2023 Toyota Sequoia - 3rd Generation REVEALED (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here's the first look at the 3rd Gen Toyota Sequoia, straight from the Toyota Newsroom:
Toyota_SUV_Teaser_FULL_1-18-2022.jpg

PLANO, Texas (Jan. 18, 2022) – Something big is coming to the Toyota SUV lineup. A clear picture will come into view soon. Stay tuned.

This should mean we're only a short while away from the official reveal, and some months from a full release. For example, the 2022 Tundra was teased on May 18th, revealed on June 18th, and fully released on September 19th.

Looks promising, and the D-Pillar and overall shape seem to indicate that the rumors of it sharing the platform with the 300 Series Land Cruiser are true. Quite chiseled body lines and distinct luxury details.

Toyota_SUV_Teaser_2-FULL-1-20-2022.jpg

PLANO, Texas (Jan. 20, 2022) – The next generation of Toyota’s full-size SUV is coming. The all-new 2023 Sequoia is about to be unleashed. Tune in to the world premiere next Tuesday, January 25 at 9:30 p.m. EST. Stay up to speed with all the latest at www.toyota.com/allnewsequoia.

1643218714431.png

• All-New Sequoia Builds Upon Three-Row Toyota SUV Heritage
  • Capstone Luxury Grade Leads Full Lineup of Full-Size SUVs
  • Standard Hybrid i-FORCE MAX Powertrain Offers Power, Efficiency
  • i-FORCE MAX: Impressive 437 hp, 583 lb.-ft. of Torque
  • Maximum Towing Capacity of up to 9,000 lbs.
  • Assembled in U.S.A. at Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Texas in San Antonio
  • Available in Summer of 2022
PLANO, Texas (Jan. 25, 2022) – Much like the coastal redwoods after which it is named, the all-new 2023 Sequoia makes an immediate, indelible impression. The three-row SUV is all new from the ground up, and it aims to elevate the full-size segment with luxurious comfort, impressive technology and breath-taking performance from an efficient new hybrid powertrain. More information in the Toyota Newsroom.
1643219464644.png
1643219474201.png
1643219576977.png
1643219483174.png
1643219495624.png
1643219505934.png

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see the packaging and dimensions of it. I bet it will sell very well

VERY similar proportions to new Land Cruiser/LX. Wondering if maybe the new Sequoia will come in regular and XL (similar to Yukon, etc.).

VERY similar proportions to new Land Cruiser/LX. Wondering if maybe the new Sequoia will come in regular and XL (similar to Yukon, etc.).
That would probably be prudent/smart as the only thing keeping the Sequoia down from the Sub or the Yukon XL is the lack of luggage space with rear seats up

If it is the same size as the land cruiser, I don't see why they would do that. The Sequoia should be it's own platform based on the tundra. If they have a Sequoia and Sequoia XL, well it should have been LC and LC XL if it was going to make sense. I'm sure it will look great and I'm definitely interested to see it.

It's not ridiculous to think of Toyota doing what Range Rover has done [as well as Ford with the Bronco nameplate] and release different Land Cruiser sub brands. They already do it in ROW for the GX which is the Land Cruiser Prado and the Land Cruiser 70. Probably a smart idea but for the 'big daddy' you'd want to be real careful if you're Toyota. My thought is that an independent rear suspension a la Sequoia is not gonna fly with the nameplate for the "full fat" Land Cruiser, even in the US.

The Tundra is very similar to the LC300
The LX600 is a LC300 with lipstick
The new Sequoia will have many things in common with the LC300

Funny how it is that all Toyota’s big vehicles are compared to the LC300

If it is the same size as the land cruiser, I don't see why they would do that. The Sequoia should be it's own platform based on the tundra. If they have a Sequoia and Sequoia XL, well it should have been LC and LC XL if it was going to make sense. I'm sure it will look great and I'm definitely interested to see it.
Not really though. The Land Cruiser is really its own animal, its closest rivals being maybe Range Rover [the original full fat one] and perhaps Mercedes Gelandewagen/G class. Both RR and G have gone way Hollywood over their last few iterations and thus while still very capable of doing the dirty work, they almost need to be reconfigured now to do it [even though they have a lot of capability out of the box].

The Yukon/Suburban/Expedition etc family is not trying to be off road trail blazing rigs. Neither is Sequoia. Sequoia is squarely in family hauler territory as far as I'm concerned, and happens to have some decent capabilities and a low range if you want to play with it. Mucking up the LC to try to be a Suburban is the last thing you'd want to soil that nameplate.

I remember reading somewhere that 300 frame is frame for Tundra and Sequoia. The V6 turbo will be in all 3 along with transmission. I would assume brakes would be close to same with Tundra probably having largest based on tow rating. That just leaves axles, transfer case, and suspension being somewhat unique. Platform sharing reduces cost across the board is my guess. Never could figure out why Toyota sold Hilux to rest of world and Tacoma to us but even those are getting closer in platform sharing from some stuff I remember reading.

Not really though. The Land Cruiser is really its own animal, its closest rivals being maybe Range Rover [the original full fat one] and perhaps Mercedes Gelandewagen/G class. Both RR and G have gone way Hollywood over their last few iterations and thus while still very capable of doing the dirty work, they almost need to be reconfigured now to do it [even though they have a lot of capability out of the box].

The Yukon/Suburban/Expedition etc family is not trying to be off road trail blazing rigs. Neither is Sequoia. Sequoia is squarely in family hauler territory as far as I'm concerned, and happens to have some decent capabilities and a low range if you want to play with it. Mucking up the LC to try to be a Suburban is the last thing you'd want to soil that nameplate.
Oh for sure, but I'm just saying as far as size goes, it doesn't make sense to make the Sequoia smaller. We have the 4runner for that. The Sequoia should stay bigger and be based off the Tundra like it always has been and not downsized like it appears to be from the photos.

If I had the coin I'd buy a heritage edition and throw it in a warehouse!

If I had the coin I'd buy a heritage edition and throw it in a warehouse!
I'd buy one, enjoy but not abuse it, and still know I can sell it for a mint at some point in future. You can't even buy the unique wheels for it unless you own one; they are vin locked. I tried to get them for the Sequoia even though they are the same wheels in a different finish and the dealer got a big NOPE from Toyota

Oh for sure, but I'm just saying as far as size goes, it doesn't make sense to make the Sequoia smaller. We have the 4runner for that. The Sequoia should stay bigger and be based off the Tundra like it always has been and not downsized like it appears to be from the photos.
I can all but guarantee you it's not that the Sequoia got smaller but the LC got bigger. We only have teaser shots, with no frame/scale of reference. In all likelihood the Sequoia also got bigger. Nothing these days is getting smaller, a new 3 series is bigger than a 2 gen old 5 series BMW. Camry is probably bigger than a 2 gen old Avalon.

I bet they reconfigured the new Sequoia to be vastly more space efficient since they started with a clean sheet and just mimicked the profile of the LC300 since we won't likely see it here. The space in the current gen Sequoia is vast but wasted [all of it is in the middle of the truck but should be in the rear]

I have always thought the Land Cruiser name might resurface as a short wheel base SUV and the Sequoia as a long wheel base 3 row seating SUV. Kind of like the Chevy Tahoe and Suburban SUVs. Another possibility I can think of, would be a Land Cruiser option package, kind of like a TRD PRo. Tweaked suspension, larger tires, different skid plates, etc…

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom