Any unique weakness of Hundy compared to other Toyota V8 trucks and more (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And I like the hydro-electric brake booster. Incredible braking power and great ATRAC, works even if the engine dies.

I agree, it works fantastic when it's working and I'm sure ATRAC is the primary reason it exists. Having your brakes suddenly fail without fair warning is a high price to pay, IMO.

I think that there is a bit of a flaw in the logic that the sole reason for the electric brake booster is for ATRAC…

The 1998-1999 models also have the electric booster, but no ATRAC/VSC. (Not to mention if I have no engine, who cares about ATRAC, brakes might be good though.)

On an engineering standpoint, I don’t see anywhere to put the starter that can be as space and accessibility efficient as it is (granted the available technology during the time of the engine design and architecture). Can’t be away from the motor, can’t be on top of the intake manifold, or on the bell housing of the transmission (top or bottom) as it turns the flywheel to rotate the crankshaft. That’s one, I’ll be back for more lol.
My guess is Toyota designed this v8 for the land cruiser, knowing this land cruiser would be going into water if used properly, it would be smart to keep such a vital, high amperage component as high up away from water as possible. Only reason I can think of them mounting it in the V

My guess is Toyota designed this v8 for the land cruiser, knowing this land cruiser would be going into water if used properly, it would be smart to keep such a vital, high amperage component as high up away from water as possible. Only reason I can think of them mounting it in the V

I think the flaw in the logic of, starter location being motivated by “being designed for a Land Cruiser” is:

Isn’t the 2UZ-FE just the “truck version” of the 1UZ-FE, that was designed for the Lexus LS400, and isn’t the 1UZ-FE starter in the same location?

So non of these are really that big of an issue Imho. I cant believe no one said the secondary air pumps in the 2004+ LC/LX. Those are also a problem.. probably more so b/c of all the codes it will throw if they go bad. And it a emissions item so your car cannot get registered if it does not clear that code. And all that just to get the Catalytic converter heated up faster. Thats idiotic if you ask me.

I cant believe no one said the secondary air pumps in the 2004+ LC/LX.
Isn't that just for the '06-07 VVTi models?

Reactions: GTV
So non of these are really that big of an issue Imho. I cant believe no one said the secondary air pumps in the 2004+ LC/LX. Those are also a problem.. probably more so b/c of all the codes it will throw if they go bad. And it a emissions item so your car cannot get registered if it does not clear that code. And all that just to get the Catalytic converter heated up faster. Thats idiotic if you ask me.

SAIS = Secondary Air Injection System. The bypass kit is cheap, easy and it works. Not a big deal, IMO. Getting headers for a VVTi engine isn't easy though as I think(?) the earlier headers won't fit even if SAIS has been eliminated (corrections welcome).

Isn't that just for the '06-07 VVTi models?

Correct... But it was also on the 4Runner, GX470, Tundra and Sequoia from 05-09.

Last edited:
In that case, they forgot about the alternator.

They designed this V8 for the LS400. packaging plays a greater role in sedans. in the 100 it could have probably been mounted easily outside of the V. However, in the LS400, a longitudinally unibody mount, the starter location in the Vee is literally easier to change than anywhere else. The starter location has a multitude of benefits besides keeping away from water. Toyota felt confident enough in the design of their starter that mounting in the Vee wouldn't be a nuisance. These starters last 100k+ miles easily. Replace it with bottom of the shelf parts and yes, the location becomes a nuisance.

Last edited:
Great to know that the Toyotas made in Japan hold up better against rust than US made ones :D

I do a lot of water crossings and I think the starter location is good.

My only complaint is with the door lock actuators.

The don’t. At all. The only US made Toyota’s known for heavy rust issues are certain years Tacoma. All Toyota and Lexus rust about the same. It’s a sad reality.
Thanks for the correction :D . Relatively speaking, what brand(s) of cars hold up better in regions that use salt in winter? Or are all cars about the same? (I heard F150 uses aluminum for body, but the frame probably still rusts.)

Thanks for the correction :D . Relatively speaking, what brand(s) of cars hold up better in regions that use salt in winter? Or are all cars about the same? (I heard F150 uses aluminum for body, but the frame probably still rusts.)
Teslas seem to resist the salted roads pretty well...

So I tend to agree.. IMHO which brand of cars don't have rust issues if you are in the Rust belt? I mean iron/steel is the same thing. Unless you are saying some manufacturers take extra care of rust proofing their frames. Toyota's get a bad rap because well we drive them on average a longer amount of time than others. Toyota engines are not the first point of failure...hence other points of failure show up a lot more often....

BTW my I was driving with my Father in law who lives up in North (Canada)...He said in a statement "Cars are designed for 15-20 year lifespan - after which you have to change them". Living in the South, I disagreed with him saying "in the South your cars can last you as long as you want. Take good care of them in terms of maintenance and they will last forever" which is very true IMHO for Southern/Western cars. To be more specific I should say their car frames should last forever....Mechanical parts do ware down but those can be replaced as a normal maintenance item.. and yes eventually it will become cost prohibitive to maintain, but the theory is still sound.. you can keep your cars forever if you need to down South/West.

In that case, they forgot about the alternator.

I would say yeah they forgot but the alternator and the starter is not to far apart in terms of height.. if I have to guess at max they are maybe 9in apart in height.. Toyota engineers could have swapped the location of the Power Steering Pump with the Alternator and then both the starter and alternator may be very close in height.. but I think we may be overthinking this... :)

Great to know that the Toyotas made in Japan hold up better against rust than US made ones :D
? There are multiple high mileage tacomas, sequoias and tundras out there.
It comes down to maintenance and environment.
Perhaps you meant good to know the land cruiser is designed to be and is a more solid vehicle made in Japan for global export?

I do a lot of water crossings and I think the starter location is good.

My only complaint is with the door lock actuators.
If you’re getting your door lock actuators wet in water crossings, you’re a braver man than me! 😁

On my 04 T4R (Limited 4x4 V8), I discovered a wonderful “trick” at my local Toyota dealership. They have/had a “lifetime warranty” on certain repairs…
Once I’d paid their ridiculous price for an actuator replacement for all 4 doors of the 4Runner, they’d replace any further bad actuators for free 🤣. Sure the motor replacements are cheaper, but “free” with no labor charge was kinda fun…. “Change the oil, and replace which door lock actuator Mr jLB?”

If you’re getting your door lock actuators wet in water crossings, you’re a braver man than me! 😁

On my 04 T4R (Limited 4x4 V8), I discovered a wonderful “trick” at my local Toyota dealership. They have/had a “lifetime warranty” on certain repairs…
Once I’d paid their ridiculous price for an actuator replacement for all 4 doors of the 4Runner, they’d replace any further bad actuators for free 🤣. Sure the motor replacements are cheaper, but “free” with no labor charge was kinda fun…. “Change the oil, and replace which door lock actuator Mr jLB?”
Great idea! The actuators were bad before I started water crossings. I've not experienced any water in the cabin due to the well-designed door seals.

? There are multiple high mileage tacomas, sequoias and tundras out there.
It comes down to maintenance and environment.
Perhaps you meant good to know the land cruiser is designed to be and is a more solid vehicle made in Japan for global export?
It seems most Toyotas that allegedly had rust issues are made outside of Japan. I needed a reliable V8 so started looking into Sequoia and Tundra but ended up buying a Hundy even though I had to go over budget 😅 Was just expressing that I'm glad I made a good choice, my truck has no rust so far. Sorry for any confusion. Indeed, where the truck is kept, whether it's driven after snow and whether antirust-spray is applied are more important factors when it comes to rust proofing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom