Oil pan arch seal (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A bit closer shot

IMG_1421.JPG

1980 (10/79) BJ40 - B Engine - I just replaced the rear main seal about 2 months ago and my oil leak is bigger than it was before (4" pool every night). Cleaned it up and added UV to track and it is clearly coming from around the starter and the clutch fork. I am reading online about the Pan Arch Seal, but I can't find anything about it. Thoughts/Guidance?

Thanks - Josh

IMG_8426.jpg

IMG_8792.jpg

IMG_8793.jpg

IMG_8798.jpg

IMG_8803.jpg

What vehicle and what engine are we talking about here? I am going to guess fj or bj40? if so you don't have an oil pan arch as far as i know. Oil pan arch seal is on the 1fzfe which has two oil pans (upper and lower).

What vehicle and what engine are we talking about here? I am going to guess fj or bj40? if so you don't have an oil pan arch as far as i know. Oil pan arch seal is on the 1fzfe which has two oil pans (upper and lower).
clx16 - Ahh - good to know! 1980 BJ40 (manufactured 10/1979) - B Engine.

The crank seal surface, did it have a groove worn in to it? and if so did you push seal in further to get back to flat sealing surface? being that it is coming out your clutch fork hole on the bellhousing.... i am going to say that you might verify the seal is still in place as oil typically moves south unless slung other directions... either that or you have oil getting in to the bellhousing from much higher.

Thanks clx16! I don't remember if there was a groove or not. Luckily I get a chance to tear it apart and check again! :) I'll also see if I can see a leak higher, but I am pretty sure a redo will be required. Thanks!

Careful on my advise as I have no qualifications. But if you can safely push the seal in further past a potential groove i think that would be the typical "solution" on many shaft/wear groove situations.

I have a very small leak from what I think is the pan arch seal.
I am scheduling the process of having my local cruiser shop doing the HG.

Once we have the head off, is there any point in doing the pan arch seal at the same time?
I assume that the seal is done from the bottom so not much point but maybe I am wrong?

I wasn't too worried about it as it's a slow weep but I hate oil leaks of any kind.

Not really a job for while you are in there as you need to lift the engine a little and disconnect the motor mounts to get the upper pan in and out. Can be done while head is being worked but not really benefitial to do at the same time.at least in my opinion

I have a very small leak from what I think is the pan arch seal.
I am scheduling the process of having my local cruiser shop doing the HG.

Once we have the head off, is there any point in doing the pan arch seal at the same time?
I assume that the seal is done from the bottom so not much point but maybe I am wrong?

I wasn't too worried about it as it's a slow weep but I hate oil leaks of any kind.
I agree with @clx16 on this with the exception to it being, if the truck is in the shop and torn apart anyway, maybe they can do the arch seal while the head is being rebuilt so they are still continuously working on it while someone else is rebuilding the head and they are waiting to get it back. Assuming they want to do it that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom