Is this Pertronix Wired Correctly? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought a 77' which has a new Pertronix installed but there's no spark. Just to be sure there aren't other issues I've pulled the distributor and the gear is in good shape, and the cap, rotor, and coil are all new. I've been searching online but haven't confirmed if this is wired correctly yet so I'm hoping for some help. Every 40 I've worked on has either stock ignition or a DUI (which I'm very seriously considering adding/replacing here, unless the Pertronix is worth troubleshooting).

This is how it's wired, and while trying to turn over the engine I get a little smoke from what I assume is the ballast resistor (the gray bar with a + on it). I found one thread stating a little resistor smoke isn't uncommon so I'm not too worried (yet). I've also read that the ballast resistor isn't needed with Pertronix, but also that you can burn it up by not using one.....
1646711952560.png

You can download the instruction sheet and check...

Thanks, I'm not sure how I missed that doc. It looks good to me, but still no spark. I'm going to pull it and go with a DUI.

Are you blowing fuses. ?

You may have other online fuses other than under dash

Power elsewhere?

I also blew out my first pertronix. Just jackin around with the alternator and other stuff.

Pull the cap and inspect the pertronix. Mine was cooked

No spark from the coil, and the Pertronix does looks new. I didn't see any fuses blown but I'll check it again. The black/yellow wire at the coil does get +12 when the you hit the starter, so I expect a spark. I also checked the coil+resistor and am seeing just over 3ohms, which is what the documentation suggests (1.8ohms at the coil itself).

Last edited:
My pertronix does not use an external resistor and I deleted the pink resistor wire in the harness

Try it without it

But the fact that you are not gettting spark from the coil is probably an issue.

Your current distributor is a good vacuum advance distributor and is worth keeping. BTW, it can easily be converted to Toyota electronic ignition, using parts from '78 through '87 2F distributors. I've built several of them already, and have all the required parts in hand. PM me if interested.

Read this

Your current distributor is a good vacuum advance distributor and is worth keeping. BTW, it can easily be converted to Toyota electronic ignition, using parts from '78 through '87 2F distributors. I've built several of them already, and have all the required parts in hand. PM me if interested.

Thank you, I'll let you know. I think the PO replaced a bad coil with another bad coil, but I've got another spare kicking around I need to find and test then we'll see where we land.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom