Sealed “lifetime” tranny fluid didn’t past the taste test. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BullElk

SILVER Star
Threads
‘06 LX 296k miles. Not sure when or if tranny fluid has been changed. Certainly not in last 80k miles that I’ve had it. It looks more like the color of old engine oil…which tells me I need to change it. I’ve never had any tranny fluid this dark and dirty. Perhaps it is a common symptom of World Standard fluid. ?

I changed out a little more than three quarts of which four quarts is all the dealership would sell me. Maybe that will make it 25% better… for now.

B10D0F9E-4E9E-4F88-B022-0D8EB1F94CBB.jpeg

I changed out a little more than three quarts of which four quarts is all the dealership would sell me.
Did your dealership cap the amount you could purchase, or is that all they had in stock??

Did your dealership cap the amount you could purchase, or is that all they had in stock??
They capped it saying the WS fluid is getting harder to get. After I talked them into it. I guess they need it for service customers. They also would not give me the discount, $6/bottle, that showed up online. I had to go to dealership and pay $10.91/bottle.

They capped it saying the WS fluid is getting harder to get. After I talked them into it. I guess they need it for service customers. They also would not give me the discount, $6/bottle, that showed up online. I had to go to dealership and pay $10.91/bottle.
I seriously consider maxlife right now. It seems even better than WS per some discussions floating around.

Yikes, that looks atrocious. I would be curious to hear what Blackstone would say about that fluid!

I do a drain/fill every year, and it always looks red if not slightly darker than the stuff that is going in. IMO every fluid on this vehicle needs to be at least drain/filled (if not flushed) annually, with exceptions for coolant and differential (2 years).

Yikes, that looks atrocious. I would be curious to hear what Blackstone would say about that fluid!

I do a drain/fill every year, and it always looks red if not slightly darker than the stuff that is going in. IMO every fluid on this vehicle needs to be at least drain/filled (if not flushed) annually, with exceptions for coolant and differential (2 years).
I am good about checking tranny fluids in all of my nonsealed version LX/LCs on a very often basis. And they always look perfect bright and clean. When replacing radiator in my '04 LX, I noticed the tranny fluid was a bit dark when disconnecting lines from radiator. I then decided to do two pan drain and refills on it. That fluid was a little dark but wasn't terrible. That is when I decided to drain the '06. I plan to get more fluid and drain it again. Btw, no issues at all with tranny shifting in either LX.

Garden sprayer fill method is THE way to fill the sealed system.

I seriously consider maxlife right now. It seems even better than WS per some discussions floating around.
I do need to research that to find the best option for WS fluid. Thanks

This thread just made me realize that I’m not as familiar with the 100 series platform as I thought….

I have no idea what transmission fluid is supposed to taste like, good or bad.

Last edited:
This thread just made me realize that I’m not as familiar with the 100 series platform as I thought….

Taste like chicken, if I'm understanding correctly.

I am starting to worry about you. Are you okay? Changing transmission fluid is not something I expect to see from you. You did it on more than one cruisers too.
Correct. I am not okay. Not sure if it was buying new tranny fluid or tasting the old fluid. :vomit: Yes I never change transmission fluid unless it is dirty or smells bad and ironically the sealed "lifetime" flavor is the only one's that have looked bad. The other older Lexii have all looked good for many years. So I am officailly an OCD cruiserhead.

I've been looking for this brand of ATF. The oil is delicious!

242082692_10225418139705587_2638877146428868671_n.jpg

Why would you use anything but the toyota specified fluid in something like a transmission?

+1 for maxlife. Did a fluid exchange on my old 04 LS430 with it. Fluid looked like used motor oil, probably the original @284k. No issues after.
What about mixing Maxlife with the current WS fluid as I do another couple drain and fills? ML is about half the price IF it is safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom