Builds Stretched 1-Ton FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Transmission mount
Transmission mount is done. Next up are the scab plates for the frame extension.

E92E4862-FA1C-4A4B-BA0D-549B9278A81D.jpeg

915AEA11-FC7C-4B69-8E44-A7BE7DA66A3C.jpeg

570AB9AF-D827-4334-B4CC-F2ED9FBBBF62.jpeg

709D1479-48C4-4FFC-AC39-1B5510DC2705.jpeg

B729B65C-690B-4D6F-93FE-103785468961.jpeg

image.jpg

Thanks for the tip, @matzell. I had planned on putting a t-case mount as well though I am reconsidering it based on guidance from AA. They told me that they have had a few Atlases come back with broken tail housings around the area where a rear mounted brace was mounted and they no longer warranty that piece if a mount is installed there. What are your thoughts about that? I may still put a mount back there despite their guidance. What does your mount look like?

Something like this: Atlas Support Ring - https://www.wideopendesign.com/wide-open-design-atlas-support-ring

or this

I have a 205 and use the tmr mount

I'm using a 205 rear output mount from nwf. X2 what Matt said, you really need something.

9/16 is the size I went with.

At least 5/8 on the lowers. I use 3/4 on all, you need to re-torque them after every outing/race so it makes it easier to use the same wrenches/sockets on all of them. Think about it. Leaf spring pins are 16mm or 5/8 for most. Be sure to use a lot of anti-seize on all parts of the heim. IF you can swing it get stainless steel misalignment spacers.

At least 5/8 on the lowers. I use 3/4 on all, you need to re-torque them after every outing/race so it makes it easier to use the same wrenches/sockets on all of them. Think about it. Leaf spring pins are 16mm or 5/8 for most. Be sure to use a lot of anti-seize on all parts of the heim. IF you can swing it get stainless steel misalignment spacers.
3/4 it is. I had stainless steel misalignment spacers on my old steering, which was installed for 20 years. It looks like the Ruffstuff kits only have the option for zinc spacers. What is the drawback with using zinc spacers?
And lube the rod ends periodically too.
Thanks for the tip!

3/4 it is. I had stainless steel misalignment spacers on my old steering, which was installed for 20 years. It looks like the Ruffstuff kits only have the option for zinc spacers. What is the drawback with using zinc spacers?

Thanks for the tip!

Question, are we talking about bolt size, or shank size? For bolt size, 3/4 seems way overkill to me, If you aren't hauling ass through the rocks or desert, 5/8 is more than enough. The shear strength of a grade 8 9/16 bolt is more than enough (~27K lbs). A 3/4 has 50K shear strength. Shank size is a different thing, I went with 1 1/4 Johnny Joints.

Thanks for the tip!
The zink is more likely to seize on the bolt. Anti-seize helps but I have had to cut bolts out to get things apart.

look into aluminum links, Branik makes nice ones, or Wide Open Design. The steel ones, even 2" .250 wall can easily bend even when trail riding. For the cost of bungs and tube it is not that much more. The uppers are fine for DOM

Last edited:
Question, are we talking about bolt size, or shank size? For bolt size, 3/4 seems way overkill to me, If you aren't hauling ass through the rocks or desert, 5/8 is more than enough. The shear strength of a grade 8 9/16 bolt is more than enough (~27K lbs). A 3/4 has 50K shear strength. Shank size is a different thing, I went with 1 1/4 Johnny Joints.
We are talking bolt size. I am using 5/8 currently and I may stick with that instead of 3/4. I’ll make a decision this weekend.
The zink is more likely to seize on the bolt. Anti-seize helps but I have had to cut bolts out to get things apart.

look into aluminum links, Branik makes nice ones, or Wide Open Design. The steel ones, even 2" .250 wall can easily bend even when trail riding. For the cost of bungs and tube it is not that much more. The uppers are fine for DOM

You are helping the economy! I hadn’t even considered aluminum links until now. They must be solid aluminum? What size would you run? 2”?

We are talking bolt size. I am using 5/8 currently and I may stick with that instead of 3/4. I’ll make a decision this weekend.

You are helping the economy! I hadn’t even considered aluminum links until now. They must be solid aluminum? What size would you run? 2”?

I've used the 2" links from WOD. They work great. Way stronger, easier to use, and they look really good as well. I used 9/16 on my uppers, and 5/8 on my lowers IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom