What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (20 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This past Wednesday, I received 5 Kenda Klever 35" x 10.5" R 17" and wrapped them around 5 SCS Stealth Blue F5's in a -38mm offset. I had to manually unlock my rear Diff Loc, because the actuator is broken (41450-60042).
With the rear end unlocked, I could install my new wheelset! 35" tyres look awesome on a stock LC80. Next step is saving for the DeltaVS 3" lift kit - that's going to take a while.

On my way back from this. Miss it already.

915BF8B6-EF39-473D-B439-48F0D670FD5D.jpeg

388CE682-A019-42B8-873F-8166F6FBC1F8.jpeg

Worked on the cabin NVH and temps a little. Removed rear heater core/blower, then put down a few bits of hushmat damping over the OEM dampener where the panels sounded a little tinny still, then laid 170mil noico foam down (not all tacked down, just taped in loosely), then covered PS front and rear and DS with 3mm radiant barrier insulation that got taped up. Tried to cover trans tunnel entirely.

Initial impression is quieter ride and much less heat from trans tunnel, but will see if heat is actually better on my next long drive.

Ordered a new shift lever boot (33555-60071) because the original boot is wide open to the road when in Drive.

Also did hushmat and noico foam in 2 of 4 doors while replacing window motors and glass runs.
Got some more hushmat and noico in. One door left + replace regulator and glass runs. Side note, the difference in road noise heard in the cabin from all this work is noticeable. The strange thing is I don't really like it! I'm just not used to it and all the "normal" operating noises I'm familiar with are either gone or muted. I'll probably get used to this new normal soon enough, but it does make it feel like a different vehicle.

Replaced the shift boot this afternoon and tried to clean up the top side of the assembly. Filthy. I think someone (definitely not me lol) spilled something on it, combined with a penny that had fallen down in there created some kind of chemical reaction and caused some corrosion. Not bad, but I was hoping it would be all shiny and new with some elbow grease. Oh well. Whatever happened caused the penny to "buckle" and it is cone shaped now.

PXL_20220219_222441184.jpg

PXL_20220219_222552541.jpg

Lastly, the transmission harness shielding is mostly intact, but it had disintegrated where it was making contact with a bracket from the transmission. I put some split loom on that spot as a temporary fix.
2022-03-13 18_01_14-Window.jpg

The harness heading back toward the engine appeared to be in ok shape. The transmission will be dropped this summer when the new engine is put in and harness inspected, crispy connectors replaced, and new heat wrap and shielding installed.
PXL_20220313_223241777.jpg

Drove it the storage unit to put the ice fishing gear away and get my hunting blind for spring turkey.

20220313_205149.jpg

On my way home I decided to get a new tool chest for the back of the cruiser.

20220313_205326.jpg

Okay, it's not really for the back of the cruiser. It is going to store grandpa's antique tools and other treasures.

I was actually pulling into the neighborhood and saw a new neighbor who is an older gentleman struggling to move an old desk from the back of his fj cruiser.

I pulled over to give him a hand and ended up spending a couple hours getting to know the guy. He spent 6 years in the army air calvary as a crew chief in Vietnam. Than the guy spent 30 years working for the police in California.

What an amazing man, he spends his free time restoring antique machinist chests. He had a whole garage full of them and after seeing them all I had to get one.

He said this chest was made in the early 1900's by a company called Jennings. It still had someone's machinist notebook with it. Super cool!!!!!
20220313_205335.jpg
20220313_205352.jpg
20220313_205410.jpg

Drove it the storage unit to put the ice fishing gear away and get my hunting blind for spring turkey.

Okay, it's not really for the back of the cruiser. It is going to store grandpa's antique tools and other treasures.

I was actually pulling into the neighborhood and saw a new neighbor who is an older gentleman struggling to move an old desk from the back of his fj cruiser.

I pulled over to give him a hand and ended up spending a couple hours getting to know the guy. He spent 6 years in the army air calvary as a crew chief in Vietnam. Than the guy spent 30 years working for the police in California.

What an amazing man, he spends his free time restoring antique machinist chests. He had a whole garage full of them and after seeing them all I had to get one.

He said this chest was made in the early 1900's by a company called Jennings. It still had someone's machinist notebook with it. Super cool!!!!!
View attachment 2951845
Awesome. That little book was the ih8mud of 1894. Crazy when you think how much information we have access to 24/7 (and, at least for me, how little we do with it!)

Awesome. That little book was the ih8mud of 1894. Crazy when you think how much information we have access to 24/7 (and, at least for me, how little we do with it!)

I just looked at the little book some more. I think it was used to record measurments and stuff for making gears.

I don't know what is more awesome, the book, the chest, or the guy restoring the chests.

Okay, the guy restoring the chests is the most awesome. I am definitely going to visit the guy some more. He seemed super happy to have someone to talk to.

View attachment 2951842

View attachment 2951843

View attachment 2951844View attachment 2951845View attachment 2951846
Everyone had such nice handwriting back then. It's almost like people cared about the small things to ensure they cared about the big things. That's a treasure.

I looked at it sitting in the driveway all smug and running while I worked on my 82 CJ7.

Was it at all sporty on the ride due to tow weight? I have an emerald green and another desert dune/moon glow combo as well.
It was pretty comfy, I have heavy stock height ome coils and new Toyota shocks on it. Getting going was easy, plenty of power. Stopping was the tough part.

I can't seem to find this bracket on @NLXTACY site.

Oops, looks like I posted that without thinking it through. These other guys are correct. Delta VS Relocate and Wits End Nozzle upgrade. Sorry about that. If @NLXTACY did make a relocate, you know it would be a good one. Nozzle upgrade is awesome.

Last edited:
Yeah, in Mojave desert and about to exit to head to dv. My sad view this morning below. Sad for people heading to work :)

Cheers, george

PXL_20220314_152224680.jpg

Great Mojave Road trip. Anton Canyon. I need the former deep water crossing is filled in, but the one a mile down the trail under the RR bridge is now deep! Stay to the bank away from RR tracks. It’s very deep in the inside. Travelers monument, Lava Tubes, Kelso dunes.

F&)#% ga$$$$. Ride from Ludlow to Bakersfield was into 30knot headwind and Record low 8-10mpg.
62FE5DC5-A4D2-44A2-8637-7EB4387FFB94.jpeg
3F11DC3D-FBC8-49CA-9885-E58FBAADB6CE.jpeg
01DAB9F1-F42A-4D32-B6A1-30FFD44AFF29.jpeg
0DA367FC-46DE-4533-B37D-54DBFF645854.jpeg
5BA6D69E-1A15-442F-8255-19205555BC63.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom