Fed Up with the Nonsense LX570 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have the valley plate leak and yeah its semi common. My techs at work know all about them and confirm its semi common.

OP I get the pain but thats part of the use car market especially when you dealing with a low production number car. Lexus sells about 3000 units a year which means parts are limited and for that more expensive. Hope it all works out

I have the valley plate leak and yeah its semi common. My techs at work know all about them and confirm its semi common.

OP I get the pain but thats part of the use car market especially when you dealing with a low production number car. Lexus sells about 3000 units a year which means parts are limited and for that more expensive. Hope it all works out
Thanks for checking about that.

Alright, I’m new to the 200 Series, more inclusively, the LX570. I purchased this vehicle with 130K miles. The vehicle revealed the common failures (with estimate) that all of these face:

1. ML Amplifier Failure - $2,000
2. Heat Exchange/Valley Plate Leak -$1,200
3. Timing & Valve Cover Leaks - $2,400

Tell me if I’m wrong, but every Toyota/Lexus 5.7 owner has experienced at least one of these engine issues, and quite a few LX570 owners have experienced the amp failure. Since these are said to be common failure items and I’ve also experienced them personally, I decided to call Lexus Corporate for reimbursement. The case manager and supervisor had nothing to offer and basically told me tough luck.

So I think Toyota/Lexus needs to know from the rest of us. If you’ve experienced the failure of common items on both Toyota/Lexus 200 series, please voice it here and call corporate to start a case. It will take everyone who’s experienced an issue calling in and voicing it, which will help all of us in the long-run. Either the repairs will be free, recalled or reimbursed. If you think I’m wrong, ooh well, but a vehicle with less than 150K shouldn’t have these issues, especially considering Toyota/Lexus fixed them in later models.
I had exact same issues happened on my new to me LX.
Yes, I brought it from a local Lexus dealer hoping that I get a decent vehicle... I was pleasantly wrong and they won't do crap about it.
AS IS... lesson learned.
LX isn't "bullet proof" and you have to maintain it and sometimes, it can cost a pretty penny.
My tech told me that it was the third Lexus he serviced with exact same issue.

All issues happened within the last 45 days of my ownership.

1. ML Amplifier Failure - Fixed at the dealer prior to sale.
2. Heat Exchange/Valley Plate Leak
3. Timing & Valve Cover Leaks
4. Blue smoke when starting cold - solved by replacing PCV valve
5. Passenger floor leak when raining - solved with new weatherstrip on Cowl
6. Fuel injector leak - Replaced fuel injectors
7. Bad power steering pump and line - replaced w/ new pump and whole line

I guess I paid a heavy entry fee of owning a used car w/ 160K miles on it.
The good side is now it drives like heaven and my wallet feels lighter than ever :rolleyes:

Resized_20211228_101651.JPG

Resized_20211228_104607.JPG

Resized_20211228_105357.JPG

Last edited:
Alright, I’m new to the 200 Series, more inclusively, the LX570. I purchased this vehicle with 130K miles. The vehicle revealed the common failures (with estimate) that all of these face:

1. ML Amplifier Failure - $2,000
2. Heat Exchange/Valley Plate Leak -$1,200
3. Timing & Valve Cover Leaks - $2,400

Tell me if I’m wrong, but every Toyota/Lexus 5.7 owner has experienced at least one of these engine issues, and quite a few LX570 owners have experienced the amp failure. Since these are said to be common failure items and I’ve also experienced them personally, I decided to call Lexus Corporate for reimbursement. The case manager and supervisor had nothing to offer and basically told me tough luck.

So I think Toyota/Lexus needs to know from the rest of us. If you’ve experienced the failure of common items on both Toyota/Lexus 200 series, please voice it here and call corporate to start a case. It will take everyone who’s experienced an issue calling in and voicing it, which will help all of us in the long-run. Either the repairs will be free, recalled or reimbursed. If you think I’m wrong, ooh well, but a vehicle with less than 150K shouldn’t have these issues, especially considering Toyota/Lexus fixed them in later models.

I have a 2013 LC with 123k on it and I have not experienced any of these failures. My only failure has been the radiator, and that was just a hairline crack in the known spot on the top (it didn't actually blow). Oh and the broken cabin recirc door, which does in fact seem to be extremely common.

(Actually in truth I can't quite confirm #3... there is a very small oil leak somewhere on the front of my engine, most likely the timing cover, but the amount of oil over 9 months/6k miles is indiscernible on the dip stick. Valve covers seem fine though.)

Not sure when you purchased your LX but I assume you didn't get an extended warranty on it. That's unfortunate because the amp failure at least would almost surely be covered.

In general the LC/LX and the 5.7 are very reliable and will run hundreds of thousands of miles without major issue. I would expect you to add a starter, radiator, and water pump replacement sometime between now and 200k miles - those are actually the most common repairs I think. In your case if you haven't performed repairs for #2 and #3 I would personally choose to watch them and not do the repair until it's noticeably a problem (i.e. coolant levels drop below E in the reservoir, and/or oil level drops before F on the dipstick) - you might go tens of thousands of miles before they start to become a problem, and if you have other work (like a leaking water pump) you can do them at the same time and save some of the labor

Here is how I look at it. Lets say that you are standing at one end of Big Pine/Death Valley Rd and you have to travel the 60 or so miles to get your family to safety. You have the keys to the following Luxury SUVs that are lined up in front of you:

Infiniti QX80
Range Rover
Lincoln Navigator (or whatever Ford)
Mercedes-Benz G550
Cadillac Escalade (or whatever GM)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Lexus LX570

Each is 10 years old with 130k on the speedo. You don't know anything about their service records. Which do you put your family in and drive away?
Easy choice. A no-brainer. Get Mercedes G550. Drive it for 60 miles over whatever terrain…even if it has no air conditioner or doors won’t lock or rattles or sunroof leaking, it will do 60 miles over any terrain that LX can do. G550 may suffer from issues here and there, but it does not have air/hydraulic suspension that can fail either (unlike other MBs and LX). Just lock the lockerI(s) and you can go over stuff that LX may have trouble with. Even if the lockers fail, it still has traction control. The engine/transmission is proven enough.

After that 60 miles, sell G550 and make $$$$$$$ to buy a lightly used LC and get a knockout mistress on the side with your fancy Armani suit that you just bought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom