22RE tire options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ozarkmud

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi everyone,

I have a 4x4 pickup with a 22RE, 5-speed. It came from the factory with 4.10 gears, but a previous owner put 31" tires on it. Living in the mountains, it's a bit of a dog on the hills. the 31x10.5 size is a far cry from the 225/75R15 it was specced for.

I called a differential shop, and they estimated $2-3k for a 4.56 regear. While I could find replacement pumpkins for less, I don't think I'll bother.

Anyway, I'm wanting to get back some pep and am not happy with the tires on it anyway. So initially I was looking at 225/75R15, but selection is limited. I'm looking for an all-terrain tire that can survive a fair bit of gravel road abuse.

The Toyo Open Country AT III looks like a good bet. I can get it in 225/75R15, or I can jump up to 235/75R15 and get it SL-rated or C-rated. The C-rated tire is quite a bit heavier, and I'd hope tougher.

I'm wondering if I'm kidding myself, thinking the SL-rated tire is too little, or if I'm being realistic. I realize it's a light pickup. I do quite a bit of gravel road driving though.

I did consider putting 16" wheels on it, but it's very hard to find tires for 16" wheels, smaller in diameter than 31".

Thanks!

Edit: Would like to point out that the tread depth is also a lot higher on the C-rated tires than the SL-rated tires, at least in these smaller sizes.

What about trying a 30x9.50r15?

What about trying a 30x9.50r15?
30x9.5R15 is 29.8" tall and its ideal rim is 7.5" wide, at least for the Toyo Open Country AT3. It would certainly be an improvement over the 31x10.5" tire, but it's still a bit bigger than I'd like compared to the stock size, and the wear would not be ideal for me.

225/75R15 is 28.3" tall and fits perfectly on a 6" wide rim. 235/75R15 (LT) is 29.1" tall and is best on a 6.5" wheel. I'm planning to run a 6" wide wheel, so I feel this is probably a fair compromise if I do need the LT tire.

Thanks for replying!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom