What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (74 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So is this something that you will do once in a lifetime kind of thing?

I’m no pro, but I have most of the right tools for the job. Took me about 4 hours to tear down the first one and get it cleaned up enough that I could reassemble if looks didn’t matter. Second one took just a little more than an hour to tear down.

Now, I’m in the deep cleaning phase, because I’m going to paint everything and make it look new before I reassemble it.

Here’s my timeline.
Day 1: An evening of learning and wallowing in grease as I tear down the first one.
Day 2: go to the store for more rubber cloves, paper towels and a gallon size tub of grease…. Tear down the second side with remarkable ease, now that I know how it’s done. Clean, clean, clean. Mask and paint.
Day 3: assembly and celebration (hopefully. Ask me tomorrow)
I’ve done two or three rebuilds. The last one was much quicker. It started with a good soak of engine degreaser l. Then hit it hard with a pressure washer. Did my best to get the majority of the grease off using the water. Then scraped and picked the as much grease as I could off before disassembly.

I also painted the knuckles with several coats of rustoleum to make life easier for the wipers.

It’s a full filing process. Especially when you get good at the birfield snap ring and knocking the cone washers out.

This week I finally got to use the LandCruiser for its intended purpose: I went on a 6 day hog hunting/camping trip with my Dad and Brother. We did some spectacular missing, but practice makes perfect I suppose. The 40 got to traverse plowed fields in a river bottom, a sandy coastal field, and some gnarly overgrown trails up the side of a small mountain/rock. We left with empty coolers but some great memories, and some new Tennessee Pin-Stripes down the side of the 40 :). I didn't have the foresight to get enough pictures, I was having too much fun! But here are a few of the campsite:

Camp.jpg

JavaMonkey.jpg

FJ40Camping.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom