Threads worn (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an upper rear shock mount that pretty much had no threads on the stud after removing the castle nut. I tried to retread with same m12 threads but really wasn’t enough there to tighten a new nut with any torque. I was thinking of maybe threading with 7/16 tap??? Anybody have any ideas ?

Replacement bolts are available for the 40 series

ECB78C85-A3E8-4D98-95CC-8B995B620762.jpeg

Yeah I don’t know what those go to?? My setup uses a stud welded to a tubular crossmember. You must be thinking about maybe front shocks?

Yeah I don’t know what those go to?? My setup uses a stud welded to a tubular crossmember. You must be thinking about maybe front shocks?
Ain't front shocks more the vertical stud?

I suppose I could obtain a bolt like that if I can’t thread the stud with a 7/16th die. Cut and weld something. Just didn’t want to make a big project out of it

Just figured 7/16 is a bit smaller than the M12. Might be right size to make some decent threads.

Yes. Since you did not initially specify, I thought you were referring to the front shock.

I’m surprised not to hear anyone else have an issue with shocks. These FJ40s were built with the worst steel back in the 70s. Maybe everyone is from the south ?

I’m surprised not to hear anyone else have an issue with shocks. These FJ40s were built with the worst steel back in the 70s. Maybe everyone is from the south ?
its no worse than anything else from the era??

I think Toyota used steel with just so many impurities. My internationals just unbolt no problem. Usually my Fords are pretty good too. Yeah not a bad idea with the bolt, I’ll try that if the rethreading doesn’t work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom