'95 HDJ81 Cruise Control Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hoping someone with a '95 JDM HDJ81 can chime in, do the newer trucks still have the speed limiter on the cruise control of about 108km/h like the older trucks?

I have a 91 HDJ81 and have set it at 110 KM. Seems to keep that speed no problem but I have tried higher. I running 295/75/16 with no speedo correction so I don't push it.

Bump for someone with a newer HDJ81 to confirm if the cruise speed limiter is still in place, does anyone know someone with a '95+ HDJ81 that could chime in?

Bumping again, anyone able to chime in?

I've got a project in the works, should have an update in a couple of weeks...

Hey, my 96' will go past that and set the cruise no problem. Is this what you're wondering? I'm using a early HDJ81 cruise motor with a 96' FZJ computer though is this makes a difference

The max speed could vary between intended markets

Hey, my 96' will go past that and set the cruise no problem. Is this what you're wondering? I'm using a early HDJ81 cruise motor with a 96' FZJ computer though is this makes a difference

Your truck is manual trans too, correct? Interesting that the cruise doesn't appear to care which trans it's running through, on the 1HD-T it's literally just looking after the throttle and the brake signal to cancel. Perfect!

The max speed could vary between intended markets

This is what I'm working on, I've got a '94 North American spec CC ecu on the way, I've confirmed the plug and pins are visually the same, my hope is this will be a plug and play solution to getting rid of the CC governor. I'd been operating under the assumption that I'd want to find a replacement that was paired with the same A442F electronically controlled trans as I have, but as per @Rock40 above that may not even have been necessary.

Yes, I'm running the manual trans. The CC computer doesn't care if you have a manual or auto trans, it's just looking for the right signal that the trans is in "Drive" with the brake off. Getting around that and "fooling" the CC computer only involved un-pinning one wire. The factory wiring is through the Neutral Safety Switch but I don't have that either and it works great.

Can you confirm plug & play working, I have a 96 FZJ ECU available, can I place it into the 95 HDJ81?
Your truck is manual trans too, correct? Interesting that the cruise doesn't appear to care which trans it's running through, on the 1HD-T it's literally just looking after the throttle and the brake signal to cancel. Perfect!

This is what I'm working on, I've got a '94 North American spec CC ecu on the way, I've confirmed the plug and pins are visually the same, my hope is this will be a plug and play solution to getting rid of the CC governor. I'd been operating under the assumption that I'd want to find a replacement that was paired with the same A442F electronically controlled trans as I have, but as per @Rock40 above that may not even have been necessary.

Confirmed plug & play working in my truck for years now, I don't know what years ecu's would be compatible with what year trucks, you'll have to experiment on your own if you're looking to mix and match.

I have a 96 JDM sourced HDJ81. The cruise control seems to be limited to 120kph and below.

I can't even get my cruise control to work. I have read that the brake lights are part of the system, and that LED brake lights don't work with cruise control. Is this true? I have aftermarket LED tail lights, so I am wondering. The light on the dash comes on when I push the cruise button, but it won't hold a speed. I would so love to get it working! It has the Auto transmission.

I can't even get my cruise control to work. I have read that the brake lights are part of the system, and that LED brake lights don't work with cruise control. Is this true? I have aftermarket LED tail lights, so I am wondering. The light on the dash comes on when I push the cruise button, but it won't hold a speed. I would so love to get it working! It has the Auto transmission.
When I bought my LX it did same. PO had disconnected the cable from throttle in the cruise box under hood.

When I bought my LX it did same. PO had disconnected the cable from throttle in the cruise box under hood.
Interesting. I'll have to take a look at that. Where is this little box located? Is it the one on the drivers' side (RHD) up near the firewall? And did plugging the cable back in solve the issue?

Interesting. I'll have to take a look at that. Where is this little box located? Is it the one on the drivers' side (RHD) up near the firewall? And did plugging the cable back in solve the issue?
E5E37277-624A-45E0-B344-4FAE11D98EF4.jpeg

Sometimes it's bad trailer wiring...check that your brakes function properly.

The unit in the picture is the Cruise Control actuator. Should have a plastic cover over the parts that you can see. It often benefits from lubricating the pivot points for the actuators.
Lack of speed under cruise control could be caused by slack in the cable between the cruise control module and the engine end as the module can only pull so far on the cable. Cruise control will give error codes using the CC indicator light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom