Khamis Mushait FJ45, aka Ms Troopy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well see what you started? Box arrived from Australia with a few NOS parts. Thanks Amir! @FJ40GURU

View attachment 2898953
I don’t blame you… I’ll likely mount some speakers there myself. Although I’d likely use aftermarket ones rather than NOS. That way there’ll be NOS left for restorations. My rig is way to far gone to bring it back to stock.

Well see what you started? Box arrived from Australia with a few NOS parts. Thanks Amir! @FJ40GURU

View attachment 2898953

Those speakers look tempting. Not sure how right side would with the knee freezer installed. I figure with late model door with vent window adding a speaker lower and tweeter up using holes already in the door skin would be the way to. No real mods to the door skin and interior panels are cheap. Without the vent window have more clearance issue as far as depth. Have that problem on my FJ62. Interior panels are not cheap and easy to find which why I'm leary to modify the stock panels.

Those speakers look tempting. Not sure how right side would with the knee freezer installed. I figure with late model door with vent window adding a speaker lower and tweeter up using holes already in the door skin would be the way to. No real mods to the door skin and interior panels are cheap. Without the vent window have more clearance issue as far as depth. Have that problem on my FJ62. Interior panels are not cheap and easy to find which why I'm leary to modify the stock panels.
Those are the OEM speakers that came with the troopy. All that's left of the originals though are three broken tabs with the screws on both sides. It is a tight fit on the passenger side with the knee freezer but there is enough room. I bought all new OEM door cards, locks, handles, etc. Unbelievable all that stuff is still available new.

Looks Good Greg, been busy didn't realize you had to go back so soon after Christmas. The seat belts are nice, With the BJ45 I either need to lose weight or order some longer belts. apparently my 6'3" frame and 38 inch waist is right at the limit for those from the Netherlands in 1984...

Thanks for you help with the PIG!

Looks Good Greg, been busy didn't realize you had to go back so soon after Christmas. The seat belts are nice, With the BJ45 I either need to lose weight or order some longer belts. apparently my 6'3" frame and 38 inch waist is right at the limit for those from the Netherlands in 1984...

Thanks for you help with the PIG!
My pleasure. I'm actually heading back home in early February for around 3 weeks or so to attend a wedding. I won't miss traveling for a while after we move home permanently.

So I refurbished my speedometer yesterday. My Saudi Spec 1983 Troopy has an unobtanium "J07" instrument cluster with symbols below the gauges instead of words. I have seen a photo or two of J07 clusters that actually have words below the gauges. It appears that something like 80 to 82 may have had the words and 82 to 84 got the symbols but I haven't really tried to verify that.

Anyway my fuel gauge wasn't working and the cluster was full of dust so I started looking for parts. Most if not all of the gauges are available as is the circuit board (which I bought) but very little else. I did do enough research though to figure out that a still available "J01" cluster had the same part numbers for everything except the speedometer (different face plate and 5 digit odo instead of 6, or 6 vs 7 if you count the 1/10 counter) and the faceplate (or whatever you call the plate with the symbols or words below the gauges - Toyota calls it a "cover" but they also call the cluster cover a "cover"). That cluster can be had for a bit over $200 and I figured for that price you can't even buy the gauges, much less the housing, circuit board, etc. So I ordered one and my grand scheme was hatched.

Interesting that the J07 instrument cluster part number isn't recognized by any of the data bases that I searched. Also the parts diagrams shows part numbers for all the pieces but nothing for the entire cluster. It's actually the same number as the J01 cluster I bought except there is a 1 instead of a 0 as the last number (83100-60181 vs 83100-60180).

So long story short, I tore them both down and proceeded to clean and change parts. My original plan was to clean up and swap the old entire speedometer gauge into the new housing but then I noticed that everything was exactly the same except for the odometer cylinder. In fact the odometer cradle and driver mechanisms are exactly the same. So then I decided to remove and clean the odometer (boy did it need it) and to install just the odometer and faceplate into the new speedometer. The factory put grease on the odometer shaft which had turned to hard wax. After much research and experimenting I put it back together dry. Seems to be working fine and I see no reason for any lubricant as the cylinders spin with little if any friction.

So thankfully that all worked out and in addition I now have a working fuel gauge. It appears the oil pressure and engine temp aren't working and to be honest I can't recall if they were working before. Nothing I'm in a hurry to solve and hopefully those are just wiring or sending units.

Very happy this all worked out though.

6816DEFB-B136-4EE3-82B9-CED5801F0DE8.jpeg

E4220004-49B6-49C7-8EAB-17902950D735.jpeg

38845C79-DEAC-4C38-B83B-580F99C0403C.jpeg

97E140BF-FD29-4CF0-BBB7-8062AD97875A.jpeg

2F1990E1-D683-4455-9D37-D01922FB1060.jpeg

Last edited:
If anyone needs this J01 speedometer faceplate or the gauge faceplate, just let me know. It’s yours for the postage. They are brand new and I will never use them.

83093DEB-F737-4041-A52D-14D86BE0AD1A.jpeg

4A10DD65-3D80-400F-84C4-79B759E5FAF3.jpeg

Interesting I have a 3/82 instrument cluster. It has both the words and symbols. This one originally from Florida. Surface rust is pretty bad. Have a second one from 82 some where. That one is in better condition but not sure what the gauges have. Words, symbols or both. Would have to look again for the shape of turn signal indicators. Would be all over your speedometer face except it's in Km/H not MPH. Will get second in line for the overall cluster face.

Last edited:
Interesting I have a 3/82 instrument cluster. It has both the words and symbols. This one originally from Florida. Surface rust is pretty bad. Have a second one from 82 some where. That one is in better condition but not sure what the gauges have. Words, symbols or both. Would have to look again for the shape of turn signal indicators. Would be all over your speedometer face except it's in Km/H not MPH. Will get second in line for the overall cluster face.
Greg just took a look at mine which is also the J07 and everything actually looks good. I thought it was in worse shape. @Living in the Past they are yours,

Had an absolutely incredible day yesterday. There is a gentlemen a few hours north of Riyadh that is by far the biggest Land Cruiser enthusiast I have ever met. He has some incredible unrestored 40s as well as a plethora of restored models through the 60 series. I went there to pick up some seat covers that he had made for my Troopy but was invited "for the afternoon" which turned into a late camel kabsa meal in the desert with him and 3 of his sons. What an incredible host!

I think the seat covers are as close to OEM as you are ever going to get. Full set front and back.

04086E81-C7B5-4C04-BC68-8ED94652C2FF.jpeg

EDDDFB10-BD1C-46D0-9CCB-55E4F4674C72.jpeg

A few additional photos. That Troopy is incredible. It's sold and headed to some lucky person in Texas. It went through a German friend of my host so he doesn't know any further details other than the new owner lives in Texas. Between what he has at his house, what is in the shop and what is waiting on its turn, he has around 50 Land Cruisers: 40s, 43s, 45s, 55s, and 60s.

A4609511-23C9-47A2-8D12-9924E07AF1A2.jpeg

03ECAC83-0E8F-4626-9C0E-8BBE603FDCBD.jpeg

9A14AE64-2754-43F6-A91B-047C8B9D5556.jpeg

48E2B1F8-0AED-490D-AE88-2175152EC6EA.jpeg

FC56EAA6-2605-4FD4-B75C-7221D8268CBB.jpeg

Last edited:
Spent a bit more time examining these covers and I am not sure that Toyota delivered them any better. Also realized the photo above in the Troopy shows the bottom and top swapped. Had to go do another "test fit".

BE12E3D1-5F5B-49FA-A052-69D8446D3F7E.jpeg

3B923628-5B4F-402B-A44A-8FAA82695302.jpeg

C34EC923-1229-4CAD-B033-90F074270BD6.jpeg

86F9073D-07A0-48DC-AFC5-65C76B8B2919.jpeg

So there are no separate part numbers that I can find for the foam in a US or a Saudi spec 40/45. They just list the bottom and top cushion numbers which includes the covers. I would be up for some SOR or other foam for at least the driver's side if I had an idea that it would fit correctly. Obviously there wouldn't be a US equivalent for the passenger side. Not sure if a RHD configuration (e.g. Australia) would work either as I don't know if the individual seat cushions are handed. My cushions are not terrible but it would be nice to completely replace 40 yo foam and I would rather buy a quality product than have someone build something. Guessing it will have to be the build route though.

Last edited:
That was an incredible day indeed! His “shop” looks like a mini dealership. The trip to the desert looks like fun as well!

That was an incredible day indeed! His “shop” looks like a mini dealership. The trip to the desert looks like fun as well!
Indeed. That's not his shop. That's an out building at his house. The shop is elsewhere. Oddly enough he used to be a car dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom