NorCal "Sleeper" Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For lighting, I'm using two Black Diamond ReMoji Lanterns to illuminate up the trunk. While this is a somewhat low-tech option, it works amazingly well.

I was initially going to install two National Luna Touch Lightbars and power them by running wire to the dome light. However, this seemed like a lot of work, and I wasn't keen on drilling into the hatchback panel.

I ordered this powerful magnet set from Amazon for about $10.

IMG_0075.jpeg

I removed the rear panel by pushing a small flathead screwdriver into the bottom seam (edge of the tailgate, not window side) 7/8" from the right and left sides.

I affixed one of the magnets on the back of the panel using the supplied 3M double-sided sticker.

IMG_0081.jpeg

I stuck the second magnet to the backside of the ReMoji.

IMG_0083.jpeg

IMG_0084.jpeg

The ReMoji now sits securely on the back panel without drilling, running wire, etc. Additionally, the ReMoji won't fall off no matter how hard I slam the hatchback. I bought a second one to fit on the bottom of the Kaon rack, and it's easy to move them around on the shelf if you need a spotlight in one particular place.

IMG_0086.jpeg

You can adjust how bright/dim you want the light to shine, and in addition to white, it also supports a full spectrum of colors accessible via double-click. I've set mine to amber to keep the bugs away, but you can choose any color in the spectrum. Did you miss this year's Phish tour due to COVID? No problem! You can cycle through the colors in strobe or solid color modes.

The lights are rechargeable via USB, and they'll last about 10 hours at 100 lumens or 100 hours at 4 lumens.

Here are some pics at night using white and red at 100 lumens, with one light on the hatch and one on the Kaon shelf:

IMG_0189.jpeg

IMG_0190.jpeg

Last edited:
For hard cases, I decided on the Zarges K440 line from ZargesUSA. Other cases in consideration were:
  • Front Runner Wolf Pack
  • Step 22
  • Roam
  • Pelican Cargo
  • Rugid
  • Plano
  • Rubbermaid
  • Expedition134
  • Alu-Box
My first goal was to create a base layer of hard cases roughly the same height as the fridge surround. From there, I could layer on soft cases or duffles that are good for filling in empty space. I also wanted air-tight cases that could strap onto my cargo carrier, which eliminated the Wolf Pack and Step 22 cases right away.

The Roam, Pelican Cargo, and Rugid cases were interesting, but I didn't care for the case volume to internal storage ratios due to the thick sides of these cases. They were also on the expensive side.

The Expedition134 cases are an excellent option. They're well-designed, air-tight, rugged, and inexpensive. The only issue I had with them was the tapered bottom, which I assume is done to stack and store better. That said, I may still purchase some of these for my cargo carrier.

Thus, the Zarges and Alu-Box boxes were clear choices, as they checked the most boxes for me. The thin sides and non-tapered shape maximize storage. They're air-tight, lightweight, rugged, stackable, and I suspect that they'll last a long time.

The Alu-Box and Zarges K470 cases appear to be very similar in construction, and the price points are roughly the same. However, ZargesUSA had a coupon that helped tip the scale in their direction. Here's a comparison of prices for cases that appear to be the same size:
  • Alu-Box 42L - $295.00
  • Zarges K470 40568 - $315.62 ($268.26 with discount code: WELCOME15)

• Alu-Box 60L - $310.00
  • Zarges K470 40678 - $322.07 ($273.76 with discount code: WELCOME15)
But there's another option, the Zarges K440 product line. From speaking with the Zarges representative, the K470 heavy-duty cases are nearly identical to the K440 medium-duty cases, except for metal vs. plastic corners and some structural reinforcements that I don't think I'll need. Otherwise, they use the same thickness aluminum, same hinges, same handles, etc. However, the cost savings with the K440 line were considerable:
  • Zarges K440 40701 - $163.57 (using discount code: WELCOME15)
  • Zarges K440 40702 - $181.84 (using discount code: WELCOME15)
So how do they fit?

If you're looking to add the Drifta drawer + Zarges case setup to your LC, here's the info you'll need. Note that the Drifta drawer heights are a standard size, but the fridge slide and surround are custom fit to the fridge that you have, so your results may vary. If anyone wants measurements taken, I'm happy to take them for you.

The Zarges K440 40701 case fits on top of the fridge surround, with about 1/8" to 1/4" clearance with the Kaon shelf. The Zarges K440 40702 cases fit in a couple of different configurations. Here's the first, which lends itself well for camp chairs to be stored on the right side:

1.jpeg

One slight bummer is that I misjudged the sizing of the lid, which causes the cases to block access to the right wing:

2.jpeg

The other configuration is a perfect fit:

3.jpeg

In fact, you could add a third K440 40702 to the front, and there's plenty of clearance for the tailgate. With the third case, a nice platform could be created for soft bags or other gear if you didn't want to use the K440 40701 on top of the fridge surround. I think I'll be purchasing a third 40702 since this works so well.

4.jpeg

Unfortunately, with the Kaon shelf, I didn't have enough room to stack the K440 40701 on top of the 40702, as this combo is 22 3/4" and I only had 22 1/8" to work with. I knew this ahead of time, however, and just decided to use soft cases on top of the Zarges.

These photos were taken with the 2nd-row seats comfortably reclined, so there will be no complaints from the kids.

While I'm very impressed with the quality of these cases, an unknown is how they will sound with gear clanking around. I might add some foam depending on the noise.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to reach out.

For lighting, I'm using two Black Diamond ReMoji Lanterns to illuminate up the trunk. While this is a somewhat low-tech option, it works amazingly well.

I was initially going to install two National Luna Touch Lightbars and power them by running wire to the dome light. However, this seemed like a lot of work, and I wasn't keen on drilling into the hatchback panel.

I ordered this powerful magnet set from Amazon for about $10.

View attachment 2886143

I removed the rear panel by pushing a small flathead screwdriver into the bottom seam (edge of the tailgate, not window side) 7/8" from the right and left sides.

I affixed one of the magnets on the back of the panel using the supplied 3M double-sided sticker.

View attachment 2886150

I stuck the second magnet to the backside of the ReMoji.

View attachment 2886151
View attachment 2886152

The ReMoji now sits securely on the back panel without drilling, running wire, etc. Additionally, the ReMoji won't fall off no matter how hard I slam the hatchback. I bought a second one to fit on the bottom of the Kaon rack, and it's easy to move them around on the shelf if you need a spotlight in one particular place.

View attachment 2886153

You can adjust how bright/dim you want the light to shine, and in addition to white, it also supports a full spectrum of colors accessible via double-click. I've set mine to amber to keep the bugs away, but you can choose any color in the spectrum. Did you miss this year's Phish tour due to COVID? No problem! You can cycle through the colors in strobe or solid color modes.

The lights are rechargeable via USB, and they'll last about 10 hours at 100 lumens or 100 hours at 4 lumens.

Here are some picks at night using white and red at 100 lumens, with one light on the hatch and one on the Kaon shelf:

View attachment 2886154
View attachment 2886156
Perfect timing, just ordered your same black diamond set up. Thank you.

I never thought about running a larger rack, that's a great idea!

If only solving for the rack covering the satellite fin, I could possibly remove the center slat or terminate it at the last cross beams, similar to how you've done this for your sunroof.
Thanks. I kinda knew what I wanted to do so I found a rack to suit versus just buying the standard rack for the 200 series. I don't listen to satellite radio at all, so covering the shark fin wasn't an issue.

Looking great so far! Good luck with your next steps!

For hard cases, I decided on the Zarges K440 line from ZargesUSA. Other cases in consideration were:
  • Front Runner Wolf Pack
  • Step 22
  • Roam
  • Pelican Cargo
  • Rugid
  • Plano
  • Rubbermaid
  • Expedition134
  • Alu-Box
My first goal was to create a base layer of hard cases roughly the same height as the fridge surround. From there, I could layer on soft cases or duffles that are good for filling in empty space. I also wanted air-tight cases that could strap onto my cargo carrier, which eliminated the Wolf Pack and Step 22 cases right away.

The Roam, Pelican Cargo, and Rugid cases were interesting, but I didn't care for the case volume to internal storage ratios due to the thick sides of these cases. They were also on the expensive side.

The Expedition134 cases are an excellent option. They're well-designed, air-tight, rugged, and inexpensive. The only issue I had with them was the tapered bottom, which I assume is done to stack and store better. That said, I may still purchase some of these for my cargo carrier.

Thus, the Zarges and Alu-Box boxes were clear choices, as they checked the most boxes for me. The thin sides and non-tapered shape maximize storage. They're air-tight, lightweight, rugged, stackable, and I suspect that they'll last a long time.

The Alu-Box and Zarges K470 cases appear to be very similar in construction, and the price points are roughly the same. However, ZargesUSA had a coupon that helped tip the scale in their direction. Here's a comparison of prices for cases that appear to be the same size:
  • Alu-Box 42L - $295.00
  • Zarges K470 40568 - $315.62 ($268.26 with discount code: WELCOME15)

• Alu-Box 60L - $310.00
  • Zarges K470 40678 - $322.07 ($273.76 with discount code: WELCOME15)
But there's another option, the Zarges K440 product line. From speaking with the Zarges representative, the K470 heavy-duty cases are nearly identical to the K440 medium-duty cases, except for metal vs. plastic corners and some structural reinforcements that I don't think I'll need. Otherwise, they use the same thickness aluminum, same hinges, same handles, etc. However, the cost savings with the K440 line were considerable:
  • Zarges K440 40701 - $163.57 (using discount code: WELCOME15)
  • Zarges K440 40702 - $181.84 (using discount code: WELCOME15)
So how do they fit?

If you're looking to add the Drifta drawer + Zarges case setup to your LC, here's the info you'll need. Note that the Drifta drawer heights are a standard size, but the fridge slide and surround are custom fit to the fridge that you have, so your results may vary. If anyone wants measurements taken, I'm happy to take them for you.

The Zarges K440 40701 case fits on top of the fridge surround, with about 1/8" to 1/4" clearance with the Kaon shelf. The Zarges K440 40702 cases fit in a couple of different configurations. Here's the first, which lends itself well for camp chairs to be stored on the right side:

View attachment 2895100

One slight bummer is that I misjudged the sizing of the lid, which causes the cases to block access to the right wing:

View attachment 2895102

The other configuration is a perfect fit:

View attachment 2895104

In fact, you could add a third K440 40702 to the front, and there's plenty of clearance for the tailgate. With the third case, a nice platform could be created for soft bags or other gear if you didn't want to use the K440 40701 on top of the fridge surround. I think I'll be purchasing a third 40702 since this works so well.

View attachment 2895108

Unfortunately, with the Kaon shelf, I didn't have enough room to stack the K440 40701 on top of the 40702, as this combo is 22 3/4" and I only had 22 1/8" to work with. I knew this ahead of time, however, and just decided to use soft cases on top of the Zarges.

These photos were taken with the 2nd-row seats comfortably reclined, so there will be no complaints from the kids.

While I'm very impressed with the quality of these cases, an unknown is how they will sound with gear clanking around. I might add some foam depending on the noise.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to reach out.

Liking the Zarges boxes. They're beautifully made, feather light, and functional. I think many would be surprised by how lithe the wall structures are leaving more space for gear. Similar boxes of other construction are much heavier and bulky leaving relatively little space for storage is what I have found in my research.

Great find on that coupon and I might just just pickup some more boxes. K440s seem to be a great place to be.

1642809566860.png

Liking the Zarges boxes. They're beautifully made, feather light, and functional. I think many would be surprised by how lithe the wall structures are leaving more space for gear. Similar boxes of other construction are much heavier and bulky leaving relatively little space for storage is what I have found in my research.

Great find on that coupon and I might just just pickup some more boxes. K440s seem to be a great place to be.

View attachment 2901561
I really like that swing out system with the case and two Jerry cans. Was that custom fabricated?

I really like that swing out system with the case and two Jerry cans. Was that custom fabricated?

Thanks. Yeah, it's custom fabricated. Here's a thread that goes into it more, and might give you some strategies for something similar

Random / simple question…but did you come up with something so that Roam case doesn’t slide around? I bought the same one and can’t get it to stay put.
I haven’t had a problem with that LC rubber mat back there. Unless I drive it real hard it doesn’t move. You could just just a small rubber door stop in front and on the side to prevent sliding.

Great write-up, Sinister.
Thanks for taking the time. Very helpful/informative.

One of the build items I was most excited about was the drawer system. The requirements were:
  • A low slide fridge, as my wife is only 5'4" and she needs to peer into and access the fridge
  • The flexibility to quickly convert from a camping configuration to a daily driving configuration
  • Efficient use of space
  • Affordable
  • Good design and aesthetics
I looked at:
  • ARB Outback
  • Landshark
  • Goose Gear
  • Air Down Gear Up
  • Trekboxx
  • Drifta
My top choice was the Trekboxx, and having seen it in person, I can attest that it is a kick-ass system. But, unfortunately, it was more than I could afford.

So I went with the Drifta Drawer System, as it appeared to check the most boxes for me. The systems are built in Australia, custom-made for your vehicle and fridge size. Mine took about ten months to arrive, and while the prices on the website are in Australian dollars, you'll end up paying about that same amount in USD. I ordered the Drifta Wagon #2 design with a few customizations. They also have a 3-in-1 design if an additional drawer is desired.

The system arrived very well packaged with no damage at all.

View attachment 2885562

Here is the camping configuration:

View attachment 2885681

The fridge slide locks closed and fully extended, and I installed custom flush-mount tie-downs. The fridge surround is a custom fit to your fridge, and it has several round ports in the back for ventilation and power cables. A National Luna Legacy 50's lid will clear the hatch and open fully, which allows you to use two hands to get items out of the fridge.

The drawer is roomy, and the interior dimensions are 39.25 x 20.5 x 7.25h. Instead of using traditional slide hardware that takes up 3/4" on each side, the Drifta drawer slides on Teflon strips, providing more overall storage room. I decided to wait on installing flush tie-downs on top of the drawer until I have some time to put the cases in and measure everything.

Beneath the drawer is a slide-out table that can be used as a small workspace (as shown), or it can be removed entirely and set up as a camp table using the folding legs beneath it. I requested a customization to have the table located below the drawer instead of above it, as this is a more comfortable height for my wife, who is 5'4".

The side compartments can be accessed by pulling off the top panels. They rest on three removable shelf brackets, which is not the best design, and I think the style of hinges that Trexboxx uses works better.

View attachment 2885564

For the daily driver configuration, the fridge surround can be removed, and you can order an additional drawer box (secured with bolts) and a top panel to create a flat platform.

View attachment 2885565View attachment 2885566

I'm very impressed with the system. It's exceptionally well built, there are no squeaks or rattles as you drive, and it looks great.

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out.
I have the same setup in my 2018. Agree with everything you have said. I built my own cover over the Engel to save on shipping..

22112112-21B3-4926-8CB9-8A9C7BFA4A23.jpeg

CB6ACC3E-22C9-4689-960F-323C074D6EB6.jpeg

Nice tip on the ReMoji lights…you influenced me to order (3), which now makes you an “outdoor product influencer” 😜

Any concerns with that light becoming a projectile in a rapid stop/accident?

This past weekend I followed Sinister’s advice and used magnets to fasten the Remoji light like suggested.

And yeah, the projectile idea only occurred to me this morning.

It’s down lower than the back of the rear seat, so it would likely hit the back of the seat. But still… now I’m considering keeping it in the storage area and only sticking it to the magnet as needed.

I don't mean to be a pessimist, but a long time ago I was a firefighter and we responded to motor vehicle accidents. Loose stuff rockets around and ends up everywhere. It can do a lot of damage if it hits anyone.

Any concerns with that light becoming a projectile in a rapid stop/accident?
I don’t have any concerns at all. The light isn’t heavy and it’s round with no sharp edges. In the event of a rear end collision, it would most likely hit the back seat anyway. The only way the light becomes dislodged is when my son decides he is trying to close a Steel vault and slams the back hatch.

I don't mean to be a pessimist, but a long time ago I was a firefighter and we responded to motor vehicle accidents. Loose stuff rockets around and ends up everywhere. It can do a lot of damage if it hits anyone.
Very true but if the collision is that hard and violent I would think that light may be the least of your worries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom