Builds Broski's Adventure Rig build thread (10 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not much going on with the cruiser right now.
I did get some cut to fit floor mats.
1640795496028.png

I'm happy with the way they fit.
I also went with some new cup holders.
1640795615165.png

I like this holder as it fits the 24 oz insulated Hydro Flask my Son got me for Xmas last year. otherwise the square holders are just fine for beer and soda cans and my coffee mug ;)

Will not much going on here. time for some updates
Nothing exciting, maintenance type stuff.
Got 1 new tire and then used the never been on the ground spare to get 2 new tires in the front
1646529527003.png

Collected a bunch of new parts.
1646529647481.png

On the list of to do stuff
Oil pump and front main seal
Motor and trans mounts
cap & rotor
coolant change
oil change
belts
bunch of little hose's that were not replaced when the head gasket was done.

1646530312503.png

Tearing into it.
Been moving slow after a knee injury coupled with a back strain. thankfully I am felling much better and can climb around the truck again to work on it.

The shop got a cool new sign made by @bluehawk it's pretty sweet !!
1646531444349.png

Thanks Ryan

Hey is that the awesome airbox you have mentioned almost visible in your pic? I'm wondering if it might work in my application.

I like the sign.
That's just a small portion of it, I will get you a better picture of it tomorrow, with measurements. but I'm thinking it's to big

Got a little more done ;)
The crank tool from @CPACruiser worked really well
1646663869588.png

Thanks CPA

I recall you and your exchanging about engine tick as being the PS cog at least on my truck. Going to replace cog on PS pump before SAS. If you are thinking about it is a great time to do so.

I really should, I ran the motor with out the water pump hooked up and the noise was still there. I was hoping in my case the noise was the water pump, easier and that system is already opened up.
I need it buttoned up for a Death Valley run first week of April then Cruise Moab a few weeks after that.
Definitely excited about SAS and have a little more time before that Run ;)

Sassy really enjoys her morning walks. It was another pinch yourself morning, t-shirt weather in march on the Central Coast.
Loving it, miles of deserted Bluff trails

1646676502779.png

1646676575575.png

Our dogs would LOVE that area. 4 Golden Retrievers an English Setter and an Irish Setter. Sorry for the hijack. NICE area.
No worries, not a hijack

Not to happy with this, Ideas
1646703583851.png

Groove in the Harmonic balancer on the seal surface.

Last edited:
Also found this The oil pump seal has been done before screws were stripped and someone did a bad job of getting them out
1646703865581.png

The upper left two screws holes and bottom right :mad:

Running a longer screw in the holes it seem I can use a 1/4 longer screw. this would get me more thread contact.

Any one see a issue with this plan ?

1646704169571.png
:mad: :mad: :bang:

Last edited:
I haven’t gotten mine off yet but the the phillips looks pretty stripped. While searching for parts I came across the frt cover you can still buy. I was thinking I might have to do that.

Also found this The oil pump seal has been done before screws were stripped and someone did a bad job of getting them out View attachment 2946008
The upper lift two screws holes and bottom right :mad:

Running a longer screw in the holes it seem I can use a 1/4 longer screw. this would get me more thread contact.

Any one see a issue with this plan ?

View attachment 2946010 :mad: :mad: :bang:
Wow, wtf! What will longer screws achieve? I’d get a new oil pump cover, those are still available. As long as you have good thread contact which it looks like you do, I think you’ll be fine but I’m just guessing. It isn’t a high pressure area so I would just run new screws and cover.

There are speedy sleeves available for the balancer. I don't care for them but many people use them.

"Sometimes" you can position the seal slightly out or further in getting the lip out of the groove.

If a new cover is affordable and available it's the best solution.

The longer bolts may work?

You can coat the bolt with a mold release or paste wax and use epoxy around it in the bore to fix the hole. The bolt will unscrew as long as you coat it. I've done it.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

So I am finding new harmonic balance. just a long lead time and $$

I don't see the cover as a issue. it's the threads, my thought was the longer screws would have more thread contract in the compromised holes.

It doesn't have to be pretty. As long as the bolts hold the required torque.

Stick a speedy sleeve on the damper until you get a better one. Even just a new seal might get you by for a while. How soon do you need it running?

At least you'll be back on the road.

I think a new cover is $20 give or take and the harmonic balancer is anywhere from $200-400...I know EB Toyota has one for $390 but that's tough to swallow.

Since there are 5 other screws over the cover itself, I think you'll be perfectly fine with the method @aztoyman stated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom