door Belt Molding, rear
75710-60021 Door Belt Molding, front
75720-60021 Door Belt Molding, front

Last edited:
Upper oil pan gasket, oil level sensor gasket, crank position sensor gasket @landtank style, dip stick gasket, motor mounts, power steering pump replacement (old pump had Chinese bearings so not original). Exhausted and dreaming of a lift....

You're a brave man - Sauk River Road pit #1 can get super sketchy. I've seriously had morons set up behind me and try and shoot there.

Tweaker campfires and trash tend to ruin the experience, too. Basically had to park my truck in the middle of a camp fire to set up in the pic below.

View attachment 2964731

View attachment 2964731
Yup that’s the spot. We drove up to Sedro Woolley

View attachment 2964731
Yup, that’s the spot. We drove up to Sedro Woolley first but found out the Medford shooting pit was closed. Went through Rockport to Darrington to check out spots on the river rd. Got lucky and found the first pit unoccupied . Normally that isn’t the case.

It’s been close to two years since I’ve been up there. I know the spot right after the fairgrounds was closed/blocked off last time I was there. Heard of other spots off the Christian camp road but have never gone that way yet.

I normally shoot suppressed either in my parent’s backyard or my buddie’s property. Been awhile since I’ve shot w/o suppressor’s and since he just got a new pistol w/o a threaded barrel decided to make a day for it.😄

Over the weekend:
I put in a new Duracell 27F to replace the dying 5-year-old autocraft gold battery. After sitting a few days the old battery barely turned the motor over. The Duracell was substantially larger even though they’re both 27f’s.
I took the glass out of both front doors, cleaned everything, adjusted the glass on the bracket, greased the mechanisms, sound deadened the doors, cleaned the locks, got the key code from the passenger side lock, installed new window runs, fixed a disconnected speaker, and put it all back together.
I practiced tig welding by making a small aluminum cradle for my handheld radio. It mounts on my wits-end cubby mount.
Also tightened the belts.

View attachment 2964731
All of these homeless "campers" really need to GTFO. Or at least something more needs to be done about them. It's a real problem and they are going to be the reason that these public lands get shut down. Some of these 'environmental' groups are just itching to have any kind of reason to shut it all down. A lot of great groups are involved in cleaning all this mess but it has to have some kind of punishment for it actually happening.

All of these homeless "campers" really need to GTFO. Or at least something more needs to be done about them. It's a real problem and they are going to be the reason that these public lands get shut down. Some of these 'environmental' groups are just itching to have any kind of reason to shut it all down. A lot of great groups are involved in cleaning all this mess but it has to have some kind of punishment for it actually happening.

It's a huge problem in my area. They just set up camps that are more like compounds out on the BLM and stay there for months. The BLM won't do anything about because the BLM wants them to dig their own graves. Like you said, it's just more reason for the environmentalist types and the government to shut down our access.

We like to go out and try to annoy them with our trucks and target shooting lol.

It's a huge problem in my area. They just set up camps that are more like compounds out on the BLM and stay there for months. The BLM won't do anything about because the BLM wants them to dig their own graves. Like you said, it's just more reason for the environmentalist types and the government to shut down our access.

We like to go out and try to annoy them with our trucks and target shooting lol.
"target" shooting? hahaha...that would cure the problem...not that I am implying anything! I mentioned this in some other clean-up videos somewhere but as big as the group(s) get to clean they should also draft a form letter and send them to all the other groups that then get sent to the respective government representatives. Force them to do their jobs. That's really the only way this would get solved.

Finishing up the rear conversion into a mini camper, of sorts.

Cubby system is done and top sleeping platform will be finished in the next week or so. Would love a drawer system, but they're incredibly expensive and I'm no carpenter. Instead, spending a few weekends with the old man and basic woodworking seems to have done the trick.

3/4" maple ply, 2x8 supports, and leftover 4x4 posts with shims for leveling - turned out pretty decent!

View attachment 2961142
no , you did not do that

Replaced the antenna (manual), because original was looking rough due to corrosion and overspray from what I assume was the Aussie equivalent of Maaco.
Before:
IMG_20220319_130000882.jpg

After:
IMG_20220328_111410831.jpg

I had hoped to just replace the mast and outer hardware, but apparently the mast from the original is permanently attached to the cable, so I have to replace the entire assembly including the cable. I was not in the mood to dig into the dash so the new antenna is currently not connected. No worries though, since I don't use the radio, and I plan to install a powered sub in the not too distant future, so I'll connect the cable at that time and only have to get into the dash once.

I noticed in the parking lot at church on Sunday that the sombrero emblem was hanging by a single post and about to fall. (This picture is staged, as I didn't take the time to take a picture in the church parking lot but rather just grabbed the emblem and stuck it in the truck to deal with later.)
IMG_20220327_162106312.jpg

So that afternoon I removed the old adhesive from the emblem, cleaned the mounting point, and applied new 3M trim adhesive tape. Good as new!

IMG_20220327_162118940.jpg

IMG_20220327_163058143.jpg

Last edited:
did you pack those tapered roller bearings with grease? I thought they were lubricated by the gear oil in the case?
Not fully packed, just a good smear to be sure the don't run dry. It does seem a bit overkill, but better lubed then not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom