8x Series V8 Swaps (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Custom intake found on the web. A good builder would have painted it black!

275567640_10158275064076850_5803321451502763790_n.jpg
I've seen this done with black sewer pipe no rattle can needed

Curious if anyone in here has mated the Marks adapter to a 6L90? I have had my adapter for a few months and as we are just about to get the new engine back from the machine shop...it seems like the adapter isn't fitting on the back of my transmission...
The sku I ordered was MFP1945A

Here is an image of the adapter lined up to the output cover of the transmission to see if the holes line up. Only 3 of 6 line up. Am I doing something wrong? Also...the shaft extender they sent has a diameter that is too small for my shaft. (Thats what she said.)

Thanks for any advice.

image0.jpeg

@Tinkertoy The 6l90 in Australia has the same output shaft spline count as the 6l80, not sure on the geometry on the rest of the shaft. Here it does not. If you look back a page or two, I asked a similar question. It ‘looks’ like a few years of the camaro had the 6l90 with the correct output shaft, but as far as I know, no one has swapped one into a 6l90 and tried to use the adapter.

@Tinkertoy The 6l90 in Australia has the same output shaft spline count as the 6l80, not sure on the geometry on the rest of the shaft. Here it does not. If you look back a page or two, I asked a similar question. It ‘looks’ like a few years of the camaro had the 6l90 with the correct output shaft, but as far as I know, no one has swapped one into a 6l90 and tried to use the adapter.
Even if the output shaft is wrong. The adapter should line up. I get it that it’s aftermarket. But 2 of the hikes are at least 1/4 an inch off. I’ll call Marks today to get an update.

Even if the output shaft is wrong. The adapter should line up. I get it that it’s aftermarket. But 2 of the hikes are at least 1/4 an inch off. I’ll call Marks today to get an update.
Keep me posted. I have a MFP1945A already, but still looking for a low miles L83/6L80e combo and I hope the holes line up.

4.88s are freaking perfect. You won’t be disappointed. My last two tanks averaged just a hair below 17mpg.
RE regearing after V8 swap: at almost a year later would you still go with 4.88s? What mpg have you seen on your 37s since? After my swap is complete (LQ9 & NV4500), I plan to run 35s and occasionally drive on the highway but mostly it'll be a daily driver and weekend trail rig. Thanks for your input! I've seen your posts all over this helpful thread.

Keep me posted. I have a MFP1945A already, but still looking for a low miles L83/6L80e combo and I hope the holes line up.
So 5 of the 6 holes line up. I had to grind a small part of the casing a bit to get the adapter to fit. The issue I have now is that the output shaft of the 6l90 is a 36 spline and Marks only supports a 32 spline...There has to be a solution. I will call @torfab tomorrow to see if they have a solution. I just can't believe that this can't work.

So 5 of the 6 holes line up. I had to grind a small part of the casing a bit to get the adapter to fit. The issue I have now is that the output shaft of the 6l90 is a 36 spline and Marks only supports a 32 spline...There has to be a solution. I will call @torfab tomorrow to see if they have a solution. I just can't believe that this can't work.

Edited to add that it is a bummer that one needs to grind a new part....

As far as my research goes, you need to have the output shaft milled to 32 spline, which Moser will do for a low cost, or purchase a 32 spline 6l90e output shaft.

There is a Camaro ZL1 6l90e 32 spline output shaft. I posted earlier a link to a parts diagram.

I posted this earlier, and I am not 100% positive this will work. : 45678DD - 6L90 USED 4X4 OUTPUT SHAFT - Product Details - https://www.buffaloengine.com/catalog/p-110387/45678dd-6l90-used-4x4-output-shaft

RE regearing after V8 swap: at almost a year later would you still go with 4.88s? What mpg have you seen on your 37s since? After my swap is complete (LQ9 & NV4500), I plan to run 35s and occasionally drive on the highway but mostly it'll be a daily driver and weekend trail rig. Thanks for your input! I've seen your posts all over this helpful thread.
I see around 15 average. Would definitely still go with 4.88 ratio. I’m not sure how they would run with your setup though. Once you get it going post up though. My 40 is running a nv4500 amd SBC and I recently picked up a L33 to mate to it eventually.

I see around 15 average. Would definitely still go with 4.88 ratio. I’m not sure how they would run with your setup though. Once you get it going post up though. My 40 is running a nv4500 amd SBC and I recently picked up a L33 to mate to it eventually.
Do you say that based on my anticipated tire size (35) or trans? It's been a process, as you well know! I will definitely post more details as it continues.

Do you say that based on my anticipated tire size (35) or trans? It's been a process, as you well know! I will definitely post more details as it continues.
Both. I'm not sure of the difference in final drive ratio between the two. Could be figured out easily enough though.

I am sure those 35s will eventually look small and you'll want to go bigger though😜

I'm going to touch base on our adapter for a minute since @Feldrian mentioned it. We made it because the 8 and 10 speed transmissions are so smooth, and after a lot of effort to make the 6 speed work the way I wanted it with our LT4 conversion, I decided to make our own adapter. At this time we have 3 installed in vehicles, and we're so far very happy with the results. The latest was an L87 6.2 with 10L80e, and that combo has turned out great. We designed the adapter with a set of bolt-in motor mounts as well, so the whole combo can be installed without welding to the frame at all, and you use the stock shifters for trans and T-case.

At the moment, we are probably going to keep it in house until I see enough of our conversions with no adverse conditions. That LT4 is by no means a slouch, so I know the hardened spud shaft can handle the power. I'll reconsider in the near future though if there's enough demand :beer:
Tor,

I have been calling your shop this week as I am in the middle of a swap and I need a custom spudshaft if you can produce it.

I have a L96 6.0 that is cammed. It will not be the power that @Feldrian has, but it will get up and go. The challenge I have is that I have a 6l90 with a 36 spline. I had bought the Mark's adapter prior to realizing the issue. I just need a custom spud shaft. Do you have...or can you produce a custom shaft for me please!?

Tor,

I have been calling your shop this week as I am in the middle of a swap and I need a custom spudshaft if you can produce it.

I have a L96 6.0 that is cammed. It will not be the power that @Feldrian has, but it will get up and go. The challenge I have is that I have a 6l90 with a 36 spline. I had bought the Mark's adapter prior to realizing the issue. I just need a custom spud shaft. Do you have...or can you produce a custom shaft for me please!?
Did you see the answer to your question a few posts back, and several pages back? These are easy to tear down and there is a stock output shaft that will be cheaper and stronger than a one off spud shaft.

We can't help with that, we don't make the custom shafts. You'll need to tear it down and replace the output shaft with that of a 6L80 and use the marks adapter kit from there. Sorry man, take it to a transmission shop to get it done right?

Made something for my soon to be CA legal 5.3L swap. In-line fuel tank pressure sensor mount. This thing seals up tight too, no leaks. this will go inline with the vapor line off the tank to the filler. I’m going to put it right off the tank.
812CB3DD-8533-4B29-BF7F-4FC79EE55535.jpeg
3B00CD7C-7625-4639-A7E9-DDA589138D4B.jpeg

This is just to show the flat area for the sensor.
A34DCAB7-D3B5-4438-ACAF-8307E6D427FD.jpeg

C7B17E62-E547-4B01-B090-50C0E2BD9982.jpeg

Made something for my soon to be CA legal 5.3L swap. In-line fuel tank pressure sensor mount. This thing seals up tight too, no leaks. this will go inline with the vapor line off the tank to the filler. I’m going to put it right off the tank. View attachment 2966431View attachment 2966432
This is just to show the flat area for the sensor.
View attachment 2966433

View attachment 2966439

Nice ... I put mine up near the charcoal canister.
What are you doing for the GM fuel level sensor? That's still something I need to figure out.

Nice ... I put mine up near the charcoal canister.
What are you doing for the GM fuel level sensor? That's still something I need to figure out.
Did you use the GM charcoal canister? I have to for smog compliance. On the sender, I removed the GM one from the fuel pump assembly and going to mount it to the side of the Toyota one. Then run the wires up to some boss style terminals in the factory fuel pump top plate. I saw someone on here that did that and it was cleanly done.

Still in the dream stage of what year engine/trans to buy. I see that buying a 32 spline shaft is easier to find but curious if you went with 2 wheel or 4x4 trans. I'm thinking 2012+- L96 with 6L90 but not sure whether to find 2 wheel or if 4x4 is ok. Haven't been through this thread in awhile and maybe it's listed here or on Mark's page. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom