Correct Fuel Pump for 03/1970 F155? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1970 fj40 with the early F155 engine. Replacing the fuel pump because engine was cutting out at ~55 mph. In-line pressure gauge showed ~5 psi at idle and would drop down to almost 0 in 3rd gear at 55mph.

New fuel pump looks identical to the old but doesn't go into the block far enough to bolt in. The small spring on the old pump was broken (two pieces laying inside the arm) and I'm assuming the spring on the new one is keeping it from going in. According to Spectre, 58'-73' are all the same. Cruiser Corps sells a simpler-looking pump (smaller and no screws showing) and also says that it fits 58'-73'. Other sites I have seen state 72'-77' on their fuel pumps. Was there a change in 1971? Seems to me if the bolt holes were lower in the block it would fit perfectly.

Do I need a different fuel pump? Turn the engine to find it on a "sweet spot"? Can I take out the spring without it affecting performance? Or is that why I was getting low pressure? Anyone know what pressure it is supposed to be at idle/under load?

fuelpump2.jpg

fuelpump.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a 23100-61011 (it superseded any previous number & years) from my local stealership for our 70 f155. The mounting flange is 3/4" thick if that helps. The arm rides a lobe on the crank/cam so you may have to push hard to get the mounting bolt to thread or try rotating the crank as you have stated.

Last edited:
1970 fj40 with the early F155 engine. Replacing the fuel pump because engine was cutting out at ~55 mph. In-line pressure gauge showed ~5 psi at idle and would drop down to almost 0 in 3rd gear at 55mph.

New fuel pump looks identical to the old but doesn't go into the block far enough to bolt in. The small spring on the old pump was broken (two pieces laying inside the arm) and I'm assuming the spring on the new one is keeping it from going in. According to Spectre, 58'-73' are all the same. Cruiser Corps sells a simpler-looking pump (smaller and no screws showing) and also says that it fits 58'-73'. Other sites I have seen state 72'-77' on their fuel pumps. Was there a change in 1971? Seems to me if the bolt holes were lower in the block it would fit perfectly.

Do I need a different fuel pump? Turn the engine to find it on a "sweet spot"? Can I take out the spring without it affecting performance? Or is that why I was getting low pressure? Anyone know what pressure it is supposed to be at idle/under load?

View attachment 2929890

View attachment 2929891

this is your correct PUMP

DO NOT take the spring out

the new pump in your photos above is a CHINA CLONE ...........fyi :confused:

the arm rides on the cam
you could rotate the engine over a little to rotate the high spot on the cam
or
just use the bolts to install and compress the spring

Okay, that helps. Wish I would have thought about rotating the cam while I was installing. I know mine is a chinese knock-off. Is it worth going for a NOS fuel pump? I figured by now they should be pretty close to the same quality.

Good to know I have the right pump, though. Can't wait to get it to fit; that spring just seems like it is sitting to high to clear the hole in the block.

Anyone have fuel pressure numbers on these pumps? Trying to figure out if I'll be fine with hose clamps on a rubber line or the compression fittings are necessary.

From my experience, the knock-offs are not nearly the same quality or tolerances. Keep in mind the original Toyo pump lasted 52 years (?). I have had to replace everything on our other Toyo's back to OEM because aftermarket failed-I was hoping to save a buck and ended up costing more in the long run. But of course there are always exceptions.

I am still curious what caused Kyosan Denki to have such a sudden, dramatic price increase, as well as why they dropped production of the pre-73 FP.
All of us vendors didn’t realize how good we had it until the old business model was gone. But at least the 61011 is still available.

And at the risk of letting you know how much I’ve fallen behind the times, this thread is the first I’ve heard of a Chinese knockoff fuel pump.

Last edited:
Little bit of a headscratcher here. Fuel pump will not fit - the spring hits the block before the bolt holes line up. Tried rotating engine and could not get it to fit. Before sending the knock-off fuel pump back, I wanted to make sure there is nothing else that I could be missing. Anyone happen to have a solid picture of the OEM fuel pump with a spring attached?

Notice in picture 1 how the spring straddles the gasket when the bolt holes are lined up with the pump.

fuelpumpwrong1.jpg

fuelpumpwrong.jpg

fuelpumpwrong2.jpg

My spare. Early 2F block.
Ain't there a block of some sort that goes under some fuel pumps to make them work right?

20220222_114435.jpg

20220222_114814.jpg

20220222_114821.jpg

Your spring has a steeper angle for sure. If mine had the steep angle, it would fit in my block. A spacer wouldn't allow the arm to ride on the cam, right?

@Pighead the spacer is for the later 3 hose fuel pump late 1979+2F's
using the spacer on an early pump wouldn't pump fuel
not using a spacer on a later pump breaks the arm

Little bit of a headscratcher here. Fuel pump will not fit - the spring hits the block before the bolt holes line up. Tried rotating engine and could not get it to fit. Before sending the knock-off fuel pump back, I wanted to make sure there is nothing else that I could be missing. Anyone happen to have a solid picture of the OEM fuel pump with a spring attached?

Notice in picture 1 how the spring straddles the gasket when the bolt holes are lined up with the pump.

View attachment 2933693

View attachment 2933694

View attachment 2933695

the EXACT special length mounting BOLTS are required here

they need to be just long enough to start threading , prior to the spring and arm resistance values your experiencing

take note i include NEW OEM mounting bolts with ALL my pumps i offer , there is a fundamental install reason for this above all else ...

if you need the correct length OEM 2 mounting bolts ?

PM me now tonight

i will be happy to send you a set in the mail at no cost involved in any way to be clear

i see you struggling a bit and that is
NOT KOOL ...... :confused:

this should be a relaxing hobby time for u and not Fighting a WWii GERMAN TIGER TANK install head ache ?

i feel that without even seeing them you have too short bolts not pre grabbing like a outline above in detail

i would like to assist you here in anyway i can

study my TECH images below take note how far exactly the threads project beyond the flange in particular

if u have even 3 Threads your gonna run into the spring pressure resistance in that arm

i have learned this tech savvy OEM FSM focus point approach after many years and many many dozen F and 2 F KYOSAN mechanical pumps install struggle NO MORE ..

the bolts correct oem ones i have going on WILL SET You up for success bottom line :):beer:

PM me

matt

1A8EA727-0289-4DF0-9255-59F7CD67F197.jpeg
0AA66E63-7D1C-4A84-B331-040337D640D9.jpeg
27DA0CF3-079A-4390-AA3C-C4F4FCCCC914.jpeg
48794039-ED37-4DC1-9924-4F954F22C597.jpeg
197A4F9E-7575-4806-B321-E47CD0248D74.jpeg
3379F3BC-DA11-4743-A97C-D08ACA6D8BBF.jpeg

Thank you for the reply. I do have the long OEM bolts. If you refer to the last pictures I posted, you'll notice that the small spring on my current pump shoots straight out; whereas the one in your pictures angles down to connect to the pump arm. Sucking in the pump with the bolts will (I believe) only press the spring into the top of the hole on the block and break the spring as soon as I turn the truck on.

I see the angle 📐 difference topic ?

I don’t have a OEM answer here ….

I’ll ponder it and see what comes to mind

It does look like on your pump it’s in its intended position though ?

But I’m not 💯 % here I have not come Accross this topic ever ?

Matt

this thread is the first I’ve heard of a Chinese knockoff fuel pump.

notice that the small spring on my current pump shoots straight out; whereas the one in your pictures angles down to connect to the pump arm. Sucking in the pump with the bolts will (I believe) only press the spring into the top of the hole on the block and break the spring as soon as I turn the truck on.

maybe the issue is what Mark stated above, not being an OEM pump

Seems to be. Lesson learned, I guess. Hopefully this thread serves a good caution to someone else in the future.

Thanks all.

Seems to be. Lesson learned, I guess. Hopefully this thread serves a good caution to someone else in the future.

Thanks all.
Helpful thread! I’m curious if you ever got your OEM pump and did that improve the fitment? If so, where did you buy the pump?

Reading thru this thread I never seen mentioned any restriction from the tank to where online gauge could cause a pressure drop under load. Not saying that was the problem just something I would be checking before replacing a fuel filter. First part I would change would be the fuel filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom