Saving a ‘79 Fj40 in Ontario, Canada (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you just got your materials engineering degree, you’ll have a masters degree by the time this is finished! Remember it’s a marathon not a sprint. I like your progress so far.

If you just got your materials engineering degree, you’ll have a masters degree by the time this is finished! Remember it’s a marathon not a sprint. I like your progress so far.
Thanks @Slapshot ! Yeah definitely a marathon with a few especially steep hills. But I’m a fan of running in this case :) more progress lately. I’ll be sure to post soon!

To those interested in following my build, I haven't updated in a long time and have been meaning to post pictures. I've gotten far since the last update and wanted to show it off! Since posting last, I've fitted my fabricated frame rails and bolted the frame back together. A good 3B + H55 has been purchased with the mounts all put into the right place (lots of test fitting).
Almost all of the rivets in the frame have been replaced with new grade 8 hardware because I had to take it all apart for repairs.
The whole frame is dual-coated powder coat with primer in the frame rails before fitting! A bit obsessive, but I am avoiding rust as much as humanly possible.
I've powder coated the rear axle and am getting a new axle housing for the front with shiny chrome ball joints. Will update again when the axles are on and engine is in.

At this point, I've been sending lots our for yellow zinc plating and working on the front axle complete rebuild. Body panel purchasing will be soon so I can eliminate any rust in the seams. Thanks again for the support from everyone! If you're an Ontario cruiser owner, please reach out. I'm always looking to meet others with the same obsession and any advice is very welcome along with trading for / buying parts. Especially welcome is advice on how to do my rear disk brake conversion with parking brake. Cheers!
-Emil

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

I've got a sandblasted and perfect (zero rot) windshield frame and some excellent sandblasted fenders if you are looking for clean parts.

Also have repaired doors and a very good hood. Everything but the hood is sandblasted so nothing to hide. Surface rust from sitting fornthe last 4 years, but solid parts.

Project is sold and all the left over parts will be going on kijiji before the weekend.

Parts are in Etobicoke.

Cheers
Adam

Also have repaired doors and a very good hood. Everything but the hood is sandblasted so nothing to hide. Surface rust from sitting fornthe last 4 years, but solid parts.

Project is sold and all the left over parts will be going on kijiji before the weekend.

Parts are in Etobicoke.

Cheers
Adam
Thats really good to know. I have a clean windshield frame but its RHD. I will buy yours if the price is reasonable. I'll send you a DM. I'll have to take a closer look at my doors but might be interested in those too.
Cheers,
Emil

Thats really good to know. I have a clean windshield frame but its RHD. I will buy yours if the price is reasonable. I'll send you a DM. I'll have to take a closer look at my doors but might be interested in those too.
Cheers,
Emil
wow., you are a very courageous and accomplished craftsman......the body on mine was in bad shape but fortunately the mechanic and frame were in decent shape.
i'm in Moncton .,N.B.

Update on the build! Hand finished knuckles and resurfaced them with sandpaper. Hard chromed to keep dirt & debris out of the birfields for long life. I have set the knuckles with an alignment tool and the differentials are in with backlash and mesh patterns set. New shocks finished it up nicely too :) We're finally getting to a point where I will fit the wheel rotating assemblies and get it rolling!
Stay tuned for more updates soon.

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_1022.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_1049.jpg

To anybody wondering if my project is still happening, yes it is! Since posting last, I've had an interesting chapter in my life start. I went to visit Aqualu in Kelowna, BC and ended up getting a job doing design work with Todd. I've since moved to Kelowna and brought my cruiser with me! It was a long trip with a lot of nailbiting moments, but proved to be all worth it when I got here. I am proud to say I will be fitting an Aqualu body kit on the cruiser in our shop. I'm using my obsession with detail and my want to keep everything very close to stock to improve the aluminum tub design and build.

Since getting here, I've removed the old body and have fitted the new tub with bib, fenders and aprons. I'm scrutinizing it while it's fitted, and I will be making one of my own design with some revisions and alterations to bring it as close as I can to capturing the original details of the landcruiser.
IMG_1472.jpg
IMG_1351.jpg
IMG_1490.jpg
IMG_1522.jpg
IMG_1525.jpg

And the awesome new (to me) 1979 Warn 8274 fitted. And believe it or not, it was made only one month before the truck came off the assembly line.
68843879576__498087E4-E938-41A0-8A82-672C98A4B087.jpg

And once again, showing off the knuckles. I'm very proud of these as they took so much time and effort to get right.
IMG_1843.jpg

Stay tuned for more updates in the next couple months as I build the tub I will be fitting. There is a list of improvements I'm making and details I'm ironing out. I am thinking I'll start a new thread going into lots of details on the Aqualu tubs. I'll point out the things that I have changed and will be looking for comments from others with experience putting Aqualu product on their rigs. Feel free to send me a PM if you have experience with this and some improvements you would like made to the tubs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom