New to the forum (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

New to the forum. I acquired a 1976 FJ40 a few months ago after years of searching. I am a long time Toyota enthusiast. I always wanted an FJ40 but was either unable to find one in decent condition or within my budget. My father I rebuilt several Toyota trucks years ago and always loved the dependability and simplicity of the brand. I have been visiting the sight for a while now. I am impressed with the amount information and resources shared.

Thank you
Brody

Papa Smurf.jpg

Hello,

New to the forum. I acquired a 1976 FJ40 a few months ago after years of searching. I am a long time Toyota enthusiast. I always wanted an FJ40 but was either unable to find one in decent condition or within my budget. My father I rebuilt several Toyota trucks years ago and always loved the dependability and simplicity of the brand. I have been visiting the sight for a while now. I am impressed with the amount information and resources shared.

Thank you
Brody

View attachment 2905304
You have a great looking 40 Brody. Whats it got for a heart?

Great looking 40. Let's see more pictures!

What's the backstory/history?
I recently purchased it from a young man south of Nashville TN. That photo was taken at a gas stop on the way home. Other than a few minor repairs such as replacing the dimmer/turn signal switch, cigarette lighter, and brake light switch, she was in pristine condition. The man I purchased it from had only had it a short time and was moving. He said that the man he had bought in from had replaced all the suspension and had installed new wheels and tires. She is a bit cold natured but when it warms up, it runs like a top. I think replacing the carb could help with cold starts. I will try to upload some more photos when I have time.

Don’t rush to judgement on the carburetor. Put a vacuum gauge and a timing light on it and establish a baseline. Then do a valve adjustment and recheck. Carburetors are vacuum sensitive, and valves that are out of adjustment often drop the vacuum below what the carb needs to function properly.

Don’t rush to judgement on the carburetor. Put a vacuum gauge and a timing light on it and establish a baseline. Then do a valve adjustment and recheck. Carburetors are vacuum sensitive, and valves that are out of adjustment often drop the vacuum below what the carb needs to function properly.
@Brody1973 that's great info from one of the best sources here on Mud.

Nice looking 40 you have there.
Welcome to the group and the adventure.

Thank you for the advice.

Looks good.
Appears to have some earlier sheet metal on it.
From what I can tell, it has pre 1974 doors and maybe even top. I considered finding the correct doors but I really like the earlier doors. It has the blank for the tailgate. I am in the process of fabricating some half ambulance doors as it has the lift up gate for the top. I am still in the process of figuring out what creative restoration has been done to the sheet metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom