Power Steering Relocation Bracket and Dual OBA (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very nice! I would suggest as a small upgrade, using an MS21919 Adel clamp instead of the modified hose clamp.

View attachment 2899330

I searched up and down for something like this in the correct diameter but never could find anything. If this is available in the correct size it would be awesome. I’ll check it out.

You're in a big 34" tire with 17" wheels so that definitely gets into tire volume that a single compressor will struggle with. Just as I found going from 33s to 35s, and when I upgraded from single to twin compressor. Good info and may be something for @AnyMal to consider depending on his tire size goal.

Interestingly, the 400C is 30%+ faster than the 450C for pressures relevant to tires. It draws more amps. Trade is that it's not continuous duty, but that again doesn't matter for tire relevant pressures.

Yeah, when I had 33s on 20s my 400p worked great. Definitely a lot more volume now. I debated going with a double but that would require a little more plumbing and wiring and I think a 20% increase would be enough for me. I’m still thinking on it though.

Good stuff. Is that specifically the diameter of the steering reservoir? Would be cool if that was. That's the other part of my hack with the band clamp as it's adjustable to the right diameter.
They are available in a wide range of diameters, from 1/16” to 4 1/4” at least. The dash number identifies the diameter.
0C6EA96D-10CD-486B-A490-9DBE11738142.png

Yeah, when I had 33s on 20s my 400p worked great. Definitely a lot more volume now. I debated going with a double but that would require a little more plumbing and wiring and I think a 20% increase would be enough for me. I’m still thinking on it though.
I think we have same tire size and same compressor. Mine inflates at around 1.8-2 psi per min with all 4 tires going at a time. It’s not blazing, but I can find something to do for 10 min.

The 440p and 420c are the only single units that move more air than the 400c. And the 440p is pretty much out for mounting under hood since it’s only IP54 rated.

In looking over the charts this time, there is now a 400C with a big heat sink attached to it. That would be cool. Adventure Series OBA

They are available in a wide range of diameters, from 1/16” to 4 1/4” at least. The dash number identifies the diameter. View attachment 2899361

Sweet! Just took a measurement and the middle of the resevoir is 82mm (3.25"). Would need a little bending of the tabs as the radiator ear is at a more tangential angle, though there's a bit of flexibility in how exactly one wants to locate it. Just be sure the tube under clears the accessory belt.

1642641738343.png

I'm playing with mounting my 400p this way. The compressor will sit under the shield and I'll likely notch the side of the engine cover for access.

I appreciate this thread and the ideas and inspiration. Thanks!

That's a very cool idea. One thing to consider is that the 400p is not IP rated and so is not suitable for potential wet locations. Under the cover, you may be able to get away with it, but with any sort of rain or water splashing up, it may be risky.

That's a very cool idea. One thing to consider is that the 400p is not IP rated and so is not suitable for potential wet locations. Under the cover, you may be able to get away with it, but with any sort of rain or water splashing up, it may be risky.
Good to keep in mind. More risky if it's getting splashed while using it, which won't happen for my use case (not for air lockers, only airing up)

I don't know if they upped their IP game, but this is directly from Viair: IP54

Protected against dust limited ingress, no harmful deposits.
Protected against water splashed from all directions, limited ingress permitted.

Good to keep in mind. More risky if it's getting splashed while using it, which won't happen for my use case (not for air lockers, only airing up)

I don't know if they upped their IP game, but this is directly from Viair: IP54

Protected against dust limited ingress, no harmful deposits.
Protected against water splashed from all directions, limited ingress permitted.

Yeah, sorry. When I think IP rated, I think IP67, which I think is what would be safe (ie water and dust proof) for outside the cab. It may be fine though. I have a 400p as well as the OBA 400c and it is a great portable. It may be fine under there.

Yeah, sorry. When I think IP rated, I think IP67, which I think is what would be safe (ie water and dust proof) for outside the cab. It may be fine though. I have a 400p as well as the OBA 400c and it is a great portable. It may be fine under there.
It'll be fine until it isn't..I liked to automatic shutoff and so we'll run it for now.

I tried to fit it in the slee second battery tray by the power steering reservoir but it wouldn't fit. And that slee second battery tray scratches up your fender and is a bit too wide for the space you've got there.

I like @TeCKis300 's custom setup.

It'll be fine until it isn't..I liked to automatic shutoff and so we'll run it for now.

I tried to fit it in the slee second battery tray by the power steering reservoir but it wouldn't fit. And that slee second battery tray scratches up your fender and is a bit too wide for the space you've got there.

I like @TeCKis300 's custom setup.
Absolutely. How do you plan to wire it in?

I just made a simple mount plate for my 400c to fit in that spot:

0BB3FA0A-722F-44BA-A920-0A4CB87F6EF2.jpeg

Some leftover 10awg directly to the battery with a 40A fuse on a positive terminal fuse block.
If you do decide to go with the 400c down the road, a simple manifold and pressure switch (<$20) will provide the automatic features of the 400p.

After seeing all these pictures of it behind the headlight, I'm rethinking my install and wanting to move to there. I like how it's hidden behind the grill, but makes it difficult to get to in case i need to. Also, making it the front line of defense to any incoming water seems foolish, even if it worked after the first time.

Thanks for posting, I think I'm going to relocate my power steering reservoir to make way for my PUMA compressor :cool:

/threadbump

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom