1FZFE spark plug reading (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All
Anyone know what my spark plugs are trying to tell me? I’ve had 2 different opinions from to knowledgeable sources. One says to hot and the other says cheap gas

Removed from 1FZFE after purchasing from original owner. I didn’t see any tune up service records on Toyota database. I seen oil change etc but the service records start around 200x truck currently has 348k

3A08461E-421C-47C6-8FC2-0DD113A2A2EC.jpeg

90FDF287-EE9C-4989-9F84-06B80F320DE4.jpeg

C3FDCC8A-3F82-4EE4-9B7F-D1CF91AF51D0.jpeg

EDIT
Both my sources are GM and Ford Guys, one says Too lean and too hot, the other says cheap gas from Previouse owner and extended use , looking for some 80 series owner input, thanks!

Too lean

white residue can also be seafoam cleaner, ect. What year? If OBD2 then you should be getting a code. If not check your intake boot for cracks.

Considering you have the correct plug in the motor, it's running lean.

That white can be from an incorrect heat range plug, but that's not the case.

I would monitor fuel pressure to verify that the fuel system is on par.

Beyond that if it's not something like a vacuum leak causing a leak condition, I'm out of ideas.

Considering you have the correct plug in the motor, it's running lean.

That white can be from an incorrect heat range plug, but that's not the case.

I would monitor fuel pressure to verify that the fuel system is on par.

Beyond that if it's not something like a vacuum leak causing a leak condition, I'm out of ideas.
Thank you
Should I get my injectors replaced or repaired, or try replacing the fuel filter and check the PSI

Thank you
Should I get my injectors replaced or repaired, or try replacing the fuel filter and check the PSI
every plug shows lean, not an injector issue. Replace your fuel filter if it has not been done recently. If the truck sat for a long time, check for rust in the fuel tank. I had a 93 that had a lean condition after driving for more than 20 mins. There was about 5lbs of rust chunks in the fuel tank that would clog the pickup screen.

Aside from that, check for intake tube leaks. Generally you will have terrible idle issues if you have a vacuum leak severe enough to cause a lean condition. If both of those check out ok, fuel pump, resistor, fuel pressure regulator, maf and 1st 02 sensor could be the problem.

Thank you
I agree with Dusten.

They can also be hot because the gap is huge and they are worn out.

I ran 100K miles on mine and they were not worn that much.

It's possible those are original plugs.
I would replace plugs, wires,cap, rotor, the check again in about 10K.

Does your truck burn any oil that you have noticed? The white can also be oil ash.

The little portion of your radiator in the photo would encourage me to take a closer look at it. You may have more important issues than your spark plugs. The radiator looks original and in the photo it looks like some discoloration has happened. Post some photos of that and maybe the heater control valve on the firewall.

I agree with Dusten.

They can also be hot because the gap is huge and they are worn out.

I ran 100K miles on mine and they were not worn that much.

It's possible those are original plugs.
I would replace plugs, wires,cap, rotor, the check again in about 10K.

Does your truck burn any oil that you have noticed? The white can also be oil ash.
Online service records go back to 185,000 and no record of a tune up.
I replaced the plugs, rotor, cap and wires. When I changed the plugs

Can’t tell if it’s burning oil test, all my seals are shot and leaking, except the distributor and valve cover which I changed last week. 😎. Changing more seals soon

The little portion of your radiator in the photo would encourage me to take a closer look at it. You may have more important issues than your spark plugs. The radiator looks original and in the photo it looks like some discoloration has happened. Post some photos of that and maybe the heater control valve on the firewall.
The radiator was actually priority over this, it’s leaking. I wanted to take care of the distributor O-Ring valve cover before moving down to the Radiator. I’ll be doing the oil pump o ring / crank shaft seal/ oil level sensor and water pump when I do the radiator and thermo and thermo O rings

This is Bettty my 97 fzj
I might have to start a dedicated build thread on her

Another question I have is can I change the pasky heater hose if I have the upper intake off? I want to hot tank the upper intake and possibly the lower intake if it’s not a major hassle . Then replace the fuel filter/PHH/Coolant Bypass hose all together

F9D34CCB-BADE-464B-973E-02992475BAC1.jpeg

This is Bettty my 97 fzj

Another question I have is can I change the pasky heater hose if I have the upper intake off? I want to hot tank the upper intake and possibly the lower intake if it’s not a major hassle . Then replace the fuel filter/PHH/Coolant Bypass hose all together

View attachment 2863583
Yep. It’ll probably be much easier.

This is Bettty my 97 fzj

View attachment 2863583
Yes, that's definitely the time to do all that. Don't forget all vacuum hoses as well!

Singer Sewing Machine smooth - 44k miles. The only reason I changed them was PM. No CEL. No 26 or Lean Codes.

1st image is a close up of what Cylinders 1 thru 4 look like. Powdered Donut crystalline white.

2nd Image is what Cylinders 5 & 6 look like, Pretty much Tan to White on the OK side of lean.

Am I looking at insanely lean on Cylinders 1 thru 4 or something else????

Resized_20220120_104050.jpeg

Resized_20220120_104116.jpeg

Resized_Resized_20220120_102527.jpeg

Singer Sewing Machine smooth - 44k miles. The only reason I changed them was PM. No CEL. No 26 or Lean Codes.

1st image is a close up of what Cylinders 1 thru 4 look like. Powdered Donut crystalline white.

2nd Image is what Cylinders 5 & 6 look like, Pretty much Tan to White on the OK side of lean.

Am I looking at insanely lean on Cylinders 1 thru 4 or something else????

View attachment 2903581

View attachment 2903582

View attachment 29035831-4 look like mine did, some said it was too lean others said bad/cheap gas. The PO would let vehicle sit for 4-6 month and not drive it much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom